Mannlicher-Schönauer M1903/14/30 Carbine

Thread: Mannlicher-Schönauer M1903/14/30 Carbine

geladen is online now Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

Default Mannlicher-Schönauer M1903/14/30 Carbine

I just found a Steyr Greek Mannlicher-Schönauer M1903/14/30 carbine on Gunbroker. It is well used but finding one is hard, finding one in good condition harder, and finding one in good condition and affordable is next to impossible.

25,000 of these were sold by Steyr to Greece in 1930. Where did they all go? I imagine a good number of them are still in the hills of Greece.

Mine is mismatched, the rear sight leaf has been replaced with a cut down M1903/14 rifle sight leaf, the front sight guard has been cut off, and the stock is cracked. I'm still very glad to have it. I had a junk cleaning rod with the threads broken off. It was small enough in diameter to fit, so I shortened it and stuck it in the channel. That was after I had to remove the cleaning rod nut and clean out the dead bug hotel in the channel. I did clean the nut so if a miracle happens and I find a correct rod, I will be able to screw it in. What I can tell from photos is that some of the Greek carbines had a rod with a round hole in the tip and others had a rectangular slot. I suspect the rod tips were different in the M1903, M1903/14, and M1903/14/30 carbines.

I was also able to find a Gnutti bayonet and scabbard at ebayonet.com. The condition matches my carbine. Then I found an ORIGINAL Greek frog on Ebay (from Greece). I had what I think is an FN sling and it looks OK on the carbine. I also have some ammo I bought for my M1903/14/27 long rifle. The cross screw for the rear band was missing. I found out that a slot head screw from a VZ24 rear band is an exact replacement. I had one (and only one) with a slot head. I wonder if that is really a Mannlicher screw that someone put in a VZ24 band.

The cut down rifle sight leaf hits the spring and does not come all the way down. I don't know it that is because my carbine has a cut down rifle sight spring, or what. Probably the pin location in the original carbine leaf was a bit lower than is the current pin location in the cut down rifle leaf. After thinking about how to fix it, I decided to just give the same advice the Greek armorer did: "Aim a bit low". At least the carbine range marks are also on the side of the sight so the rifle range marks on the top face of the leaf can be disregarded. Oddly enough, there is another Gunboards member who has a Greek carbine with cut down rifle leaf. I wonder if the carbine sight leafs had a habit of getting lost and the only replacement parts were rifle leafs.

The long rifle in the last photo is a Breda M1903/14/27.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Greek M1903-14-30 1.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 2.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 3.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 4.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 5.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 6.jpg.JPG  

Greek M1903-14-30 7.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 8.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 9.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 10.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 11.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 12.jpg.JPG  

Last edited by geladen; 05-15-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

All my Mausers are here (Index is in post #1):
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?144316-Mausers-Only-Mausers

III, GOA Life

More photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Greek M1903-14-30 13.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 14.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 15.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 16.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 17.jpg.JPG   Greek M1903-14-30 18.jpg.JPG  

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Very nice Bill. I like the patina on it. How's the bore?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin1945 View Post
    Very nice Bill. I like the patina on it. How's the bore?
    Hi, Ed. The bore is just barely acceptable; I would rate it as fair, maybe fair +. It still has rifling so maybe it might still be accurate enough. I have ammo for all my guns but I will probably never shoot it.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Keep on trucking Bill.

The roughly hacksawed-off front sight wings are seen on a great many Greek M-S carbines, and must have been routinely done by some secondary user. Does anybody know for sure who it was?

M

I see bayonet was made in Italy by Eredi Gnutti Brescia. It came with Breda 1927 made Mannlicher Schoenhauer made for greek government.

It started with a Wanzl! Some photos of a Birmingham proofed System 30. The marks above the shield are BNP + crown and the proofs will also be seen to the rear of the foresight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0201.JPG   IMGP0202.jpg   IMGP0203.jpg   IMGP0204.jpg   IMGP0205.jpg   IMGP0206.jpg  

IMGP0207.jpg   IMGP0208.jpg   IMGP0209.jpg   IMGP0210.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by staffy View Post
    It started with a Wanzl! Some photos of a Birmingham proofed System 30. The marks above the shield are BNP + crown and the proofs will also be seen to the rear of the foresight.
    I wish mine was in that condition - but if it was I couldn't afford it.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    I wish mine was in that condition - but if it was I couldn't afford it.
    +1; Bill,your example is much better than mine. Brian.

I have a Greek Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1903/14 in good condition. I bought it years ago from a WWII veteran. He told me that during WWII they entered a warehouse in Germany and there were all of these rifles in there so he grabbed one. Maybe that's where they went.

Quote Originally Posted by staffy View Post
    ...Some photos of a Birmingham proofed System 30. ...
    That is an exceptional carbine in every respect.

Where was it found?

M

Lucky find in Adelaide, S. Australia about 12 yrs ago, stands in at Aus$400.00. Just can't predict what will turn up if patient. A rather nice G98/40 ends the run of Mannlichers.

It is practically a miracle to find a Greek MS carbine in such fine condition with a matching-numbered bolt, a deep and clear St. George, and original cleaning rod. That one is a treasure.

M

Nick is online now Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Quote Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
    It is practically a miracle to find a Greek MS carbine in such fine condition with a matching-numbered bolt, a deep and clear St. George, and original cleaning rod. That one is a treasure.

M
    A dime a dozen here...

Probably cheaper in California as JPS has about 50 of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M-S5.jpg   M-S4.jpg   M-S3.jpg   M-S1.jpg   M-S2.jpg  
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець