Awards, Prizes and Trophies given for achievments, hard work or big support.

Thread: Awards, Prizes and Trophies given for achievments, hard work or big support.

Default Awards, Prizes and Trophies given for achievments, hard work or big support.

Have a feeling its about time to start a special thread around this matters. Can see that collectors around the World giving this items more appreciation than from where they origin. Good! Many of this interesting pieces may otherwise be thrown away or melted down.
    Why dont we slowly show one item at a time and see what info can be found around them?

I start with this little nice ironblock formed to a 80 mm (4 inches) tall statue. Made by an artist with initials X.C. (unknown for me at this time). We can see an old volunteer sharpshooter in front of the typical irontarget used in the time for the muzzleloader "Wrede" used between 1861 and to around 1870.
    This prize awarded to shooters at "Stockholmstidningens Riksskyttetidning" 1963. The last year only m/96 and m/94 rifles were used. It was a major postal competition set up by the newspaper "Stockholmstidningen" in the beginnig of the 20s and gathered around 20-30000 shooters even in 1963. We dont see this prize so often so maybe not that many of them were given.

Any thoughts around this prize? (next upp after this I want FlightRN to expose nice items already shown in another thread.....).

Arms are for hugging

Default FSR Swedish Shooting Trophies

Good Day All,
    My Thanks to Arilar for the lead-in. I've acquired a few FSR trophies. Friends in Sweden taught me a few generalities about them.

The early shooter, with the rifle under his arm, is approximately 10.5" tall without the wooden base and as an award, it was manufactured between 1910-1935. This particular example came from a shooter in Eskilstuna and is dated 1911.

The late one, with the rifle resting on the ground in about 10" tall and was produced from 1930-35 was in use at least until circa 1960, possibly later. They originally came in two different plating's, bronze and silver grade, with the "silver" sometimes being nickel plating.

The kneeling figure is approximately 5" tall. These were given from circa 1920 to 1960 and is representative of a Swedish FSR shooter in the old pattern shooting uniform. The plaque indicates it was awarded during a competition in 1944.

I tried uploading the pictures upright but the picture program kept fighting me. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    MichaelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Statues left.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	2233370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Statues right.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	2233378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Statues bright.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	2233362
    Last edited by swede; 05-16-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Great! We must discuss this nice statues further. To begin with do I wich a closeup on the plaque from the kneeling figure. Also on the name of the Eskilstuna shooter (closeup on that plaque also of course).
    Arms are for hugging

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

While waiting on closeup on the plaque for FlightRN:s kneeling shooter, here some pics on the same statue within my borders. First thing to take in mind is that when FSR started 1893 they disapproved on the earlier Volunteer Sharpshooters habit to march and to be using uniform. Therefore FSR didnt approve on any official uniform but 1911 and 1940 instead called clothing with hat or cap, what we certainly would look at as an uniform,......a shooting dress!!
    This kneeling shooter is using a shooting dress very popular in beginning of 20s Century and influenced from "Boer-style". The FSR-shooters supported the Boers fight against Brittany.
    This statue is for me for sure linked to the 40s and 50s. Surprised it came already in the 20s! FlightRN, can you adress your Swedish contact and let him/her give us info on how we can see that this statue was in business already that early? Always eager to learn more

Arms are for hugging

Default FSR Swedish Shooting trophies plaques

Good Day All,
    Its been a busy week. Here is requested picture of the plaques on the statues I have.
    Regards,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FSR statue plates.jpg  

Thanks FligthRN.
    On the kneeling statues plaque to read: "1sta pris i uttagningstävling till Trollhällepokalen 1944". That tells that it has been rewarded to a shooter (in a shooting club) that was the winner in the selection for a later competition called "Trollhättepokalen". Hasnt found any info in shootingmagazine regarding the competition Trollhättepokalen. Probably a team-competition between two or more shootingclubs and the prize and competition Trollhällepokalen erected by the shooting-club from Trollhättan. I have the "memorybook" about Trollhättans Skarpskytteförening that tells its history from 1862-1962. Trollhättans Skarpskytteförening was a major club at that time. Nothing in this book either but a lot were going on with different competitions in FSR 1944.
    So.....this statue was an individual prize for the best shooter in the team that was selected to be shooting the big match "Trollhättepokalen". Exist more prizes like this that is lifting individuals and their results that later is to be a part of a team-event.
    Arms are for hugging

And the plaque on one of my kneeling shooters tells that that statue was a "Prize of Honour given be Mörsils lottakår". Lottakår was the volunteer corps of women that was supporting like the homeguard but dealing with not combat support.
    Still surprised that this statue was in use as early as the 20s according to FlightRN contacts. Would very much appreciate info that support this!
    I would say that this statue is fairly common to find. The standing shooter with rifle under his arm is in contrary rather rare to find. Will discuss this one later on.
    Arms are for hugging

Quote Originally Posted by arilar View Post
    Thanks FligthRN.
    On the kneeling statues plaque to read: "1sta pris i uttagningstävling till Trollhällepokalen 1944". That tells that it has been rewarded to a shooter (in a shooting club) that was the winner in the selection for a later competition called "Trollhättepokalen". Hasnt found any info in shootingmagazine regarding the competition Trollhättepokalen. Probably a team-competition between two or more shootingclubs and the prize and competition Trollhällepokalen erected by the shooting-club from Trollhättan. I have the "memorybook" about Trollhättans Skarpskytteförening that tells its history from 1862-1962. Trollhättans Skarpskytteförening was a major club at that time. Nothing in this book either but a lot were going on with different competitions in FSR 1944.
    So.....this statue was an individual prize for the best shooter in the team that was selected to be shooting the big match "Trollhättepokalen". Exist more prizes like this that is lifting individuals and their results that later is to be a part of a team-event.
    Good Day All,
    I received a response from one of my contacts. Unfortunately, his knowledge of the date range is empirical and only based on examples seen over the years. He did state he hasn't seen one dated before mid-1920's and the majority are 1940's. He went on to say that, because the plaques on their bases were usually solid silver, many have been removed for scrap value leaving two holes showing where the plates once were. My particular example is firmly anchored to the base but if one such award is found without the base, a look on the inside might reveal a casting/foundry marking that could indicate who and when the statue was made.

I find it interesting how its been suggested that the slouch hat was inspired by the Boer War uniforms. When asked about it further, I was informed the experimental fm/03 army uniform was rather similar to these figures. Later the m/06 and m/10, with the tricorn hat. Would this not put the design prior to WWI? It was posit the original design for this statue was taken from an imported mold or figure, possible of some WWI foreign soldier, which was then altered to look "more Swedish". I have not facts other than that at this time but will continue to reach out to my contacts.
    Michael

I suspect your contacts are dealers more than collectors (and maybe not so heavy into FSR-history). Probably your contacts also are familiar with me.
    Yes, the fm/03 uniform was influenced by the Boer-war (ended May 1902) and first tests in Sweden actually already during 1902!
    Of course no need to use a foreign "model" for a FSR shooting statue when uniform already in use 1903 AND FSR clubs shooting dress ,in this style, in use 1904 (if not 1903). .......I personally belive this statue in use as early as 1920s first when I can see it proven....... So, sure the uniform and shooting dress are prior to WW1!
    The old book (printed 1973) "Dräkt och uniform", by Erik Bellander is regarded the Bible about old Swedish uniforms. It states that the tricorn is influenced by the old Swedish Carolus hats and not the Boer-war. Maybe so but FSR clubs shooting dresses more likely leaning towards slouch hats style as in the Boer conflict. So, when talking about just the hat differs opinion slightly when looking at uniform fm/03 and FSR clubs shootingdress.
    Funny, walked throúgh a high-school today and saw a collection of old prizes. Include three of this kneeling shooter and they were marked 1942 or 1943.....
    Arms are for hugging

Here is a pic from January 1904 showing an ad from a producer of a "Shooting uniform". FSR:s secretary W. Wahlquist calls it a "Shooting dress" in the same ad.

This is the shooting dress used by shooting club "Stockholms Amatör Förening" and in the Magazine of March 1904.

Arms are for hugging