Capitaine Pierre Billotte's feat at Stonne in 1940.

Thread: Capitaine Pierre Billotte's feat at Stonne in 1940.

Cool Capitaine Pierre Billotte's feat at Stonne in 1940.

Anniversary... Capitaine Pierre Billotte's feat at Stonne in 1940.
    I just got this email (below) from board member Leon , I pasted it below. This feat at Stonne is awesome and the rest of that site is extremely well done and interesting. Recommend it highly.

Skip: since your father was a tanker, I thought I'd remind the gang that
    today is the anniversary of Capitaine Pierre Billotte's feat at Stonne
    in 1940.

http://www.johnsmilitaryhistory.com/Stonne.html

So Clyde and all the wanna be armor types, saddle up and see what a ass kicking Captain did to the Germans in 1940. He handed the Germans their lunch.

And if you are a Tanker for real (throw a track), read what a great tanker with a well trained crew did , using initiative, fire power and guts.

I posted this in the minefield to stir them up

53 readers and no comment. One could take that to mean deaf ears to French fighting well in 1940 and American bias is alive and well...facts to change ones mind are not appreciated.

A story I have never heard before.
    He seems to have done well with the Char B. Wonder if he did most of the shooting with the 47 or let the crew use the 75.
    Since the Char B compares somewhat to the later U. S. M-3 medium that did well when first used by the British in Africa you wonder why there are not more stories like this.
    Gary

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The French TC must have had amazing multi-tasking skills: command the tank, load, aim, and fire the turret gun, analyze and react to the unfolding tactical situation; any one of those tasks would've been enough to occupy most men!

Quote Originally Posted by NY50/70 View Post
    A story I have never heard before.
    He seems to have done well with the Char B. Wonder if he did most of the shooting with the 47 or let the crew use the 75.
    Since the Char B compares somewhat to the later U. S. M-3 medium that did well when first used by the British in Africa you wonder why there are not more stories like this.
    Gary
    IIRC the hull gun was a low-velocity howitzer, and you had to turn the entire tank to aim it. I'd expect he used the 47.
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

Read some favorable but cursory comments on the Char B many years ago, that they could defeat the Panzers up through the Mark IV. As in this story the deficiencies of French Army command in training, organizing, supplying and concentrating its forces were blamed for the ultimate defeats. As I recall the conclusion was that France had more than enough assets to defeat Germany IF THEY HAD BEEN PROPERLY USED!
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

Quote Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
    The French TC must have had amazing multi-tasking skills: command the tank, load, aim, and fire the turret gun, analyze and react to the unfolding tactical situation; any one of those tasks would've been enough to occupy most men!
    Yes Sir, you are on the money there. Add that the driver was the main gun operator so he had to load and shoot while moving hull to line main gun on targets....driver/gunner had his hands full too.

I admire this TC and his crew..they were warriors.

One badass tread head.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by jjk308 View Post
    Read some favorable but cursory comments on the Char B many years ago, that they could defeat the Panzers up through the Mark IV. As in this story the deficiencies of French Army command in training, organizing, supplying and concentrating its forces were blamed for the ultimate defeats. As I recall the conclusion was that France had more than enough assets to defeat Germany IF THEY HAD BEEN PROPERLY USED!
    All I have seen indicates those comments are correct. Char B (and other French tanks) had one EXTREMEMLY serious deficiency, and that was the one man turret. a two-man turret (TC and gunner/loader) would have made it about 100% better, while a proper three-man turret (TC, gunner, loader) would made it 150-175% better from what armor guys told me. The 47mm gun it had would defeat any contemporary Panzer through Mark IV at ranges beyond what the Panzer with possible exception of the latest Mark III with 50mm. Am not sure any of those were in issue in mid-1940. Char B was a good tank, except for the turret. Not as fast as some, and without great un-refueled range, but not alone in that.

I suspect it might have, given a three-man turret, have been capable of being up-gunned to 6-pounder, and been able to hold its own against the Germans until probably 1942.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)