Gunboards Forums banner

1955 Tula SKS

5K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  Bobby Ricigliano 
#1 ·
I picked up this 1955 SKS recently. It is only the second Russian SKS I have ever had the chance to buy. I did some research, and found two other 1955 SKS rifles with the same letter prefix, OL. Martin08 posted a nice one here, and I forget where I saw the second. It is perfect, except for one area on the bolt cover. I see no evidence of it being shot in a long time.

Anyways, I am undecided on what I am going to do with it. Could use the money to fund some stuff, or would look nice sitting in the safe. I am hoping yall can point me in the right direction.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I see why everyone posts photos in the second post now......here are more. If that first post is too distracting, let me know and I will change it.

Attachments

#4 ·
Anyways, I am undecided on what I am going to do with it. Could use the money to fund some stuff, or would look nice sitting in the safe. I am hoping yall can point me in the right direction.
You could sell it and probably make a hundred to a few hundred $$ on the deal (depending on what you paid), but I think I would hang onto it. 55's are simply not found in any great quantity looking like that (as-issued, good condition, though the stock may have been hit with another coat of finish in it's lifetime). Like M08 says, the discoloration on the receiver cover is normal, don't fret over that at all. You have a very nice gun that would be difficult to replace (or at least impossible to replace quickly and/or cheaply) should you sell it and then have regrets.

Nice gun,thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Nice get!

Many SKS collectors would scoff at the suggestion of parting with such a great rifle.

But if the SKS aint your thing, and if you got it for a good price you could very easily sell/trade up to acquire something else you might be more interested in.

I'm in the scoffing group-- but that's the group where you'll likely find the best offer should you decide to sell.

good luck.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the comments. Sometimes it is hard to keep a collection focused. The first milsurp I ever shot was my uncles Russian SKS. Picking this one up reminds me of that!

I need to get some non hotel room/ gun shop photos of this rifle. It really is beautiful.

#10 ·
i have two of these in my collection, neither of them have the Tula star or the date stamped in the stock. I do not know which one is more rare, but I have had one other that did have the date and Tula star stamped in the stock. Post 1955 rifles do not have the date or the Tula star markings on the stock or on the receiver. As stated previously, 1955 dated Russians are quite hard to find, so you are certainly to be congratulated for obtaining this very nice Russian, that has not been re-arsenalled.

#20 ·
hurlyman:
Along with the beautiful all-matching metal components, that type of Russian wood and type of stain is my #1 favorite, of Any rifle wood I've ever seen. Without a doubt.

Not kidding here at all. Even among the labor-intensive nice finishes on so many AKs, they never have that unique blend of natural warm brown and smoky red.

Unless you really need quick gun cash (willing to lose cash when impatient), most of us would regret selling that picturesque rifle. It would be an asset in the Louvres, in Paris.

#21 ·
I picked up this 1955 SKS recently. It is only the second Russian SKS I have ever had the chance to buy. I did some research, and found two other 1955 SKS rifles with the same letter prefix, OL. Martin08 posted a nice one here, and I forget where I saw the second. It is perfect, except for one area on the bolt cover. I see no evidence of it being shot in a long time.

Does any one know what a gun like this is worth today in 2022? I have one and its also a 55r and in very good shape all matching numbers.
Sleeve Wood Shotgun Air gun Gun accessory

#26 ·
Any 55 Tula in all matching original condition is very collectible. I don’t see 55’s for sale often. I can’t see the tell tale proofs around the crossbolt or the circular proof on the right side of the stock, but they are often faint and there is a lot of finish wear on your stock. I would expect to see the Tula Star and year above the serial number on the stock, but I think some 55’s had them and some didn’t due to it being near the end of production. All the metal looks correct for a non-refurb with no crinkle bbq refinishing.

For quick sale, I’d say $750. Most likely it could fetch more for a patient seller.

#27 ·
Any 55 Tula in all matching original condition is very collectible. I don’t see 55’s for sale often. I can’t see the tell tale proofs around the crossbolt or the circular proof on the right side of the stock, but they are often faint and there is a lot of finish wear on your stock. I would expect to see the Tula Star and year above the serial number on the stock, but I think some 55’s had them and some didn’t due to it being near the end of production. All the metal looks correct for a non-refurb with no crinkle bbq refinishing.

For quick sale, I’d say $750. Most likely it could fetch more for a patient seller.
Thanks for the information. I had some one offer 1300 and wasn't sure if i should sell or not.

#30 ·
Everything I see in the photos suggests an all original parts 1955 carbine. Not a very common year to find.

The stock wear around the butt plate and crossbolt, the apparent absence of crossbolt stamps, contrast of darker and lighter areas of lacquer finish, as well as the worn golden bayonet with heavy patina suggest multiple stock refinishes on what was possibly an issued rifle.

In today's market, $1,300 is a fair offer. But this rifle could very easily go for a lot more. For example, just a month or so ago a heavily refurbed and BBQ'd 1952 sold for just under $1,300 on GoneBroker.

#32 ·
I have two Tula nineteen fifty two (r) SKS rifles that have been re-furbished. The bolts, bolt covers, actions, trigger housing etc. all have the black finish applied. All serial numbers on both rifles match with matching numbers on the stocks. The bore on each rifle is mirror bright and both rifles have blade bayonets. I haven't fired these rifles in over twenty five years and they are both in excellent refurbished condition. I realize they are not collector's pieces but I only wonder what their value might be on today's market. If memory serves me correctly I believe I paid about one hundred twenty five dollars for each one. If anyone might venture a wild guess on their value today I'd appreciate your guess-ta-mate. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.