Remington Rolling Block .43 Spanish

Thread: Remington Rolling Block .43 Spanish

Default Remington Rolling Block .43 Spanish

Back at the LGS this afternoon and they have a Remington Rolling Block #1 .43 Spanish (per the tag). Could not resist and it is now on layaway until I pick it up next week. No SN on this rifle. Lettering on the top of the tang is all but worn off. Barely visible. No other markings except the letter "B" stamped on the left side of the barrel/breach area. Wood looks good. Cleaning rod present. Bluing in petty good shape. Barrel is dark so a bit difficult to evaluate. Rear sight a bit loose.

Would I find any markings/stampings under the wood work if disassembled?

Will post pictures once I have it home. As always any insight or information greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by clbj61 View Post
    Back at the LGS this afternoon and they have a Remington Rolling Block #1 .43 Spanish (per the tag). Could not resist and it is now on layaway until I pick it up next week. No SN on this rifle. Lettering on the top of the tang is all but worn off. Barely visible. No other markings except the letter "B" stamped on the left side of the barrel/breach area. Wood looks good. Cleaning rod present. Bluing in petty good shape. Barrel is dark so a bit difficult to evaluate. Rear sight a bit loose.

Would I find any markings/stampings under the wood work if disassembled?

Will post pictures once I have it home. As always any insight or information greatly appreciated.
    You'll have a serial number on the left side, upper and lower tang, below the wood line. Take your time removing the butt stock as it can be quite tight. Buffalo Arms, Track the Wolf, anf Grafs sell reloading components for 43 Spanish. A chamber cast might be advisable to confirm though.
    - New2Enfields

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

A lot of those Spanish RBs were well-used and well-worn, but they can USUALLY be brought back to life with a little time and TLC. Good blue suggests better condition than many.

Don't forget there are two different .43 Spanish rounds, nd guns are not marked as to which (if at all). Chamber cast is a good idea.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Got a Remington Rolling Block from a friend before he passed, he did not know what caliber it was. Did a Chamber cast and turned out to be .43 Spanish...

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by packrat1 View Post
    Got a Remington Rolling Block from a friend before he passed, he did not know what caliber it was. Did a Chamber cast and turned out to be .43 Spanish...
    Which one? Plain .43 Spanish or Reformado?
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

.43 Spanish caliber...

Last edited by clbj61; 05-21-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Repost Images

No longer living in the Belly of the Liberal Beast!

Quote Originally Posted by clbj61 View Post
    I would love to help but I can not open the pictures.

Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 11/69 to 6/70 & 9/70 to 5/71
    U.S.S. Ranger (CVA-61)
    U.S.S. John R. Craig (DD-885)
    NRA Life Member

Can't open attachments either. If it has a hexagon knoxform at the chamber area, it could very likely be an Argentine Modelo 1879 Patria, made in Ilion, NY, shopped to Argentina, and then reblued and refinished and sold off as surplus... Pics would help a lot. Hopefully you can post some. The reformado cartridge are mostly Spanish-made Oviedo rolling blocks.
    Alle Kunst ist umsonst, Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Re-posted images. Barrel is round. No obvious markings except for the letter "B" on the left side of the breach. No bayonet lug. The bore is very clean. No pitting. Decent lands and grooves. Have not taken it apart to see what may be under the woodwork.

Default Cleaning

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000268.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	2271809Finally found some time to field strip the Rolling Block. So much for my belief that the bore was clean. Went through half a bag of patches. They eventually got better but more cleaning is in order. Have attached a picture of the patches that went through the bore. Black to very dark brown in color. Used an assortment of products, Hoppes, Hoppes Elite, M-Pro-7 and bore paste using a .410 brush.
    Removed the stock and found the serial number stamped on the upper and lower tang which is 3124. Nothing under the butt plate.
    Any help or information concerning date of manuf. or possible history Attachment 2271801greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by clbj61; 06-02-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Repost Images

I would do the chamber cast. I've had several 1879 Argentines and they all had the octagonal chamber section on the barrel and different rear sights. Looks to be in nice condition. Can you look in the chamber area and see if it has a shoulder? I think the reformado is just a tapered case, and the .43 Spanish is a bottle neck case.

I believe that is correct. From what I have read and seen the .43 Remington Spanish case has a shoulder. The "reformado" case is tapered.

correct..after you get the chamber cast look up the dimensional data in CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD by Frank C. Barnes

To the best of my knowledge, none of the Latin American countries adopted the Reformado cartridge and it was in Latin America that 90% of the .43 Spanish caliber arms were sold. Spain, on the other hand, converted their RB to the Reformado but most of these were the Spanish-made rifles. By the time the conversion process got underway, many of the Remington-made Spanish rifles were already well worn and nearing the end of their service life. Converted rifles should be marked "FB" for Frere & Brull, the two officers who designed the Reformado round. Remember, Spain bought the RB from Remington to supplement their own production but always preferred the home-grown version. As they were replaced with new rifles made in Spain, quite a lot of the Remington-made rifles went to colonial possessions, like the Philippine Islands, where they were issued to local militia and it's problematical how many of these were converted. They could, and often did, fire the Reformado cartridge in a rifle that had not been rechambered.

So, if the rifle is Remington-made it is most likely in .43 Spanish. If it is Spanish-made, it is most likely Reformado. Of the rifles taken in Cuba in 1898, most, but not all, had been converted. However, all of the rifles sent back to the US were in stores when the Spanish-American War ended. Many of these were probably old and had been withdrawn from service before the war. The Spanish Army itself was repatriated with it's arms.

Also, Argentina purchased large numbers of RBs before the M1879 rifle was adopted so Argentine refinished arms that do not have the octagonal breech are not unusual.
    Last edited by JV Puleo; 06-04-2017 at 02:14 AM.