Remington Rolling Block .43 Spanish

Thread: Remington Rolling Block .43 Spanish

Default Remington Rolling Block .43 Spanish

Back at the LGS this afternoon and they have a Remington Rolling Block #1 .43 Spanish (per the tag). Could not resist and it is now on layaway until I pick it up next week. No SN on this rifle. Lettering on the top of the tang is all but worn off. Barely visible. No other markings except the letter "B" stamped on the left side of the barrel/breach area. Wood looks good. Cleaning rod present. Bluing in petty good shape. Barrel is dark so a bit difficult to evaluate. Rear sight a bit loose.

Would I find any markings/stampings under the wood work if disassembled?

Will post pictures once I have it home. As always any insight or information greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by clbj61 View Post
    Back at the LGS this afternoon and they have a Remington Rolling Block #1 .43 Spanish (per the tag). Could not resist and it is now on layaway until I pick it up next week. No SN on this rifle. Lettering on the top of the tang is all but worn off. Barely visible. No other markings except the letter "B" stamped on the left side of the barrel/breach area. Wood looks good. Cleaning rod present. Bluing in petty good shape. Barrel is dark so a bit difficult to evaluate. Rear sight a bit loose.

Would I find any markings/stampings under the wood work if disassembled?

Will post pictures once I have it home. As always any insight or information greatly appreciated.
    You'll have a serial number on the left side, upper and lower tang, below the wood line. Take your time removing the butt stock as it can be quite tight. Buffalo Arms, Track the Wolf, anf Grafs sell reloading components for 43 Spanish. A chamber cast might be advisable to confirm though.
    - New2Enfields

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

A lot of those Spanish RBs were well-used and well-worn, but they can USUALLY be brought back to life with a little time and TLC. Good blue suggests better condition than many.

Don't forget there are two different .43 Spanish rounds, nd guns are not marked as to which (if at all). Chamber cast is a good idea.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Got a Remington Rolling Block from a friend before he passed, he did not know what caliber it was. Did a Chamber cast and turned out to be .43 Spanish...

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by packrat1 View Post
    Got a Remington Rolling Block from a friend before he passed, he did not know what caliber it was. Did a Chamber cast and turned out to be .43 Spanish...
    Which one? Plain .43 Spanish or Reformado?
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

.43 Spanish caliber...

Last edited by clbj61; 05-21-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Repost Images

No longer living in the Belly of the Liberal Beast!

Quote Originally Posted by clbj61 View Post
    I would love to help but I can not open the pictures.

Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 11/69 to 6/70 & 9/70 to 5/71
    U.S.S. Ranger (CVA-61)
    U.S.S. John R. Craig (DD-885)
    NRA Life Member & CRPA Member

Can't open attachments either. If it has a hexagon knoxform at the chamber area, it could very likely be an Argentine Modelo 1879 Patria, made in Ilion, NY, shopped to Argentina, and then reblued and refinished and sold off as surplus... Pics would help a lot. Hopefully you can post some. The reformado cartridge are mostly Spanish-made Oviedo rolling blocks.
    Alle Kunst ist umsonst, Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Re-posted images. Barrel is round. No obvious markings except for the letter "B" on the left side of the breach. No bayonet lug. The bore is very clean. No pitting. Decent lands and grooves. Have not taken it apart to see what may be under the woodwork.