SKS' & AK-47

Thread: SKS' & AK-47

Default SKS' & AK-47

I just joined the Gunboards Forum and I'm happy to see the site for SKS and AK47 rifles. I'll post some pics of my pieces and look forward to comments from anyone who cares to comment. Thanks Big Coulee

Welcome aboard
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Hi! Do you have an AK, an SKS or both?

Inviato dal mio SM-G928F utilizzando Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Welcome , dig around in the past thread trees ( lotsa info here ) including about Rimfire Romanian AKM variants ( WASR 22 / AKT 98 / RPK 22 / M10 22 )

G962, Gator Monroe ----- I have both an AK 47 & three SKS rifles. I sure like the way they shoot and their light recoil . The AK is from Century Arms and is an American made rifle with milled receiver. It is a little heavier piece than my friends stamped receiver piece and both guns (milled and stamped) shoot about the same off hand . I plan on getting a folding stock mounted on my milled receive piece to lighten it somewhat and reduce its length for ease of carry. Could anyone recommend a good folding type stock ?
    I have two Chinese SKS rifles and one Russian SKS. The Chinese are my shooters . The Russian SKS appears to be un-fired accept for proof testing. The receiver is dated 1952 and it has the blade type bayonet. There is no finish ware on the blue finish anywhere and I cannot find any dings, scratches or dents in the wood of the stock. I've had the rifle for almost 20 years and have never fired it . It appears to be 100% original and that is the way I want to keep it. I've dismantled the rifle and cleaned all the preventive grease out of the barrel and action. After that I coated the metal with a light coating of gun grease . It is one of my prize pieces. Thanks for your comments. Big Coulee

Cool

Attachment 2239066...all Russians ...traded the shotgun to right!
    RomanianClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	2239170 red dot swift 1x.
    an ideal set up for quick response.
    shifting scope to iron sights and back again....
    with my old eyes need little readjustment time in any light strength shooting!
    very quick responce time...for my needs!
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 05-18-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Glad you found us! Welcome aboard.

welcome!

You do not just add a folding stock to anything that came with a fixed stock.
    No fear. Eyes open.

Pain as told to me, "Lets you know
    you are alive."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Coulee View Post
    G962, Gator Monroe ----- I plan on getting a folding stock mounted on my milled receive piece to lighten it somewhat and reduce its length for ease of carry. Could anyone recommend a good folding type stock ?
    There are adaptors for most AK types., AKM, 74 and AK47.

But it depends on what model you have. Maybe a C39 Century milled AK or an Arsenal. If it has rear tangs it is a good bit more unlikely a folding stock will be made for it.

Yes it is a Century C39 and I realize a folder is not made for this model. I'm thinking about removing the current fixed stock, replacing it with a hard wood block and attaching a folder into the block. I have a folder that I believe could be modified and fitted into the block without too much difficulty. It is worth a try anyway.

Welcome! I have a Yugo 59/66. Have you noticed the warnings/fixes for slam fire?

I cannot imagine why anyone would modify a functional machine, that is also an artifact of history. But, it's yours. I would just purchase one that is exactly like I want it to be. Usually, less costly, and less time consuming. Having worked on our Uncle Sam's aircraft, vehicles, comm. gear, radios, radar, support machinery, and etc. for 20 years, I shy away from experimenting on things that emit fumes. Many design engineers, and much testing, you know.

Just MHO.
    The measure of a man is that he will take an oath, and keep it forever. My goal, entirely.
    Exodus Chapter 22 If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten so that he dieth, there shall be no bloodguiltiness for him.

OP is talking about a folding stock on an American made C39 milled AK not a Zastava SKS???

Although modifying milsurp and other firearms has been don for 150 years or so.

Mi e is a soviet made 1972 AKM rifle demilitarized according to strict italian laws to be impossivle to be reverted to automatic fire. It's a quite good shooter with an excellent barrel.
    Now it's some year i don't shoot it because i focusing more and more on shooting my WW1 rifles at 100 and 300 meters.

Inviato dal mio SM-G928F utilizzando Tapatalk

I have accumulated "a few" SKSs, since I like the way they shoot, more than the average AK47. I even have one with no factory markings, a couple of factory 26, a factory 666 (VERY low s/n), and a Yugo. It's fun to research what I already own, in my leisure. My AK is made by IO, and it's a sweet shooting rifle.

AND: Welcome aboard.

That's right, it is an American C39 and has no collector's value. If getting a modified folder becomes to difficult I'll just put the original stock back on the AK and no harm done. Thanks for all the good replies.

I have a Chinese SKS with short barrel and an after market folder. I carry this on my ATV, very handy. It is one of my favorite shooter pieces and is quite accurate out to 150 yds.

Welcome Big Coulee, my WWII collecting has taken a rabbit trail to the SKS,s very addicting

frenchy

I'd just sell the C39 and the spare folding stock and find a better built folding stock AK. For example, Atlantic has some reasonably priced Romanian underfolders right now.

It sure is easy to take these rabbit trails isn't it ? I've been doing the same thing with SKS, Mosin Nagant, AK rifles etc. I started out hording luger pistols before they got to pricy for my pocket book. I went to P.38's then Mausers, Browing HP's, 1911A1's and now Webleys & Enfield revolvers with an occasional WWII Beretta in the mix. I'm looking at any hand gun from WWII combatants because I know within a couple years they will all take the same trail as lugers have taken. I had a Jap Nambu at one time but it went in a luger trade. I still kinda regret that.
    Yes like yourself SKS's can be addicting . I have 3 at the moment, two Chinese and one Russian. I've never fired the Russian because it is mint and appears to have not been fired since it was proof tested. I have 3 Mosin Nagant's, each very good shooters . So it goes on and on.

I hope my kids and their kids appreciate this stuff. Big Coulee