Default RFI G.R.I Mk1* 7 42

I know very little about bayonets , I looked this one up on line , however
    I'm confused as to what I have , why does the blade look like a No1MkII*
    and it is marked Mk1* ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04558.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	2238426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04567.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	2238434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04565.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	2238442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04560.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	2238450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04561.JPG 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	2238458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04562.JPG 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	2238466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04568.JPG 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	2238474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04566.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	2238482

I believe the blade was reconfigured by Ishapore (sp) arsenal.
    The scabbard appears to be Czech.

[QUOTE=Sgt Frank Rock;6873114]I believe the blade was reconfigured by Ishapore (sp) arsenal.

Reconfigured ? cut back from a long bayo ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The scabbard may fit but I do not believe it is original. All of the Indian SMLE bayonets I have ever seen, including the cut-down variants, have been fitted with the standard P1907 type leather scabbards, shortened if necessary.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Correct me if I'm wrong , the way I understand it is the cut back bayonets were the pattern 1907 fullered blade ( No1 Mk1 ** )
    and the No1 Mk2* are unfullered , and not a cut back , but manufactured
    that way ( 12 inch false point blade ) , do I have a missed marked blade ?
    I'm still confused .....

Quote Originally Posted by kris in wa. st. View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong , the way I understand it is the cut back bayonets were the pattern 1907 fullered blade ( No1 Mk1 ** )
    and the No1 Mk2* are unfullered , and not a cut back , but manufactured
    that way ( 12 inch false point blade ) , do I have a missed marked blade ?
    I'm still confused .....
    Without looking in my books I don't remember the model designations but you are correct the Indians did manufacture shortened versions of the P07 bayonet.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

My Examlpe with the Mk I* is made in 10-42 and I have a second model from M.I.L. with the Mk. I* made in 1942. Both bayonets should be Mk. II (the Mk. I* is a shortend p. 1907) and all of my 1941 made bayonets are marked as Mk. II so I can`t explain this marks.

Thanks for showing the pics, I think the scabbard is wrong also (but just my opinion).
    Gotta love these indian bayonets, they can always be found with the wrong Mk markings.....I think they go as follows-

Mk1* - cut down P1907 with no false edge at tip of blade.

Mk1**- cut down P1907 with false edge at tip of blade.

Mk2- unfullered with no false edge.

Mk2*- unfullered with false edge.

Mk3- unfullered Blade with no false edge & square pommel.

Mk3*- unfullered with false edge & square pommel.

Think I still need a Mk3 as got sidetracked with bloody german bayonets ?

Scabbard was refurbished and could be belgian or CS but from this picture is not clear, anyway there are screws on place of rivets.b.r.Andy

I always figured the scabbard was not the correct one , I'm more curious
    about the markings on the blade , it appears this one has been miss marked ?
    so is that fairly common or only on occasion ? as far as the scabbard goes
    I looked at one at the IMA web site , looks like a good reproduction for a fair
    price , I have purchased a couple of leather holsters from them in the past and
    liked the quality

Thanks Carl , lots of good information , may I ask your opinion if the bayonet
    I have is missed marked ?

Seems a lot of Indian MkII thru MkIII bayonets are in the U.S. now. I picked up a couple of them. A lot are missing scabbards. I believe they were probably used on later bayonets when these became obsolete. I have all 6 versions of them. The toughest to find is the MkIII minus false edge. The original MkI's cut down from full length P07 bayonets are not easy to find either. They make an interesting collection. Most show RFI, Rifle Factory Ishapore markings while still part of British Empire. Others are marked N.W.R. for North West Railways. I might add a lot of P03 12 inch bladed bayonets, which fit the SMLE, wound up in India. It seems the 17" bladed P07 was not favored in Indian Army! There is a dealer on EBAY selling the cut down India Pattern scabbards. I needed 2, but bought a 3rd just in case. My extra scabbard drawer is pretty loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by kris in wa. st. View Post
    as far as the scabbard goes
    I looked at one at the IMA web site , looks like a good reproduction for a fair
    price , I have purchased a couple of leather holsters from them in the past and
    liked the quality

IMA does sell a nice reproduction for the RFI short model bayonets. I purchased 2 of them 7 years ago and they fit really nice. And for the price, you cant go wrong.

Yeah , think I'm going to get a scabbard from IMA , so I feel like I'm beating a
    dead cat , still curious about the stamped markings on the blade , or am I just
    not getting the fact that they are miss marked ? , opinions ? anybody ?

The markings look legit for the Indian pattern bayonets.

The one you have looks factory made ( not cut down or refurbished).

I believe they (India) made the shorter pattern bayonet because it would be handier in jungle warfare.

The Indian bayonets are a great collectable and tend to be cheaper than their 1907 British counterparts. IMA sells several WWII pattern RFI bayonets.

[QUOTE=panzerfaust44;6886658]The markings look legit for the Indian pattern bayonets.

The one you have looks factory made ( not cut down or refurbished).

I agree , should it not be marked ( stamped ) Mk2* , rather than Mk1*
    hence my question is the bayonet I have miss marked ?

Illustrations from Hughes 'Primer' . . .
    Note - the 'pattern' stampings on the blades vary considerably. India was not always consistent in this regard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IndiaDrwgs.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	300.8 KB 
ID:	2244570

NO, IT IS ORIGINAL! SCABBARD IS NOT THOUGH. SEE BRTITISH AND COMMONWEALTH BAYONETS BY SKENNERTON, PAGE 347. SCABBARD WOULD HAVE BEEN LEATHER WITH METAL TIPS! CUT DOWN WOULD HAVE THE "BLOOD GROVE" (fuller) to the end!

Quote Originally Posted by HOFFHACK View Post
    NO, IT IS ORIGINAL! SCABBARD IS NOT THOUGH. SEE BRTITISH AND COMMONWEALTH BAYONETS BY SKENNERTON, PAGE 347. SCABBARD WOULD HAVE BEEN LEATHER WITH METAL TIPS! CUT DOWN WOULD HAVE THE "BLOOD GROVE" (fuller) to the end!
    Ohhhhh Ok ,,,,,, thanks for the input , maybe check the caps lock on you're keyboard