Scope lens failure. Just my luck.

Thread: Scope lens failure. Just my luck.

Default Scope lens failure. Just my luck.

Put a 4X vintage Hensoldt on the 98k, first time shooting it performed great, no problems at all. Probably shot about 40 rounds that day.

I then brought it out a few weeks later with the wife. First five rounds were fine. Went to fire one more time after reloading, and then the lovely picture below happened.

It's a two-piece rear lens, and it looks like it's internally cracked in both parts of the rear lens set. I took it apart to verify.

The rifle has never been dropped, kicked around, etc. Always kept in the safe, or transported in a hard sided, padded case.

I never noticed any cracks beforehand.

Is there anything I can do to salvage this scope? I know I'll need a new lens, but I have no idea where to go from here.

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    B-1B Instruments and Flight Control Systems
    Ellsworth AFB, SD

Didn't Zeiss acquire Hensoldt? I would try to find a dealer and ask them. I suspect that replacement of the lens will be as much as a replacement scope.

When you say Vintage - WWII Nazi Era - Pre War - Post War? Pre war & WWII Era probably going to be near impossible to find replacement lens. Post war, as suggested Zeiss or Hensoldt, or good optics Company. Even if it is a post war scope, might still be cheaper to just replace it. Then sell the broken one for parts. Pretty much rule of thumb, WWII or older too valuable to chance damage shooting. I quit on most anything over 50 years old, seals dry out, lens glue separates, internal screws loosen, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Yup and THAT'S why I don't shoot all matching rifles...they might break..so you guys that have to shoot everything you own, pay attention.

Are you storing your wife and gun in the same place?

It was sold to me as pre-war, and it has a target reticle instead of the 3-post. I paid $140 for it. Not like I lost anything extremely rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    B-1B Instruments and Flight Control Systems
    Ellsworth AFB, SD

Could it be that the lens element glue crazed and not a cracked element? Check Ironsights.com for scope repair. They just returned my Swedish AGA M42 (after 11 months turn around) and it is great.

Vlad

Quote Originally Posted by Vladymere View Post
    Could it be that the lens element glue crazed and not a cracked element? Check Ironsights.com for scope repair. They just returned my Swedish AGA M42 (after 11 months turn around) and it is great.

Vlad

Yes, some people can repair these. It does look like the glue/balsam that held the two lenses together let some separation begin. Good luck.