Received my 1909 Argentine Mauser from Classic-Have some concerns

Thread: Received my 1909 Argentine Mauser from Classic-Have some concerns

Default Received my 1909 Argentine Mauser from Classic-Have some concerns

Hello Everyone,

Well, I ordered one of the "Good" ($30 extra) 1909 Argentine Mausers from Classic Firearms, & I'm a little disappointed. For one, I was so looking forward to that "all in the white" look of the receiver & bolt...the gun I received has a blued receiver! Anyone know why this was done later on, because it certainly didn't come from Germany that way..Also, none of the number match, & there are 3 drilled holes on in the stock on the right side just below the receiver...No cleaning rod as well!!!

The bore is a bit dirty, but the rifling looks strong...Other than the stuff mentioned above, the rifle looks to be pretty sound.

Any info on this blue receiver would certainly be helpful! If there is some history as to why this receiver was blued at some point in the guns life, I certainly do appreciate that history stuff!!! As well, there seems to have been a placard attached to cover the butt stock cartouche on the right at one time as there are two holes and you can see where a rectangle shaped "patch" was attached at one time.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

geladen is online now Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

No mystery on the blue - the rifle was rebuilt in Argentina.
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

All my Mausers are here (Index is in post #1):
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?144316-Mausers-Only-Mausers

III, GOA Life

Thanks geladen! Any idea why the rifle was rebuilt in Argentina? What type of action might this rifle have seen in it's life? As well, any idea on the nicely drilled holes on the right side of the stock just behind & below the action?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Just googled classic, 1909, and found their website. Watched their little video.

They are from century, so they were assembled from parts from Samco.

Thanks Grunt...So what does that mean exactly? Was the $370 I paid for this worth it? Was this gun rebuilt here in the US???

Quote Originally Posted by DanBlue View Post
    Thanks geladen! Any idea why the rifle was rebuilt in Argentina? What type of action might this rifle have seen in it's life? As well, any idea on the nicely drilled holes on the right side of the stock just behind & below the action?
    It was rebuilt because someone decided it was worn enough in service to need rebuilding. You are the first retail owner so being reblued in the US is out of the question.

Argentina was not involved in any major wars while the rifle was in Argentina.

Photos are needed to determine what the holes are for.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

The rifle was originally rebuilt in Argentina. They did this for used weapons. There are many reasons it may have been rearsenaled.

When imported to Samco, they dis-assembled and parted out a lot of guns. This is common practice with many importers. When Samco closed, Century purchased all of SAMCO. Century then assembled rifles from those parts and sold them to Classic.

Whether it is worth $370 is totally up to you. I have paid more and I have paid less for 1909's.

Personally I would call them and state that a good condition rifle should not have holes drilled in the stock. Just my opinion.

Default Disregard this link

Does this link to the picture work for everyone? Please let me know...Thanks

Photo hosting sites are a good place to pick up viruses. Many of us will not go to hosting site links.

Now I see the photos posted here. I have no clue as to what those holes were drilled for.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

If I had paid extra for a good one, I would want to return the rifle with three holes in the stock. You might get a bonus of an unblued receiver.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

I just checked my rifle & I have that naval anchor on my rear sight....What is that? Thanks guys!

I would send that shit back. That rifle is not only incorrect but not in good condition either. Tell them a good story but be very nice and try and complement them even if they messed up. Trust me... they will make it good and you will be happy. Just don't be dicky about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I just checked my rifle & I have that naval anchor on my rear sight....What is that? Thanks guys!
    There should be 3 anchors in the rifle. Tip of cleaning rod, sight leaf and extractor claw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

30 dollars extra and no numbers match? Plus it looks like that isn't refurb bluing.
    "Don't rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world stood up and stopped the bastard, the bitch that bore him is in heat again." -Bertolt Brecht

I would send it back and let them know why. Call them first and hopefully they will try to please you.
    mauserdad
    John 3:16 & 17 KJAV 1611
    NRA Life Member

I read somewhere that They had a rear peep sight that attached to stock with wood screws perhaps yours did at one time. I have an 1891 ARG with similar screw holes there.

The anchor is just the standard inspection stamp for those parts.

Thanks for all of the insight guys I do appreciate it. I'm an easy customer, & I don't feel like I need to give them excuses...I'll just tell them I do understand the nature of Milsurp, but it just isn't up to par with what it should be..I know it's not a $700 rifle, but with the stock holes, no numbers matching, no cleaning rod and the surface rust on the barrel, it truly is a solid "fair" rifle & certainly not a "good" rifle...I'll just call them tomorrow and get the process of sending it back going...jeez what a headache....

Thanks for all of the insight guys I do appreciate it. I'm an easy customer, & I don't feel like I need to give them excuses...I'll just tell them I do understand the nature of Milsurp, but it just isn't up to par with what it should be..I know it's not a $700 rifle, but with the stock holes, no numbers matching, no cleaning rod and the surface rust on the barrel, it truly is a solid "fair" rifle & certainly not a "good" rifle...I'll just call them tomorrow and get the process of sending it back going...jeez what a headache....
    Demand a replacement shipped on their dime. That is not a good condition rifle. However unless you never ran a search about Classic and haven't read too many threads you would know it is a crap shoot with them. Personally I would never buy anything from them unless it was 50% less than the going rate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A headache, sure. The first thing you should have done was contact the seller and explain that you were unhappy and explain why, ask to return the rifle for a refund or an exchange. Always give the seller the first chance to make it right.

Not the same Classic that they used to be, I would be less than happy with that rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA View Post
    Not the same Classic that they used to be, I would be less than happy with that rifle.
    Classic was good at one time? How long ago was that?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've had good experiences so far with Classic with my Chinese SKS & my M39, but this 1909 is just not "as advertised" I just received the rifle Friday afternoon, so I'll call them Monday and work it out...It's all good and I'm sure they will work with me, it's just a headache because I have to deal with packing & shipping the thing back...

I'm heading to Oaks this morning, so hopefully I can find some cool Milsurps there....Thanks guys!

Did the tag on the trigger guard state the condition as good? After watching Ben over and over it is evident that his idea of condition is based heavily on blueing. So by his own statements that he has made regarding the mauser and Finn rifles he considers less blue or in the white to be a lower graded firearm. I think he is learning as he goes along, certainly not the knowledgeable seller he tries to appear as. Remember the very first M39 uncrating videos. He opened up a whole crate, or whatever he called those big cardboard containers where practically all you could see was straight stock M39's and he didn't even notice. Or the closeups of Puolustuslaitos stamps and not even a mention.

I've had good experiences so far with Classic with my Chinese SKS & my M39, but this 1909 is just not "as advertised" I just received the rifle Friday afternoon, so I'll call them Monday and work it out...It's all good and I'm sure they will work with me, it's just a headache because I have to deal with packing & shipping the thing back...

I'm heading to Oaks this morning, so hopefully I can find some cool Milsurps there....Thanks guys!
    Oaks in PA? There maybe one or two there. I stopped going because it was too much non firearms related items and a whole bunch of garbage over priced Arisakas, M1917, and RC Mausers.

Yea, I've watched those videos of the M39 unboxing...Ben calls the boxes "Gaylords" I noticed that as well & I thought that was an odd name for a pallet of boxed up rifles...I'm a big big fan of Iraqveteran8888 so I'm sure Ben gets some great help from Eric teaching him about the milsurp rifles.. What is a straight stock M39 BTW? I've never heard of that.

Yes, the white plastic tag that was hanging from the trigger guard on my 1909 has a "G" for Good...the Fair ones have an "F" according to the video for the 1909...Nonetheless, Any business person knows that you don't take the manufacturers, importers or distributers word for anything..you inspect your merchandise as the retailer prior to sending things to your customers or displaying items in your store...I didn't do a deal with any distributor, importer or manufacture..I did a deal with Classic, so I seriously don't want to hear any nonsense about "Well Sir, we're sorry, that's just how the importer graded it." Classic will need to deal with the importer (Samco??) and hash out the problems I guess they might have with grading..All of that has nothing to do with me, so I believe things will be fine. I'll box this thing up better than I received it, & send it back.

Yes Oaks PA...There were some really awesome milsurp rifles there today...Saw a few Eddystone P14s at about $650 (one was refinished with some poly bullsit), many Arisakas as capt14k mentioned, some really nice Enfields, a bunch of 91/30s,(Some guy had a table full of 91/30s, M38s, & M44s ALL of them sanded and some clear poly crap brushed on..simply amazing that someone would do that..Also, a dealer had an all matching Chinese T53 (I've been wanting an all matching T53..I have a really nice one, but the bolt doesn't match) and this T53 was sanded and poly coated..what the hell is wrong with people??? Saw a bunch of Krag rifles..I like those, saw a bunch of M1 Garands-my Uncle John Spalding was the first officer to lead a group of men on D-Day to break through the German defenses, & he's a D-Day hero he got a silver star pinned on his lapel by Eisenhower so I would love to get an M1 Garand like he carried, but man they are so expensive....saw an absolute MINT 1909 Argentine Mauser as it should be..I mean this thing was awesome, matching numbers, beautiful, bore was shiny and stunning..the thing looked like it had lived in a closet...My fiancee wouldn't let me buy it since I will have just about $400 into the Classic 1909 with returns and everything, & she want's me to wait until I get my money back!! So I miss out on what would have been a measly $200 more than what I paid for the Classic 1909 with rust on barrel, no cleaning rod, no matching numbers, drill holes in stock etc...I was sick, but it is what it is I guess.

I did buy a Nazi Mauser bakelite handle bayonet & scabbard (non matching) for $90.00 which I thought was a good deal... I bought it to go with my non matching Russian capture Mauser that I truly love..It's a great shooting rifle, & I love the history...all the nazi stampings are intact as well.. I bought a like new Finn M39 sling, and another 91/30 sling as I only have 2 but I have 8 91/30s..

So that's about it...Thanks for everyone's help & guidance, & I'll keep you posted on the Argentine 1909 results with Classic.

Danny

Straight Stock M/39 is an M/39 in a straight stock. Typically found in the serial range 200,000-207999 on 1941 Sako Rifles. However certain enterprising individuals have swapped stocks so much it could appear on any M/39 and wouldn't surprise me.

You should have bought the 1909 Argentine. At $600 if mint and matching it was well worth it. Top condition 1909 Argentines have sold for between $1,500-2,500 recently.

There is no importer left for Classic to complain to. SAMCO went belly up and Century bought their entire inventory for pennies on the dollar. Century is selling the Samco rifles to Classic. Being Samco was in trouble for awhile and their storage facility was unconditioned and had rifles stacked on top of each other, combined with the Miami heat and humidity. Add in some flooding issues. The result is a bunch of really poor condition Milsurps. Yes there were some nice rifles that were better stored, but for the most part the Samco Rifles I would expect to be garbage.

My advice go back to Oaks today and buy the 1909 and return yours to Classic for a full refund.

While I appreciate the heads up on the auction you may have just made someone else mad who was watching it. There is a no live auction rule.

That 1909 for auction is incorrect, the barrel and magazine have been hot dip blued, along with the bands and bolt release. Notice, none of the screws and bolt release have their original niter bluing. Rear sight parts and floorplate release should be niter as well and recoil lug should be in the white.

Question Serial number on my Argentine 1909...early?

My 1909 rifle has a original sling and muzzle cover but no cleaning rod. otherwise all matching. I was wondering if the A1488 serial number is an early one?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by berthierguy View Post
    My 1909 rifle has a original sling and muzzle cover but no cleaning rod. otherwise all matching. I was wondering if the A1488 serial number is an early one?
    John
    It would be the 1,488th M1909 Argentine rifle.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

Sorry. I was just trying to help. There are many argentine 1909 Mausers for sale out there today.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    It would be the 1,488th M1909 Argentine rifle.
    I concur.