Gunboards Forums banner

An Interesting Finn Capture 1939 Tula 91/30

3K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  mauser655 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked this rifle up not too long ago, as it's just one of the most interesting 91/30s I have come across lately. Of course, we have all the MO marked rifles, or the "recaptured" variations, ex-snipers, etc., but this particular rifle struck a chord with me as it doesn't appear to have been altered... ever. The only apparent change to the rifle from it's as issued 1939 configuration is the SA property mark on the barrel shank. Otherwise, all the numbers match on the bolt, floorplate, buttplate, and barrel. Also, the stock is correctly dated with a nice 1939 Tula cartouche. Every single part seems to be correct for a 91/30 Mosin-Nagant produced in this time frame, and all of them have the Tula star stamped into them. It's just neat, in my opinion, to see a rifle that appears to have retained every single original component, despite years of use and abuse in wartime, and the rifle has definitely gathered some "character" along the way. Yes, it's a little rough around the edges, but this 1939 Tula appears to be period correct in every way, and all original... almost like a time capsule. In a time when most 91/30s on the market have been altered or refurbished, it's just nice to see an honest, untampered example. Just thought I'd share what I feel is one of the most interesting rifles I have come across. I'd love to hear about similar rifles from other members! What do you guys think about rifles like this?

See less See more
#3 ·
Ooh! A real Mosin treasure. Underrated by the uninformed, but not an easy rifle to find and every one just drips character. Thanks for the excellent pics!

I have one like yours (a 1940 Tula) and a few that have mismatched bolts, but are otherwise original. They are my favorite Mosins from a history standpoint.

#5 ·
Awesome. I LOVE rifles like that and still haven't found one. Someday...
Your rifle looks great, congrats!
Poot

#6 ·
Congrats! I love the original rifles as well. One like yours with matching numbers is harder to come by for sure. I think any of us would be proud to have a M91/30 like it in our collections.

#7 ·
Love 'em. I think the all-matching or the all-except-bolt matching SA 91/30's are some of the best values out there. I have several from years ago and they still remain one of the cheapest/under-rated collectibles in my opinion. They may never be worth a lot of money, but the nearly certain history of an all-original or nearly all-original "Finned" 91/30 is just hard to beat.

#9 ·
Great rifle. These truly original Mosins are ridiculously undervalued right now. It seem's that all most people know is that all the 91/30's they run into are "all matching" so, what's so special about that one? Oh, the uninformed.

#10 ·
Very nice good condition example, congrats. Interesting placement of the [SA], you usually see that off to the left side of the barrel. I know how proud you are of that all matcher.

bdgfate, I find those near matchers to be quite nice and equally underapreciated, too.

#12 ·
Yeah, the untampered 91/30s like the one I presented, and the ones that other members have mentioned, do have a lot of history to them. It would seem to me that not only are these rifles interesting from a history standpoint, but from an academic standpoint as well. These rifles show how the 91/30 Mosin-Nagant was originally setup, how the markings and numbers were stamped, what parts were stamped with what at different periods in time, etc. It would seem to me that compiling some data on these completely original rifles could as some interesting and useful information to the collector's data pool. I wonder if the number of examples that have been found would give enough information to deduce any sort of production patterns?

Forgot to add that my 1939 Tula is missing the cleaning rod and has a slight counterbore at the muzzle, but that's a small price to pay for everything else being correct. Plus, the rifle only set me back about $130. I figured that for just a little more than your regular refurbished 91/30, might as well get an honest and authentic example for just a little more! The only thing that could make this rifle better to me is if it shoots good as well! :)

Thanks for your comments everyone! It's nice to see some more original rifles.

#13 ·
Very nice rifle and good photography... I'm lucky enough to have 2 all matching original 91/30's (barring the SA and 41 stamps). Mine are a 39 Tula such as yours and a 34 Izshevsk. They are among my favorite pieces in my collection. Congrats on your find... BeSwift

#14 ·
91/30

VERY nice! i have seen about 3 all original matched (and finned) 91/30s. all were 38 or 39 tulas. my theory is that some russian company/batallion/unit was marched by the tula arsenal and issued new guns.they went to finnland and were immediatly chewed up and wiped out. the finns picked their new guns,property stamped them and sent them back out immediatly. i am probably FOS,but whatever.

#18 ·
Very neat rifle indeed! I picked up my first all original matching 91/30 at Tulsa this year for $125. The rifle is a 1937 Izhevsk and is all original except for the SA stamp. Got another one from the same seller that was all original matching except for the mag floorplate. That one is a 1937 Tula. It even has the correct 1937 dated Tula stock. Got that one for $110.

#19 ·
Mike, I've seen and held both of the rifles you are talking about, as I saw them at the Tulsa show as well. I thought one of the three Finn captures the dealer had was in a Finn two-piece stock? I was very tempted to buy the Tula you purchased, as I believe it had the serial number neatly engraved on the handguard. Looked pretty cool, and was on a nice rifle too! I passed on them as I was already carrying a 1943 Izhevsk ex-sniper I got for $80 at another table, and had just purchased a Winchester M1 Garand as well. I would have loved to get those Finn capture 91/30s you got, just didn't have the resources to do so. I'm glad to see they found an owner that appreciates them for what they are.

#20 ·
Longbranch-

I found this old thread and my rifle is absolutely identical in every way to yours except the location of the SA stamp and the serial number. The bolt does not match. My serial is 89XX. It even has the 1939 buttstock cartouche. I bought this rifle 5-6 years ago at a pawnshop in Indianapolis and had never fired it until yesterday. I took it to the range to get the sights adjusted and only shot it at 30 yards with Albanian surplus. It shot very nice and the barrel cleaned up and is bright and shiny with crisp rifling. There is no pitting at all so it appears to have been cleaned well. I would love to know the history.

Now it is one of my favorites and may be my favorite when I shoot it at 100 yards soon.

Wanted you to meet your rifles twin. How does yours shoot?

#21 ·
Perhaps not surprisingly most of these all-original rifles are the "Finn'd" ones...I also have 2 prewar 91/30's and a late Dragoon that have all original parts...right down to the stock cartouches and the barrelband springs...the only downside is that two of mine (the '36 Tula and the '29 Tula dragoon) have finn-matched bolts, even though I'd still consider those "original".

#22 ·
I too have an original, all-stamped matching, 1937-dated m91/30 rifle built at the Izhevsk arsenal. Only thing not of Russian origin is the "D" stamp on the receiver top and the "SA" stamp on the left side of the receiver.

Tim

#23 ·
Thank you for sharing your very nice rifle. And a Tula to boot. I have not found an all matching yet but I have a couple that are close. Bought a 1939 Izhevsk today at a gun show and the barrel, bolt, butt plate and magazine do match.
Nice to know there is hope if luck is with us.
Happy Shooting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.