Thread: Spanish Pistol Identification

Default Spanish Pistol Identification

vague what I have : Garate anitua am Cia. libar espana bore is about .321
    Any help?

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

Is this a revolver? If so, it sounds like one of the 8mm Lebel pistol caliber revolvers made by the Spanish for the French during WWI.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

Quote Originally Posted by stibnitekid View Post
    vague what I have : Garate anitua am Cia. libar espana bore is about .321 Any help?
    It actually reads - Garate Anitua y Cia, Eibar, Espana.

They made a wide range of pistols and revolvers.

Tell us more about what you have and we might be able to help you out.

Right now you haven't given us anything except a name.

Please measure the bore in millimetres - the Spanish don't use inches.

tac

Default spanish pistol

8.16 mm
    I will get more info. Thanks for what you have already.
    Trying to find a load to fire it.

Is it a revolver or a semi-auto handgun?

tac

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

I am thinking it is a revolver, but he has provided us with so little info, it is a guessing game. If so, the dimension given is appropriate for 8mm Lebel revolver ammo - which incidently Fiocchi has a loading of that caliber.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

This is my first posting so don't know if I should have started a new thread or not, howsomever, In an old and sprawling house I just bought I found first some 7.65 (.321") bullets and later the pistol they fitted. It's a Spanish made pistol called a "Llama", it has the name (some of the letters are obscure ) "Gabilonoc y cib" and "Selgoibar (Esp) (it's possible some of the letters are incorrect) and the number 110941 which I take to be the date of manufacture viz; 11th,September 1941. It seems to be in very good condition and well oiled and light to handle.
    My questions are, is ammunition of this caliber widely available (the bullets seem to have a grove around cap end and not a flange) (Parabellum?) and does anyone know anything about this pistol, I should explain that I live in south America and am a novice at this stuff but feel quite inclined to keep the pistol rather than turn it in .The aged owner of the house had advanced Alzheimer and I bought the house of the Children who having cleaned the place out said I could have anything left (mostly rubbish),
    Brac
    Last edited by Bracabric; 12-06-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Your pistol is a Llama and it was made by Gabilondo y Cia in Elgoibar Espana. The best indication of when it was made would be the proof mark which may be just a capital letter or a letter and number like A1 which is 1955. Posting a picture would help identify your pistol, it could be a Model 14 which was available in 32 S&W. I would keep the pistol if it were me, South America and the Philipines were two of the biggest markets for Llama revolvers. I have been watching the local gunshows here for several years and I haven't been able to find a Llama revolver.

Again - I don't think this is a revolver? Are we talking about a semi auto? The number you provided is definately not a date - likely a serial number.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

Your probably right Bob, don't know why I assumed it was a revolver.

Los Adaes, Thank you so much for your quick and informative reply, I have taken a couple of 'photos of the semi automatic pistol and will try to post them in the next few days,I neglected to say last time that it weighs Ib 1,5oz and as such is very easy to handle, some of the amunition is duff, I found a 40% failure rate and was quite surprised at the "Crack" as it fired, sharp and loud ! I have left the pistol at a farm I have out in the sticks, but when I next go there will take details of the markings, I do however remember a round "Bomb" shape with the letter "P" in two places one on the breach.
    Oh and yes it is a semi automatic pistol not a revolver.
    Again thanks to you both
    Brac
    Last edited by Bracabric; 12-10-2008 at 01:50 PM.

These are the photos I promised to post,I hope they help,
    Brac

Last edited by Bracabric; 12-11-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Intersting pistol-a LLama without a grip safety. We need more, better, and bigger pictures-as well as pictures of the internals.

Bill, The safety is (on the top picture) just to the side,down and in front of the hammer and is operated by the right thumb, you can enlarge the picture by clicking on it and then enlarging it if you haven't already and see the safety.
    Brac

Bracabric, Bill was refering to the safety that is engaged by simply grasping the frame of a 1911 style pistol, it would be located on the backstrap just below the hammer. You have an unusual Llama, there could be an interesting history to it. The flaming bomb you refered to is an acceptance stamp, but the stamp I described above will tell what year your gun was made.Your Llama is stamped on the frame just above the trigger. I can see it, but can't read it. I have an old Llama sales brochure from 1954 ( written in Spanish) that shows a pistol very similar to yours, it is called the Modelo III and was available 9mm Corto (380). Like yours it didn't have a grip safety and did have those unusual grips incorporating the G and C with the trademark. Most Llamas here had wood grips and were marked with "Llama" and a picture of a torch. Can you tell what your grips are made of? It is always exciting to see an unusual pistol. Your pistol may be one that was available in Spain or South America only. Thanks for sharing.

If your grips have a "grain" to them, they are made from pressed horn.
    If there is no grain, they will be plastic.

Thank you all again and please excuse my ignorance. The grips do indeed have a "grain" to them rather like "crosshatch" to those who have re bored their car engine, so I will assume horn and in fairness they seemed to be made out of horn to me anyway. I will get more information when I go back to the Farm late next week and post it on my return. Thank you for being interested Oh, and is the ammunition generally available?
    Brac
    Last edited by Bracabric; 12-12-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Yes, if it is chambered for 7.65 or 32 automatic as we call it here, it should be easy to find. 9mm Corto is also still popular and easily available. I have read that some countries in South America restrict sales of ammunition for calibers that are used by their military, I hope you don't have this problem.

Also if you are shooting older ammo some have corrosive primers and it it will be important to clean the bore each time you shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Adaes View Post
    Yes, if it is chambered for 7.65 or 32 automatic as we call it here, it should be easy to find. 9mm Corto is also still popular and easily available. I have read that some countries in South America restrict sales of ammunition for calibers that are used by their military, I hope you don't have this problem.
    9mm Corto = 9mmK [for Kurz] = .380ACP.

tac

I will bear in mind the corrosive caps, as far as the restricted caliber sizes are concerned, I honestly don't know. I do however have to be fairly careful as the Pistol is not registered and I don't yet know if it is possible to have it legally registered to me in my country of residence, all the more complicated as whilst I have permanent residency, I am a foreign national. I can of course buy ammunition from other (than regular) sources but don't really want to go down that road as I am generally a believer in law and order. I shall investigate further,
    Brac

Actually, among the album pictures you posted (I presume inadvertently), the diesel engine, tractor and the girl referee were more interesting than the gun.

M

Err! yes, Inadvertently is the word, by way of explanation, I have a Chinese Tractor "Jinma" and it's very good and cost a fraction, having such I belong to a Tractor Internet "club" rather like this one so we can help each other. The girl was my attempt to "wind up" other members saying that we all have maids down here (true) and she was ours (untrue she's a model called Pamela Diaz who's very pleasant), The Steam Engines are from around 1880/90 and are two I kept back after exporting several to the UK (they are British made) there are also shots of the Farm.
    I shall be more careful in future.
    Brac

Beautiful countryside, I,m sure you are enjoying the warmer weather! Amazing that those old (early 1900's?) steam engines are still around and in such good shape. Thanks for sharing even if accidentily, looks like a beautiful place to live.

One's a "Marshall" two cylinder12 horse about 1885 and the other is a "Ransomes,Sims and Jeffries" 6 horse about 10 years later. It was 90f today in the city "Santiago"
    B

Right folks, on the side of the gun (slide) there is a shield with the letter "X" next to it (on the right) is the letter "q" and next to that is a repeat of the "Bomb"with the letter P in it.
    Hope that helps and happy Christmas
    Brac
    Last edited by Bracabric; 12-23-2008 at 10:33 AM.

The "Q" is a year date code of 1946 - The other two markings are the Eibar Spain proof house codes for pistols. The bomb with "P" means it was proofed for commercial sales outside Spain (if it was a Spanish military delivery, it would be an "I" inside the bomb proof).
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

Thank you very much for the information and for the swift reply, ammunition is no problem it seems, I mentioned it to a farmer friend who said "how many do you want", "next time I go to town I'll get you some", I asked if he needed documents or such and he said "what ever for" , seems I'm in business,
    B