Default k98 front sight hoods

this is a minor topic but i thought it may be worth a thread...
    i was recently sorting through my parts containers which includes a number of front sight hoods.
    there must have been more than one manufacturer and hence more than one variation in hoods.
    it's always up for discussion what are true original german ww2 hoods and what are post-war.
    while the debate includes thickness, stiffness, and shapes, i think the most important factor is how the hood fits in the front sight groove. it needs to be of ample thickness and stiffness to snap in the groove and not budge. if it snaps on and i can't budge it with my finger and hand, then it's good to go for me.

on a side note, i've noticed now on a third bcd 4 that i have received...the same type of hood; one with flat base. the previous owners of these three all claimed the hoods were on the rifle when they obtained the guns. has anyone else noticed more of these flat base types on late bcd4 guns?
    in contrast, i have 8 or so dot44 guns. and those that had hoods had the same curved base type...last pic.

I agree that the dot (also dou for that matter) and bcd guns have specific types of sight hoods that show up on them. However, I don't think that these were the only hoods used on the bcd's.

Nice pile you have there! Now you need to find guns for them
    Karabiner98k Volume 1 now ready! This book covers the K98k rifle up to 1938! www.thirdpartypress.com
    Visit my site - www.latewar.com
    Check out the forum dedicated to the next volumes about the Kar98k rifle www.k98kforum.com

Don't forget that the sight hoods make great stocking stuffers for you friends! Thanks for the interesting read and pics.

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic. Were sight hoods standard for all K98s? I have a 42 BCD and got a replacement front sight for it (I got it with Lyman sights). I don't see any grooves for sight hood to attach to. Would it be historically correct for this rifle to have a sight hood?

Quote Originally Posted by tdeger View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance on this topic. Were sight hoods standard for all K98s? I have a 42 BCD and got a replacement front sight for it (I got it with Lyman sights). I don't see any grooves for sight hood to attach to. Would it be historically correct for this rifle to have a sight hood?
    A bcd 42 would have originally had a front sight base which was grooved to take the front sight hood.
    WTB/WTT:
    late E/H marked Gustloff stock specially inletted for machine gun barrel
    unnumbered E/359 inspected armourer stock
    transitional late unnumbered type Bruenn (dot) stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no hole for cleaning rod
    unnumbered Mauser Oberndorf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles
    unnumbered flat buttplate with inspection marking (i.e. I need an armourer flat buttplate)