Gunboards Forums banner

1898 liege nagant question

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ubersailer 
#1 ·
We're all the liege nagants commercial rust blued or were some dipped? IMO I thought this one looked reblued. The original nagants I've seen had that beautiful blue hue.

Here's the revolver in question

See less See more
#5 ·
The two photos make it difficult to tell. One looks grey black and the other overly blue. The last photos if actual condition appears to be a perfect example kept in a safe forever, or reblued. That's just my take. That first photo appears to be as Joe says, original rust blue faded. It's beautiful in my opinion.
Richard

#6 · (Edited)
Pay your money, make your guess

Nice Pistol!!

And, yes...ALL bluing will fade with time, use, cleaning, carry and abuse.

I have handled, cleaned, purchased and sold over...ehhhh...don't wanna brag here or sound like I am an MILSURP EXPERT...'many' Milsurp pieces. Rifles, pistols, etc.

And I agree with all above...without 'knowing' the complete history of the piece and 'who used it, where, when, how long, for what'...it is very difficult to comment on
"Has this piece been 'reblued'? Now, if you know it has been arsenal refinished, rebuilt, overhauled... the guess is again, up in the wind. Or, (I know this-) the armorers in Yugoslavia are not the same men/women in Russia with the same orders, mil specs, tools, chemicals, manpower. That said...the frame looks, to me, in better condition than the cyclinder. So...what does that mean? Gee.... here we go again... Did an armorer rush the frame through a 'redo' and have to grab the cyclinder to get it 'out the door'? Why, When, where, who? Or, ALL PIECES of the gun could have been 'in the solution' the same amount of time but, the frame and pieces could have been 'cleaned' by IVAN better than IGOR cleaned the cyclinder causing the cyclinder not to 'take' the bluing better than the other pieces.

So, my response to any MILSURP ITEM IS..."IF"....[or, make your best guess]...as...well... "IF a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt every time he jumps in the air". It is all up to you.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

#7 ·
Mitch how about more and better pics of the Liege revolver. Thought I saw traces of blue on hammer but the quality of picture makes it hard to tell for sure. Appears kind of dark or flat, but if you got them would be great to see them. Nice revolver just the same. I don't have a Liege yet. Regards, John.

PS, nice Imperial 1913 example, yikes!

#8 ·
I had possession of one in the late 1990's (was doing local estate gun sales here, there at request of families that new my abilities in gun sales.) a very nice example un messed with and the "blue" was of the early old colt style peacemaker...as to my memory.
the acton was smooth enough as if made the day before, this gun had been I a collection for a very long time from the 1960's?

I sold to mr Simpsons here on the boards, before gunboards he is one of our sponcers.
along with a pre w1 German pistol with cannon barrel with I believe Swiss ughtunit markings?, Glasser address !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.