Gunboards Forums banner

1911 38 super Rock Island high polish nickel opinions

8K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  cwo4uscgret 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a used 1911 with the high polish nickel finish,grips came with wood but I put some ivory grips on it,shoots great and very accurate.Paid 350.00 has the original plastic hard case just one mag.I dont think very many had this finish,anyone have one of these Rock Island Armory pistols,seem to be good ones.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
All the RIA 1911 that I've shot were outstanding shooters and well made. Usually the grips come with a ugly yellow wood and pistol is greatly served by replacing them ..cosmetically speaking. 38 Super is a superb caliber that outclasses the 9mm in every measurable way. However the caliber never caught on like 45acp and 9mm so you'll hunt for ammo and pay a bit more to shoot. Ammo will always be a little harder to find , its out there, and pricey.

These RIA blued, new in box are roughly $375 to $399 and I can't speak regarding chromed ones being uncommon and more desirable. There is a segment of hand gun owners who like chrome or nickle plated pistols and makers fill their needs for decades. You are probable one of those who like chromed pistols and your replacement grips do give it a vintage look.

The one thing that would detract for me is they chromed the sights and most 1911 that I've seen with this finish had blued sights installed. Might not bother you but for me on a sunny day, I'd have a hard time using those sights. If the pistol were mine, I'd just go to office supply store and buy one of those white board markers in BLACK and touch up the sights for range use. These markers will do the job and you can wipe off the color with a paper towel and your sights are unblemished and shiny chrome again. I'd do this rather than spending money chasing sights that are blued and forking money to a gunsmith to properly install.

These RIA are basically clones of WWII Colt issue 1911A1. They are well made (I am a Colt 1911 purist so it pains me to tell the truth on this but it just is the truth) and all that I have shot (3) had decent trigger pulls. All had great accuracy at 25 yds. I am talking tennis ball groups at 25 yds which by my measuring stick is all you need.

If you find you need a trigger job, spend them money and get it. Don't suffer with a pistol that you struggle to deal with a bear trap trigger pull.

If the pistol were mine: I'd put black hard rubber grips on it for better grip and they'd enhance the cosmetics....the next guy will tell you just the opposite. Choice is wonderful.

#4 ·
On the RI do the 38 Super cartridges headspace on the case mouth or the semi rim?
Before replacing it with a Barsto barrel the original worn out barrel on my Colt LW Commander had the semi rim headspacing and it was just a little tab sticking out from the side. All the 38 Super competition barrels use the case mouth headspacing for better reliability and I can understand why. It also allows you to use rimless 38 Super to eliminate hangups, except that I've got about 250 cases with the semi-rims.

#5 ·
Nice gun, though I would think it would be hard to pick the sights up, especially on a bright day. Never seen a Rock Island that didn't work well.

As for your 250 semi-rimmed cases, put them in a lathe and turn them off.

#6 ·
I have a RIA FS A1 but it isn't nickel plated. However if the sunlight on any of my firearms sights becomes a problem, I keep a kitchen size box of wooden matches with my range gear. It's quick and easy to black the sights by holding the flame close. Of course the carbon wipes right off as you're cleaning later.

#9 ·
Rocks are good reliable guns....compaired to all 1911's at any price I have and owned....have many 45's.
Turned down a 38...just nor enought in me to find special ammo...
out of my all my auto 's 380, 9 mm, 45 ....no new cals to horde up!

#10 ·
Thanks guys!The nickel ones seem to bring a premium over the matt blued guns,from what I am seeing on Gunbroker anyway,almost double.I think I did great on the price.Anyway the 38 super cal. is a great round and more accurate than a 45 or 9mm in my experience,this pistol is a real pleasure to shoot ,thanks for the tips on front sight!

#11 ·
I have one of these. I had been searching for a nickeled one for several years. When I bought mine I am absolutely certain that it was the only new nickel .38 Super for sale to be found anywhere on the Net. I think your ivory grips look very classy. I have some fake MOP grips that I had on it for a while, and then I stumbled across some poured polymer phony abalone. I LOVE them! But I'm out of the mainstream on a lot of things. Picture here, in a real alligator holster that my brother won in a raffle on the 1911 forum and gave me:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2nQhleHcjo/

#12 ·
junker --- I have a Rock Island 1911A1 in .45 caliber that I really like. It is quite accurate at 20 yds. and functions very well, never had a malfunction yet with the piece. I replaced the smooth grips with checkered wood grips and that gives me a better grip. I bought an eleven (11) pound recoil spring and installed it for use in the SASS (wild bunch) shoots with the reduced loads and lead bullets that I reload myself. You have a sweet looking and I'll bet shooting piece in the chrome plated Rock Island .38 Super.

#14 ·
I have one but in .45. Beautiful finish. I’ve shot it at my cas club matches along with my birdshead Ruger. The nose is my portrayal of Tim Strawn, Kid Sheleen’s bad twin brother both portrayed by Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou. I’ve also shot it at a zoot shoot. Nice looking and shooting 1911.

Attachments

#15 ·
Ah, Kid Sheleen. Good character, Marvin did a great job with the character. Made him a rather different character than Roy Chancellor's original in the book (Cat Ballou was rather different as portrayed by Hanoi Jane than Chancellor's original as well). Doubt you could do it now, but I'd like to see that one re-made by somebody with a feel for the Old West and done closer to the book, but that's me.

#16 ·
i almost bought RI super in blue...at the time I was reducing extra different ca..’s<>< dan
ive got a small bull bushing less rock in 45. Was my carry gun.

this pistol I’ve spoken many times....
Rock out shot full my first size Kimber 45...custom 2 ...
noticeably, and Without question!.
both shooting favorite ammo...
so sold my first Kimber model first year production...
was disappointed na...
I bought 4# more kimbers classed up extra hand fitting!
The model s cdp 2 custom shop, custom 2, raptor custom shop, and another oh covert custom shop..
All 45’s
I have many rock islands ...they compare, compete with 21/2 ax’s more expensive pistols...

and the finishes rock hard...better than most currently manufacturers spray painting methods !<>< Dan

God remember JJK when you come into your kingdom...amen....your really missed<>< dan

#17 ·
i almost bought RI super in blue.38 super.
..at the time I was reducing extra different ca..’S!
ive got a small rock island bull barrel bushing less 3 inch in 45. Was my carry gun!

this pistol I’ve spoken many times....accurate.
I this Rock out shot full size my first Kimber 45...custom 2 ...first year production
noticeably, and Without question!.
both shooting favorite ammo...
so sold my first Kimber.
was disappointed na...
I bought 4# more kimbers classed up to extra hand fitting!
The model s cdp 2 custom shop, custom 2, raptor custom shop, and another oh covert custom shop..
All 45’s
That being said I have many rock islands lost count?
...they compare, compete with 2 1/2 times more expensive pistols...

Plus the finishes is ROCK hard...
better than most currently manufacturers spray painting methods !<>< Dan

God remember JJK when you come into your kingdom...amen....your really missed<>< dan

#18 ·
DK I have 2 of the Bull Barrel compact Rock Islands; one in 9 mm the other in .45 acp. I bought all my Rock Island 1911s from a Gun Shop in Las Vegas; they were "used" as in firing pins removed and taken to gun shows as demos. After 3 months of gun shows they were sold as used (firing pins back in) but Rock Island honors their warranty as if they were sold as new. For the price point that Rock Islands sell for it's good value for the money.

When I bought the .45 Compact I was surprised when I opened the box to inspect the gun; I'll let the picture tell that story!

The shop has a Laser Engraver; and they burned in not only my name and rank, but also my screen name!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.