Thread: hog poop

Default hog poop

The state land where I've been deer hunting this week supposedly also has feral hogs. I haven't seen any, haven't seen any deer for that matter, but I did find some interesting scat this morning.

So what does hog poop look like? This was sort of tubular, looked sort of like human or dog poop and had undigested seeds in it. A few feet away was some ground that looked like maybe(?) it had been rooted up some.

I guess if you live long enough, you'll ask just about anything. I never thought I'd ask the whole world what poop looks like.

bingo, you've nailed it. kinda like human/dog. where do you hunt..... FLA?
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

Tennessee

Sounds like pig poo to me.

S boy, only one way to know for sure. rub some between your fingers and sniff it, if it doesn't smell like human or dog poo, it must be hog. let us know.:D
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

Default Hog Doo Doo and smart pills

Hello,

Feral hogs have a varied diet. They tend to run in herds made up of large and small animals. You might guess that a large hog leaves behind a larger scat. Generally it tends to be soft and full of fiber and particles from their diet. Bear poo is a lot like human but it too will represent a varied diet. I live in Arizona. Our coyotes often eat juniper berries and a bitter gourd when nothing much is available. The seeds are readily evident in their scat. I would describe their scat about the diameter of an average cigar and up to 3-4 inches in length. You will know for sure if there are tufts of animal fur in it as well.

Did you hear the joke about the new hunter that happened upon his first deer pellets? His buddies told him they were "smart pills". Go ahead, eat one, they encouraged. He did and reported that it tasted like crap. "Now you're getting smart", one old timer told him.

Cheers,

squib

I've had dogs all my life and I've got three kids. I've handled all the poo I want to. Thanks though, for all the help.

Talking

"Did you hear the joke about the new hunter that happened upon his first deer pellets? His buddies told him they were "smart pills". Go ahead, eat one, they encouraged. He did and reported that it tasted like crap. "Now you're getting smart", one old timer told him. "

squib[/quote]

The first time a real city type friend of my brother went deer hunting with us I had some licerice jeely beans in my pocket, we were scouting and every time we would find deer poop I would act like I picked some up and put a jelly bean in my mouth instead and tell him you have to taste it to tell if it came from a buck. It realy freaked the guy out and we didnt tell him, when we got back he told people that I was nuts for eating deer sh*t.

Hog crap is usually very soft and wet and it smells something awful.

Quote Originally Posted by albacore View Post
    Hog crap is usually very soft and wet and it smells something awful.
    I've been behind truckloads of them on the highways. Not pleasant.

This looked firm enough, and didn't have any odor that I noticed. I didn't get THAT close.

Hog crap is the worst stink! From working with them as farm animals, I can tel you the smell clings forever to clothes, boots, whatever.

If you WANT to smell it, take some latex gloves to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod WMG View Post
    Hog crap is the worst stink! From working with them as farm animals, I can tel you the smell clings forever to clothes, boots, whatever.

If you WANT to smell it, take some latex gloves to handle it.
    It's true, I raised hogs for a couple years. That smell doesn't leave.

I raised hogs as a kid and their leavings is truly nasty stuff.
    I have moved back to a small farm and won't have a steenking hog on the place.
    That said, all our hogs ate only corn or other ground prepared stuff.

I wonder if there is a difference from a wild diet?

The fun part of wild hog poop is when you are sneaking down a game trail in thick trees and come across a pile so big it looks like cut firewood, and it is still steaming ! I have photos of hog that look to be about 800 to 1000 lbs on the property next to where we hunt. I do try and have my 11.2mm Schueler rifle with me as much as possible around there. mag

Default Steaming firewood?

That's scary. We just had a guy get arrested in Wisconsin, for .. Get this: releasing Feral Hogs. I guess we have some now, too. You guys are right about the poop. It reeks. I've been around farms all my life, and cow poop smells like roses compared to it. 800 lb. hogs are something I never hope to encounter on my land, but because of this *ss, it's a real possibility. Cheers. Andy