Chinese SKS Sniper

Thread: Chinese SKS Sniper

Default Chinese SKS Sniper

Are these made up or are they legitimate snipers? Thanks. djClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Chin1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	2258065

Made up.
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

With that scope set so far back how would one ever get the SKS in a position to shoot it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thought they came from NAVY arms with 3 power scopes?
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 05-29-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Looks like a Navy Arms Farmer's Friend.

http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=1882.0

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

You have to ask yourself two questions when you consider the practicality of an SKS sniper rifle:

1. What is the maximum effective range of an SKS?

2. What is a pretty short distance shot for the typical sniper to make?

The answer for both would be approximately the same number, making the SKS pretty useless for sniping at 'the usual ranges' sniper rifles are used at.

I agree it does look like a farmer's friend.

A 4X32 variable power scope on an SKS, however, is pretty extreme overkill for a rifle whose inherent accuracy could just barely benefit from the 4X setting.

+1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    You have to ask yourself two questions when you consider the practicality of an SKS sniper rifle:

1. What is the maximum effective range of an SKS?

2. What is a pretty short distance shot for the typical sniper to make?

The answer for both would be approximately the same number, making the SKS pretty useless for sniping at 'the usual ranges' sniper rifles are used at.

I agree it does look like a farmer's friend.

A 4X32 variable power scope on an SKS, however, is pretty extreme overkill for a rifle whose inherent accuracy could just barely benefit from the 4X setting.

300 yards in city or jungle, forests ...it my fly...to some extent.
    In deserts open fields valley to valley not going to fly, against true built with purpose rifles!

Any scoped rifle that's a dime accurate at 100 yards can cover 300 yards hits in the hands of experts!

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    In deserts open fields valley to valley not going to fly, against true built with purpose rifles!

Any scoped rifle that's a dime accurate at 100 yards can cover 300 yards hits in the hands of experts!
    ...but you don't actually NEED a telescope of any kind to reliably hit man-sized target at 300 yards. Just about ANY WWII bolt action rifle could do that with its regular iron sights on the default battlesight setting.

Putting a 4X scope on an SKS extends it effective range by perhaps 100 yards. Dispersion-wise and bullet drop-wise putting a scope on such a rifle as the SKS under combat conditions would hardly be worth the effort.

It would be (sort of) akin to putting a scope on a 12 ga shotgun shooting 00 buck to try to get hits ten yards further out with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    ...but you don't actually NEED a telescope of any kind to reliably hit man-sized target at 300 yards. Just about ANY WWII bolt action rifle could do that with its regular iron sights on the default battlesight setting.

Putting a 4X scope on an SKS extends it effective range by perhaps 100 yards. Dispersion-wise and bullet drop-wise putting a scope on such a rifle as the SKS under combat conditions would hardly be worth the effort.

It would be (sort of) akin to putting a scope on a 12 ga shotgun shooting 00 buck to try to get hits ten yards further out with it.

Respectfully, Man size targets are not often presented on the battlefield like "E" silhouettes on the range. They ,as you stated, could be engaged with iron sights.
    The benefit of the scope is ability to detect smaller partially exposed or camouflaged targets which would not be practically visible through irons.
    It's not the effective range of the rifle your improving its the infantry-mans ability to engage. As was the case with the carbine and IR scope in Korea and to some extent the 4x colts
    in VN. Sniping does not always equate to "extended range".

No regular military force I am familiar with ever routinely equipped 7.62X39 rifles with scopes, though I have a very cool (and real) heavy slide Red Army 1950s Russian sidemount to allow the older PU scopes to be used on AK-47s. Don't think they were ever issued by the Soviets, but the 3 I got from Dmitry are really nice and quite official Soviet military manufacture. I think they were an experiment to see if they really had to make the SVDs. The answer was yes, make the SVDs, despite the best scope mount for AKs ever made and the most reliable midrange scope ever fielded.

I have a scoped Mini-30, a scoped AK and a scoped Yugo SKS, but none really help all that much with 3-4 MOA accuracy and a cartridge that drops bullets like rocks. Better than a sharp stick and fun, though. I might even call 'em "tactical" ( the most over-rated word in the language) but not "sniper."

Scopes on such rifles can be done and certainly help my old eyes, but, as said, the cartridge and limited accuracy of the SKS and Kalashnikov make it a self-limiting proposition.

The only combat use of 7.62X39 scoped rifles I am familiar with was in Kosovo, when scopes were fitted a few times to Zastava SKSs for urban use, mostly, I think, for shooting civilians who couldn't shoot back as "sniping" at 200 yards is generally a quick ticket to your maker against trained troops.

That is why the Soviets came up with the Dragunov SVD "designated marksman" concept - a 4X scope on a 10 round powerful rifle that shoots fast a lot further with greater accuracy and still lets you use the iron sights instantly. The had plenty of SKS and AKS, but those just couldn't be real sniper or even marksman's rifles. Just not up to the job either in Russia or China.
    Last edited by Stalin's Ghost; 06-02-2017 at 01:22 PM.

and at this point boys and girls is where a simple question with a simple answer (see post #2), goes completely sideways.

C'mon DK...300 yds is too easy ..your statement is actually accurate if you change the 300 to 600 yds.

ok here is the challenge for you and milp..
    22 rimfire 300-600 yards.
    SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ONE MAKES SILLY OPEN ENDED STATEMENTS.
    esp when it has little to do with the topic.

This particular SKS is a commercial gimmick model.

But legit scoped Yugo SKS carbines have been fighting in the Balkans, Middle East and Africa for decades.

Reliably effective from 400 yards-plus? Probably not. But scoped nonetheless.

The Chinese did have SKS made up as dedicated scoped snipers. The ones sold here are made to conform to the official ones; except the small scopes provided ( or the large ones as in this example) are not the ones used on actual PLA military Chinese sks scoped rifles.
    As martin08 stated above, such scoped SKS were used in many conflicts. Some yugo SKS have been imported with a variety of scope mounts from the wars in the former Yugoslavia.
    It does make a good short range scoped rifle as used in the streets at about 300 yards. It is not and was not intended to be a 'real' 1000 yard sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by sksguide View Post
    The Chinese did have SKS made up as dedicated scoped snipers. The ones sold here are made to conform to the official ones; except the small scopes provided ( or the large ones as in this example) are not the ones used on actual PLA military Chinese sks scoped rifles.
    As martin08 stated above, such scoped SKS were used in many conflicts. Some yugo SKS have been imported with a variety of scope mounts from the wars in the former Yugoslavia.
    It does make a good short range scoped rifle as used in the streets at about 300 yards. It is not and was not intended to be a 'real' 1000 yard sniper.
    I would enjoy seeing some of those scope mounts