Finnish Captured 1939 Izhevsk M38 in a Modified M91 Stock

Thread: Finnish Captured 1939 Izhevsk M38 in a Modified M91 Stock

Default Finnish Captured 1939 Izhevsk M38 in a Modified M91 Stock

Here's an interesting one I picked up recently. I have never seen another Finnish-captured M38 in a modified stock set like this. None of the numbers match, and the SA mark is very faint but present. The left side of the barrel is marked "7.62 * 53".

Speaking of Finnish captured M38's, does anyone know if the Finns ever made replacement stocks for them? I recall seeing one example that appeared to be so once.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4658.jpg  

IMG_4651.jpg  

IMG_4655.jpg  

IMG_4657.jpg  

IMG_4663.jpg  

IMG_4662.jpg  

IMG_4661.jpg  

IMG_4660.jpg  

IMG_4654.jpg  

IMG_4653.jpg  

IMG_4652.jpg  

IMG_4664.jpg  

Interesting caliber stamp. One of the M39's I got from SOG recently was stamped 7.62x53R but in a much more invasive manner than that.

I cant comment on the stock, but it looks very well done regardless of origin.

Where guys are too stupid for their own good.

Any markings on the stock to indicate the Finns did it?
    In memory of my son Sean James, born 6/25/97. Died 9/16/13.

We will be reunited in heaven.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Be interested to follow this thread and read some opinions. That is really interesting. One thing that strikes me is the incredibly smooth texture of the receiver and barrel. Maybe a walnut stock??? Band retention screws on both front and back barrel band.

Cool! Regards, John.

Wow that's a different one. Never seen a stock like that on an M38. That's a nice find.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Neat carbine!

Another nice carbine for your collection. Thanks for sharing.
    Now I'm going to have to clean that rifle!!

I'll take it!

Oops, wrong forum for that.

That carbine looks great in black walnut. Can you see any possible Remington marks on the right cheek?

I have not seen a Finnish made M38 stock, although one may have been posted here at one time, so don't rule it out.

I DID have a M38 in a modified M91 stock at one time. There was no Finn provenance but the stock had an Albanian flavor to it. It was very curious in that respect. It was obvious that the tang steps were cut out and the rear sight base was cut in much later in the life of the stock.

Neat carbine, congrats and thanks for posting.
    Now officially collecting Mosin M38s!

I have a similar gun but it has a handguard. The stock was made from a Finn m/30 stock though. The caliber designation leads me to another European country had it at one time. No other stamps on it that may indicate Germany or other? It is really good shape to have seen much service if at all, It kinda looks restored.
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Interesting and a 1939! Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    I have a similar gun but it has a handguard. The stock was made from a Finn m/30 stock though. The caliber designation leads me to another European country had it at one time. No other stamps on it that may indicate Germany or other? It is really good shape to have seen much service if at all, It kinda looks restored.
    Maybe in Vic's basement?? :+)

I likey
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

I MAY NEED SOME HELP FROM YOU ON A MOSIN NAGANT I JUST DUG OUT OF STORAGE. 1917 DATED WITH NO SOVIET MARKINGS ON IT! JUST THE TZAR CREST WITH THE UPSIDE DOWN "U". LOTS OF MIS MATCHED PARTS BUT THE RECEIVER AND BBL LOOK ORIGINAL. I WAS THINKING THAT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN LEFT OR CAPTURED WHEN THEY PULLED OUT OF WWI, BUT HAVE NO CLUE. CAN I SEND SOME PIX? [email protected] no cleaning rod either.

Since it is a rimmed casing, i guess it depends on how you measure it, no?

Quote Originally Posted by HOFFHACK View Post
    I MAY NEED SOME HELP FROM YOU ON A MOSIN NAGANT I JUST DUG OUT OF STORAGE. 1917 DATED WITH NO SOVIET MARKINGS ON IT! JUST THE TZAR CREST WITH THE UPSIDE DOWN "U". LOTS OF MIS MATCHED PARTS BUT THE RECEIVER AND BBL LOOK ORIGINAL. I WAS THINKING THAT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN LEFT OR CAPTURED WHEN THEY PULLED OUT OF WWI, BUT HAVE NO CLUE. CAN I SEND SOME PIX? [email protected] no cleaning rod either.
    You may want to start your own thread, and post pictures there.
    Currently In Search Of: Rare/Interesting/Oddball Finnish (or Finn'd Russian) M/91s and M/91-24s.

In Honor and Memory of a Loving and Devoted Wife

I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free. His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsky View Post
    Another nice carbine for your collection. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, Al! I'll bring it with me when I visit later this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Iowa View Post
    I'll take it!

Oops, wrong forum for that.

That carbine looks great in black walnut. Can you see any possible Remington marks on the right cheek?

I have not seen a Finnish made M38 stock, although one may have been posted here at one time, so don't rule it out.

I DID have a M38 in a modified M91 stock at one time. There was no Finn provenance but the stock had an Albanian flavor to it. It was very curious in that respect. It was obvious that the tang steps were cut out and the rear sight base was cut in much later in the life of the stock.

Neat carbine, congrats and thanks for posting.
    Your possible Albanian modified example sounds neat, any pictures? I thought the stock looked like walnut as well, but if the cartouche was there it as since been erased.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    Vic, your M38 was the similar example I was thinking of. I recall the stock is spliced on yours. Yes the caliber designation is odd, and it does seem refinished. An interesting one for sure.

Regarding Finn replacement M38 stocks, I remember seeing pics from forum member JPS of a SA M38 in Finn pot-belly stock. He wasn't ready to sell it to me at the time...

The commercial grade polishing and rebluing makes the whole thing suspect. Very likely "Finn Bubba".

What identifies this as a Finnish capture. Mine has the SA on it, didn't notice that on this one.

Sparky won a rifle either last year or two years ago. The stock was a cut down walnut M91 stock. I'm not sure if the rifle was a shortened U.S. made M91 as well. Your M38 stock looks similar to that stock.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Mosin Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by eyesis View Post
    The commercial grade polishing and rebluing makes the whole thing suspect. Very likely "Finn Bubba".
    You can see a faint SA stamp next to the calibre marking.