Default Extended floorplates for Tokarev Magazines

Is there a source for extended floorplates for the tokarev mags. Just looking for comfort with the short grip, not additional capacity. Actually the backside of the mag is the most uncomfortable place for me. The edge of the mag digs into my hand.
    Last edited by Morning Wood; 11-28-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Never heard of one. Doubt you'd find good quality even if you did find a source. you could de-horn a couple of mag floorplates if it really bothers you.

Don't know of a source, have one on my original Tok mag though. You might look for some of the fat grips, but I don't know of a souce for those either. Or maybe slip on a Hogue?

... Update ... just looking at Gunbroker, and there are 2 9mm mags for sale "with finger-rest". These are the narrow mags for 9mm only, not 7.62x25 . G'luck.
    Last edited by FranconiaFriend; 11-30-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FranconiaFriend View Post
    Don't know of a source, have one on my original Tok mag though. You might look for some of the fat grips, but I don't know of a souce for those either. Or maybe slip on a Hogue?

... Update ... just looking at Gunbroker, and there are 2 9mm mags for sale "with finger-rest". These are the narrow mags for 9mm only, not 7.62x25 . G'luck.
    Tried one of those 9mm tok mag floorplate. No good. Too short.

Interesting idea.

Would be easy to make. Plastic or solid aluminum.
    Formerly LeeSpeed; I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth...and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary...I believe in the Holy Spirit...the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeSpeed View Post
    Interesting idea.

Would be easy to make. Plastic or solid aluminum.
    Either. Preferrably plastic, alum would be fine though, properly dehorned. Crank us a few out.

Default poly extension

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    Either. Preferrably plastic, alum would be fine though, properly dehorned. Crank us a few out.
    Here's one in black polypropelene {butcher block}, same stuff I use for knife handles, sized for the heavy wool gloves I wear on my ski jaunts.

As I said, easy to make.
    Last edited by 9.3x57; 12-05-2008 at 07:50 PM.
    Formerly LeeSpeed; I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth...and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary...I believe in the Holy Spirit...the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.

Here's one in black polypropelene {butcher block}, same stuff I use for knife handles, sized for the heavy wool gloves I wear on my ski jaunts.

As I said, easy to make.

I had conceived replacing the floorplate, but I suppose those would work.

How did you attach them?

How about making the front smaller. Maybe something like a CZ70 or a PA63 extention. As long as it is proud at the rear, it should keep the mag edge from digging into my palm.

How much to make me some of these?

Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    I had conceived replacing the floorplate, but I suppose those would work.

How did you attach them?

How about making the front smaller. Maybe something like a CZ70 or a PA63 extention. As long as it is proud at the rear, it should keep the mag edge from digging into my palm.

How much to make me some of these?

Good work!
    Thanks.

I rivetted the thing to the mag base plate.

I used a piece of half inch poly-p I had, but might make another one from a piece of 3/8. I also have some aluminum and flat iron stock. Also makes for easy jerking of the pistol out of the holster even when wearing gloves.

The butt portion thickness makes for positive seating of the mag, that's for sure.

I've I have no interest in making any for sale. Too many other projects going.

BTW: Any material that stands proud at the rear will likely become annoying during long shooting sessions. I specifically made this one to avoid that.
    Last edited by 9.3x57; 12-05-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks.

I rivetted the thing to the mag base plate.

I used a piece of half inch poly-p I had, but might make another one from a piece of 3/8. I also have some aluminum and flat iron stock. Also makes for easy jerking of the pistol out of the holster even when wearing gloves.

The butt portion thickness makes for positive seating of the mag, that's for sure.

I've I have no interest in making any for sale. Too many other projects going.

BTW: Any material that stands proud at the rear will likely become annoying during long shooting sessions. I specifically made this one to avoid that.

So, you're just going to all this trouble and setup to make one to tease me with?
    Last edited by Morning Wood; 12-05-2008 at 10:31 PM.

M - W -- no, I expect Lee'd already done that project before you asked. He's out in some pretty bitter weather a lot from what I gather, and so if you want to know how to boil a gun down to something workable with cold hands he's a good one to ask.

Actually, I whipped the thing together yesterday after work.

No tease, just that I actually have thought of the same thing for a while and needed a shove off the fence and this thread did it. If you make one, remember to put a countersunk disassembly hole in the thing right over the retention slot in the base plate. I merely drilled two holes; one wide inside and continuing on with a small hole so I can get an awl in to depress the mag spring to allow disassembly. Otherwise once you assemble the mag, that's it, you can't disassemble.

The other concept I wanted to explore was a thicker mag base as seating the Tok mag with gloves on is a "sometimes" thing. I have gotten so I tap the mag three times when I seat them as they need a bit of extra Ooomph to engage the mag catch. I've adjusted the notches in the mags a bit already and will allow for wear-in. Some psare mags I've bought would not engage my Pole at all when I first got them. Interestingly, all those set up for my Pole fit my Romanian.

Default final version

Here it is trimmed down to allow easier withdrawl of the spare mag from the mag pouch on my holster.

Sorry for the lousy picture. It was blowing and foggy this morning at the top of the mountain on the hike, and I think the lense frosted over.

The Chinese Type 54-1 has the finger lip on it's magazines. You might adapt some of them to some Tok mags.

Default try buymilsurp.com

i found some at http://www.buymilsurp.com they fit the 7.62 magazine.

They have a round hole in the bottom center and so will not engage the small tab on the bottom plate of the mag.

What i did was flip the plate over and just slid the extender on that way. It stays on well, but there is nothing really holding it there except for the tension on the mag spring.

I think the extender (combined with a houge slip on grip) is a vast improvement comfort-wise. I recommend it highly for the ham-fisted.

get one and try it out to see if it works for you, then you can order more. i had no problems ordering or receiving the parts from that site.