Thread: M1889 Imperial German NCO Degen

Default M1889 Imperial German NCO Degen

My father gave this to me a few years ago. I know it is WW1 era NCO degen. What are these things worth these days.? I don't want to sell it, just curious.

Thanks,
    Millman

Check ebay for similar swords, I'd guess. In my opinion, it is worth over $200, maybe over $300 with the etching. If a unit is named, it may bring more than a standard etching pattern: I didn't see one on your blade. There can be a fairly wide range in prices. I might add that at least in this area (southeast Idaho) IF you can find a sword at a gun show, it's possible it might sell cheaper than what they seem to bring on ebay.
    Neat sword.
    You probably know, but the double squirrel maker logo means it's made by Eichorn.

Thanks doughboy. No, it is not unit marked. The etching is pretty much the same on both sides.

Millman

Kavallrie Degen Modell 1889

Millman: What you have is an "extra purchase" KD 89, not necessarily NCO, most likely a "Dreijahrfreiwilliger" or "three year volunteer". Generally these guys were more likely to be somewhat richer than the average draftee, so they were allowed to buy a fancier Degen, engraved and nickel plated. They did buy their own gear as part of the deal, so they bought stuff that was nicer than the usual issue....

The arms on the basket indicate Preussen-Oldenburg and some other combined state armies, Sachen, Bayern, Wuerttemburg, and some of the other states used their own coat of arms and cyphers on their Kavallrie Degene und Palloschen.

A very nice KD 89 and hard to find these days...

Dale
    "If those sweethearts won't face German bullets, Then they'll face French ones!"

Thank you Vonmazur. That is the best info I have found anywhere.

Millman