Movie check - firing a Barret in confined space

Thread: Movie check - firing a Barret in confined space

Default Movie check - firing a Barret in confined space

Saw something that triggered a memory, but I forget the specifics
    mind you I was just a medic, covering the range for our sniper platoon, they were talking about employing loopholes
    I seem to remember there are considerations when shooting a heavy rifle in confined spaces
    especially one with as efficient a muzzle break as the Barret

Was watching TV, saw the 'sniper' set in a small room shooting through a hole cut in window glass,
    first though was 'that's not right' second one was, that'll hurt (no ear pro either)
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

And we didn't blow up, so we got that going for us. Which is nice.

shooting thru one hole..you need a second to see thru.
    and the only "safe" place is right behind a barrett brake.
    then the noise...holy schitt.

i shot in a bench match once where the guy
    next to me had a brake on his rifle...

and knocking stuff off my bench~!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Firing a Hakim in open space will make a believer out of anyone. In an enclosed space NFW!!

Cost of a new tail light assembly $200, watching your dad shoot that Barret in 50bmg was priceless. Smile on his face was worth it. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by ar10ar15man View Post
    shooting thru one hole..you need a second to see thru.
    and the only "safe" place is right behind a barrett brake.
    then the noise...holy schitt.

i shot in a bench match once where the guy
    next to me had a brake on his rifle...

and knocking stuff off my bench~!
    Different range, I was watching with the bino's, standing behind them, went to walk off the berm during mag change, was just stepping
    on the first step when they started again, the blast almost face planted me 8' down if I hadn't caught the railing.

Actually wondered about the window, wouldn't cutting a hole in it weaken it, making it prone to shatter from the over pressure
    Vic

Rambo movie I saw today, had him firing a LAW out through the windshield of his huey and had a few pow's in the back. Ah the things they do in movies. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by samamara View Post
    Rambo movie I saw today, had him firing a LAW out through the windshield of his huey and had a few pow's in the back. Ah the things they do in movies. Frank

Now, where did I misplace that of the Jihadi (or Taliban, forget which) firing a RPG and blowing the guys behind him out of frame?
    Vic

I agree that the only safe place to be when firing a big bore rifle with a brake is directly behind it. My AR50 will blow any loose objects off the bench when fired. If you are standing off to the side it will practically blow the hat off you head! I fired it at a covered range once but quit after only a few shot's. The noise was so obnoxious I was driving everyone else away.

My understanding is the cone type flash suppressors work better at redirecting the blast on the bench, but increase recoil, which is why they're used on .50 BFA's
    Vic

The ports on the my AR50 brake are angled back and do a great job of reducing recoil. Mine has been fired by 10-12yr old kids with no issues, the weight of rifle also helps in reducing recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinitis View Post
    Now, where did I misplace that of the Jihadi (or Taliban, forget which) firing a RPG and blowing the guys behind him out of frame?
    There's a scene in "Deal Of The Century" where Chevy Chase fires an M-72 LAW out the window of an apartment with the potential buyers standing behind him.

A few years back I was told of two gangbangers in LA who accidently fired a shot from an SKS inside a small closed up Toyota - both had permanent ear damage (eardrums ruptured) and one had a possible concussion from the muzzle blast close to his head, sort of like an IED blast brain injury.

A 45,000 psi cork popped inches from your head - not groovy.

There was a similar documented case of a Mini-14 fired in a closed car with similar results - more than just deaf from shooting in an airtight car.

And that ain't a Barrett, with a 54,000 psi cork popped from a lot bigger bottle!

I assume a full-boat .50 BMG muzzlebrake in a tight closed small room would probably knock your eardrums right about into the center of your skull, with earplugs right on top of them, but I will leave the experiment to others.

Even a hot .44 Magnum at the indoor range is not fun to hear near you and that is just peanuts in the big .50 BMG pressure wave category, but in Hollywood folks can shoot a GE Minigun with one hand, Uzi mags on full auto last for three minutes without reloading, the bad guys always miss and hit just the bottles and mirror on the bar with about 300 rounds.

Plus getting shot always blows the bad guys back at least ten feet and every bad guy dies instantly while the good guys get only a flesh wound and you can always just jump out of the way of an incoming RPG round.

My personal favorite is when Bruce Willis looks down the elevator shaft, sees the fiery hot C4 explosion coming up at him and has plenty of time to pull back out of the way - now that takes some Hollywood reflexes! After all, C4 only goes off at some 8,750 meters per second, if I recall, and Bruce is a whole lot faster than that!
    Last edited by Stalin's Ghost; 06-09-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Me, I'm fond of the invisible brass that come out of ALL these hero's firearms...

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by Stalin's Ghost View Post
    My personal favorite is when Bruce Willis looks down the elevator shaft, sees the fiery hot C4 explosion coming up at him and has plenty of time to pull back out of the way - now that takes some Hollywood reflexes! After all, C4 only goes off at some 8,750 meters per second, if I recall, and Bruce is a whole lot faster than that!
    You forget: Chuck Norris taught him how to do that, and Chuck is WAY faster.

Yeah, Chuck Norris really is a whole lot faster than plain old c4!
    He could just surf that blast's pressure wave on a motorcycle over a building and jump off when he got to the bad guys, no problem.
    (Everything Chuck Norris does is real, I am sure. But all the rest are fakes.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    You forget: Chuck Norris taught him how to do that, and Chuck is WAY faster.