Default .303 Lee-Metford (photo)

- If anyone has a British .303 Lee-Metford rifle, I would like to see a close picture [from right, left and below] showing the bayonet lug and the cleaning rod [nicknamed the "Long Tom"]. Thanks in advance for any help, Lido 11/30/08

1 Dec. 2008
    11:15pm

What model are you after, chief?

• Lee-Metford mk. I.
    • Lee-Metford mk. I*
    • Lee-Metford mk. II
    • Lee-Metford mk. II*

The first is virtually unobtainable, but has a rod and lug the same as the second (mk. I*). The last is very scarce but has a rod and lug the same as the third (mk. II).

Coggansfield

- @ coggansfield: Thanks for your reply. I'm looking for the .303 Lee-Metford rifle, the model which uses the Patt.1888 MkI (2nd type) knife bayonet. This bayonet has an unfullered blade 12-inches long and the wooden grips are secured to the blade tang by 2 brass rivets with brass washers; by the brass rivet located close to the pommel, there is a cleaning hole. I have two British bayonets Patt.1888 MkI (2nd type), one is complete and nice, the other has no grips and the metal parts [pommel, tang, crosspiece and blade] are pitted. I'm working now to polish the pitted bayonet and I'm going to make aluminum grips for it. I want those pictures in order to see the bayonet lug and the cleaning rod. I'm also interested to know the diameter of the cleaning rod [the larger section which is by the bayonet lug]. After I measured the cut-out from the blade tang where the cleaning rod enters, it looks like the diameter of the cleaning rod [by the bayonet lug] should be about 11/32 inch but I want to be 100% sure of the real value. Lido 12/01/08
    Last edited by Lido; 12-01-2008 at 11:59 PM.

1893 LSA MkII
    Last edited by mr303; 12-02-2008 at 04:04 AM.

- @ mr303: Thank you very much for the nice pictures. If it isn't too much to ask, I would like to know these values: => 1) The diameter of the cleaning rod head [the section which can be seen in your pictures]; => 2) The distance measured between the end of the locking lug and the end of the cleaning rod. Any values ["mm" or "inch"] would be OK. Thanks again, Lido 12/02/08

The diameter of the rod is 7.5mm and it protrudes 37mm

Quote Originally Posted by mr303 View Post
    The diameter of the rod is 7.5mm and it protrudes 37mm
    Crikey mate!! can you even see it over your moustache?

- @ mr303: Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it. Lido 12/03/08

No worries Lido, 5th batt phoned me last night and said he had left a nice comment for me!