M28

Thread: M28

Default M28

Bought this one a couple years ago, barrel is shiny and strong - Took me many years to find one(SIG barreled) in person, to date found only two M28s in person in the last 15 years or so.

Pahtu.

M-28's rock!

Love it! That's a beauty! Thanks for sharing!
    Currently In Search Of: Rare/Interesting/Oddball Finnish (or Finn'd Russian) M/91s and M/91-24s.

In Honor and Memory of a Loving and Devoted Wife

I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free. His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

A nice old warhorse.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Lots of character, I like it. Excellent pics too (as usual in your posts).

Outstanding. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup another nice one for sure. I think I have approx. 20 M28s but do not think a one of them has the .xx on bolt knob like yours. Either they have been mismatched or have the four numbers. Not trying to whine here or anything. Very nice one with lots of matching and original numbers. Yes thank you for sharing some of your really nice collection. This one does rock for sure. Regards, John.

I found about the Gun boards back in 2009 I think. It was Pahtu's Classic pictures that really got me hooked. Thanks Pahtu...

Outstanding rifle with lots of character. I like a lot.

Easy to agree with others. Your pics are just excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been collecting for about fifteen years and I have only two M28's. They just don't fall out of trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
    M-28's rock!
    Yes, yes they do!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by LottaMosins View Post
    Love it! That's a beauty! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks!

You betcha!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    A nice old warhorse.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Relic View Post
    Lots of character, I like it. Excellent pics too (as usual in your posts).
    Thank you! The light was not great as it can be around here, took pics mid day or so, later in the day....Mosquitoes the size of bats zoom in....

Pahtu.

Default M28

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    Yes, yes they do!

Pahtu.
    Your making me sad, I had to pass one one on GB because I've been spending too much lately! I don't want to hear how awesome M38s are. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by N8theSk8 View Post
    Outstanding. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you, I appreciate that!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Devil View Post
    Yup another nice one for sure. I think I have approx. 20 M28s but do not think a one of them has the .xx on bolt knob like yours. Either they have been mismatched or have the four numbers. Not trying to whine here or anything. Very nice one with lots of matching and original numbers. Yes thank you for sharing some of your really nice collection. This one does rock for sure. Regards, John.
    Thanks John, just lucked out in buying it - Fellow who sold it to me was a graduate from the school I work at, but....was a graduate from the 1950s.... We have since become friends....

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Bearbait View Post
    I found about the Gun boards back in 2009 I think. It was Pahtu's Classic pictures that really got me hooked. Thanks Pahtu...
    Thank you for the kind words - I also became hooked on the forum when I saw posts of wonderful things & was impressed with the knowledge base here.

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by SPOV View Post
    Outstanding rifle with lots of character. I like a lot.

Easy to agree with others. Your pics are just excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, it takes a little practice knowing when and how to take the pics in full light, but it is the camera - My eyesight is so poor I can hardly get focus on the viewfinder screen....

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by jd428jd View Post
    Your making me sad, I had to pass one one on GB because I've been spending too much lately! I don't want to hear how awesome M38s are. Lol

Don't be sad... be glad....

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by ExecChef View Post
    I've been collecting for about fifteen years and I have only two M28's. They just don't fall out of trees.
    I found both of these.....not around here......

Pahtu.

Great photos of a great example of an M28.

Your photos raise a question, as I have always wondered about o XXXXX, a small circle followed by five numbers stamped on the left side of some barrels near the receiver, as in a M91/24 I own. As I recall, there was some speculation that this number may have been a number stamped by Bohler-Stahl, or perhaps the Finns, for the barrels they provided under contract. I do not recall that there has been any definitive answer as to the origin of these stamps or their purpose.

Since, the similar o 17865 barrel stamp appears on this M28, and the o 65 stamp on the ball of the bolt handle in the same font, it would seem to me that these numbers had to be done by the Finns for some purpose that I do not know. Does anyone have any more information on the source and purpose of these markings?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin' Finn View Post

Your photos raise a question, as I have always wondered about o XXXXX, a small circle followed by five numbers stamped on the left side of some barrels near the receiver, as in a M91/24 I own. As I recall, there was some speculation that this number may have been a number stamped by Bohler-Stahl, or perhaps the Finns, for the barrels they provided under contract. I do not recall that there has been any definitive answer as to the origin of these stamps or their purpose.

Since, the similar o 17865 barrel stamp appears on this M28, and the o 65 stamp on the ball of the bolt handle in the same font, it would seem to me that these numbers had to be done by the Finns for some purpose that I do not know. Does anyone have any more information on the source and purpose of these markings?
    The number with the small o in front of it is the rifles serial number, only SIG made barrels have the o preceding the serial number. Some SIG made M24 barrels also have the o preceding the serial number.

Very nice! I love all the detail shots, like the knurled cleaning rod end, the worn leather collars and the buttstock finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin' Finn View Post
    Thanks!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphorus32 View Post
    Very nice! I love all the detail shots, like the knurled cleaning rod end, the worn leather collars and the buttstock finish.
    Thank you!

The digital pics detail more than my eye can pick up - Sometimes the pics surprise me, like if I catch a bug on the end of the barrel, or the dust the piece is covered with, etc.

Pahtu.

Hello Pahtu,

Great images of your M28.

I have always been an M28 guy (until Flyin Brian got me hooked on M28/30 for Silhouette shooting). This M28 has it all with great character. This image has inspired me to dig out my M28 s and appreciate them!

Enjoyed meeting you at the Reno Gun Show a number of years ago (introduced by Brian).

Your images are great and what a background!

Thanks for the images!

Russ
    Tiledude
    aka Russ aka Mobile Marksman

I love the character on this m28! I really wish I was into milsurp collecting 20+ years ago when I was living back east and saw all of these on the racks at the Roses stores in the early 90's! I'd see more of these in a day than I've seen locally in the last 5 years I've been collecting them!
    Lotema

Quote Originally Posted by Lotema View Post
    I love the character on this m28! I really wish I was into milsurp collecting 20+ years ago when I was living back east and saw all of these on the racks at the Roses stores in the early 90's! I'd see more of these in a day than I've seen locally in the last 5 years I've been collecting them!
    We never had many M27, M28 and M28/30 available in the West during that era - I was collecting them then - Mainly M39 and 91/30s were around as well as some M91.
    Tiledude
    aka Russ aka Mobile Marksman

Quote Originally Posted by Tiledude View Post
    Hello Pahtu,

Great images of your M28.

I have always been an M28 guy (until Flyin Brian got me hooked on M28/30 for Silhouette shooting). This M28 has it all with great character. This image has inspired me to dig out my M28 s and appreciate them!

Enjoyed meeting you at the Reno Gun Show a number of years ago (introduced by Brian).

Your images are great and what a background!

Thanks for the images!

Russ
    Thanks Russ, I remember meeting you & wonder how many Gunboards members I passed by at shows here and there!

I have had 8 or so M28s over the years, but only fired a couple of them - I also like the 28-30 and a couple of mine are pretty accurate - Now to fire them with handloads!

Pahtu.

Great looking m28 Gary thanks for the pics. Denny

Quote Originally Posted by SSG_Lord View Post
    The number with the small o in front of it is the rifles serial number, only SIG made barrels have the o preceding the serial number. Some SIG made M24 barrels also have the o preceding the serial number.
    When it comes to m/28 rifles, yes, only SIG barrels seem to have the o prefix. However, with m/24 rifles it is actually Böhlers with high serials that have the o prefix. I have no idea of the reason.

Obviously it was SAKO that stamped the o prefix to the bolt knob like we can see on Pahtu's rifle. This suggests that the barrel serial number was stamped at the factory too.