Gunboards Forums banner

Recent Gunbroker Win - CONFIRMED! Dated SIG Straight Barrel M/91-24!

2K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Northpack99 
#1 · (Edited)
This rifle was a recent Gunbroker auction win. The pictures in the listing weren't great, but the barrel shank picture showed what appeared to be a dated barrel M/24, and I believe that's what it is. Once I saw it, I had to have it and I just picked it up today. Love the rifle, but the seller definitely left something to be desired...

Anyways, I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this one, hope you enjoy the photos! (I also included pics of the gun disassembled, which are posted after the nice pics.) While the stock looks light in color, I believe it to have an original Finn finish applied, which looks just like the stock finish/color on my 1927 Tikka M/91 I posted recently. It definitely doesn't look messed with in person..

Oh, and here's a pic of my little girl (3 - going on 13, lol). She said she wanted to come outside with me while I took pictures, then said she wanted a picture with the rifle. Like I could say no! :)

(The rifle pics will be in the next frame)

See less See more
#2 ·

Here are pics of the rifle disassembled:

#6 ·
You make a good point, but there are examples of M/24s without the SIG/Böhler-Stahl crests. Honestly I'm not entirely sure what it is either, but the date/N# style stamp on the barrel matches the same things seen on dated barrel examples of M/24s, so that's why I figured that was the most likely choice, especially with an original CG rear sight/front sight, CG marked stock/buttplate, M/24/early CG modification to the stock (the crossbolt that retains the front band), and the Christmas tree stamp. I figured since all these features point more to an M/24, that would be the more logical conclusion.

Here's a link to a thread discussing some of the known examples:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?329762-M24-with-dated-barrel

#11 ·
I see you have the action out of the stock. Since SIG did the only run of, "straight barrels", I would think it would at least have their production stamp and number (sometimes called the tulip or pacman number) on the underside - even if the scripting wasn't present.

I figure you would have posted pics of that, so it's likely not there?

Just trying to help track down where/what it is : )

#12 ·
Another very good point, and I tried to show the lack of such a stamp with my pics of the bottom of the barrel, and as you said its not there. Honestly, I'm not sure. Then again we have seen plenty of weird oddities among the M/24 model so I guess it's not totally out of the realm to have either not been stamped or to have been removed when the barrel was shortened.

Oddballs among the M/24s, just to name a few:

- SIG barrel M/24 with the production number on the top of the chamber and SIG stamp on the bottom, Neuhausen script in the normal location, right side above the woodline.
- SIG barrel M/24 with a Neuhausen N/rifle mark on the left side instead of the Neuhausen script on the right side. Also an "o" serial far above the known range for M/24 production.
- Böhler-Stahl barrel M/24 with no CG crest, only a Christmas tree mark, a =S=, pressure proof, and partial "Böhler-Stahl" on the bottom. I know this one retained the maker mark on the bottom, but since the original CG crest would've been removed, its not out of the realm to expect at least one out there without the maker mark/production number there.
- Not really M/24s, but many examples of M/91s with "o" serials have surfaced out there, along with a few examples with Christmas tree marks

- I'm sure there are plenty of other oddballs, but these are the ones that I could think of right this moment, in any case I tried to approach the whole process from a logical standpoint, adding in the true consideration that we can "never say never, nor always" with Finns. :)

The reason I lean toward M/24 designation is all of the M/24 features, combined with the markings (the date/N#) that match dated M/24 barrel examples. If there was at least ONE known M/91 with such markings, I'd lean more toward M/91 designation because it doesn't have the SIG markings usually seen on their barrels, but I've yet to see one or even hear mention of some such example. ;)

#22 ·
What gun? Only saw a smile that would make the darkest day bright. 😃

#17 ·
I think this one might just be worth having Mangrove look into. Maybe he can verify what it truly is.

#18 ·
My SIG straight barrel 91/24 also has a very different rear sight. It's my favorite rifle largely because of that sight. It has a nice square notched blade screwed to the old M91 sight. That's an interesting rifle as they all are but I don't see it being a "straight barrel 91/24", at least not in the configuration I'm used to seeing. Maybe a prototype, barrel test sample or something like that? Pretty nice.

#20 ·
#21 ·
My 1st thoughts were not to consider your rifle as an M24 but I am starting to lean that way. Maybe not all the way there yet! If it walks like a duck and talks like one then well --- ..

Finnish VKT, Finnish SAKO and Belgian marked "B" barrels were purchased by the Finnish Army to build there M39 rifles. But we also find rifles with Tikka barrels, rifles with only dates on the barrels others with no dates or makers on the barrels and even Imperial Russian M91 barrels and all of these rifles we all refer to as M39s.

#24 ·
Nothing yet, waiting to hear back from Mangrove.

#25 · (Edited)
A few research notes based on documents from the National Archives of Finland:
  • A M91 captured during the Finnish Civil War, S118199, S/N 86.
  • "Factory: Neuhaus" (SIG) and "barrel by Oulu Civil Guard in 1924" (sic).
  • Used by Oulu Civil Guard at least between 1929 and 1939.
  • Chamber reworked by SAKO in 1937.

#27 ·
Here are the scans and CoA I received from Mangrove: :)

#28 ·
Certificate of Authenticity

That certificate of authenticity from "Mangrove" is awesome. I also have a M24, M38 capture and M28/30. How can I obtain a certificate for mine? Thank you in advance. I am a novice collector of Finnish Mosins. I am also new to Gunboards. Your daughter is a beauty, love the rose bush too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.