Thread: Arisaka with no serial numbers/markings

Default Arisaka with no serial numbers/markings

Hi, recently I came into possession of an Arisaka rifle and upon trying to find more information about it I realized my gun doesn't have any of the markings it should, just a set of kana characters between the two receiver holes

I made a post on ar15.com and was told to ask here, you can find the original post and pictures of the rifle here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=14&t=260739

I've been told it might be a trainer or "school rifle", but it doesn't seem like anyone is totally sure about it.

And I'd just like to say, sorry in advance for the pictures my phone is the only camera I have at the moment

It is a training rifle for firing blanks only, do not fire with live ammo.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Whew, thank you! I was beginning to think I'd never get a straight answer :D

Any idea what the relevance of the missing numbers would be? From what I've seen most trainers are still marked with some kind of serial number or something, this only has the characters in the picture. Also, the firing pin seems to have been used, can I assume that was from blanks and not live ammo?
    Last edited by TheMimeKing; 12-02-2008 at 02:18 PM.

It's really difficult to tell, but I think it's an Izawa Type Trainer. Some companies numbered their trainers and some didn't.
    The rifle may have been used with blanks (hopefully) or may have been used post-war in America with live ammunition. Either way, DON'T SHOOT this rifle!

Many/most trainers have minimal markings and low or no serial number stamped.

I too think it may be a Izawa trainer, though the drawing of the markings is not exactly the same, so it may be another brand.

Firing pin could have been used for most anything, I don't think it means much at all.

I'm surprised you got any answer on an AR forum, some of the answers were spot on.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

It's an Izawa trainer. Izawa didn't serial number this type of trainer.

C/

Thanks a lot for all of your help everybody!

Its good to finally know exactly what I've got, I was beginning to think I'd never find any new information