The ad read, Mosin Nagant........
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The ad read, Mosin Nagant........

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Crotch Of The Country
    Posts
    2,800

    Default The ad read, Mosin Nagant........

    7.62x54. I sat down at my computer this morning rather bored, and decided to check the on-line version of our local shopper. This publication has a column for sporting firearms, and that's the section I went to peruse. On the top of the list was an ad for a Mosin Nagant rifle in 7.62x54 cal. Well, nothing ventured as they say, so I made the call at about 9 a.m. I asked the man who answered to describe the rifle to me, and he seemed just unable to get beyond the description in his ad, so I began asking questions. Does it have a folding bayonet? No. Does it have a ring around the front sight? No. Look, it's one of those Russian rifles, what more can I say. Is the front sight a blade? Yes. Now we're getting somewhere. What is the stamp on the barrel shank? Huh, what do you mean? Look at the top of the barrel just behind the rear sight. What do you see? There's a SA in a box. My mind is thinking a Finned 91/30 or maybe a Finn M91. Well, it's time to go see what he has.

    I entered the man's house an hour later, and he handed me a VKT M39. 75 percent blue left on it, Very nice bore. Good solid wartime stock. 1942 date. $150 firm.

    The bore was dirty, but has cleaned up to real nice. I already have a couple M39's, but for 150$ why not have another?
    Last edited by Shoots High; 06-13-2017 at 05:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    1,647

    Default

    I already have a couple M39's, but for 150$ why not have another?
    Indeed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dark and Bloody Ground
    Posts
    7,333

    Default

    You know this is coming, but pics or it didn't happen.







  4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South of DC
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Relic View Post
    You know this is coming, but pics or it didn't happen.
    Yeah, I'm with Relic on this one. Pics or you're a Liar!!!!
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

    This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South of DC
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Shoots, did he have any ammo???
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

    This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Crotch Of The Country
    Posts
    2,800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VA-Vet View Post
    Shoots, did he have any ammo???
    Ya know, I thought of that, but I felt so bad I didn't want to take further advantage of the gentleman . For those of you who have never seen a M39 I can do pics, but it won't be tonight

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Congrats! Looking forward to pics. I just picked up one of those "Russian" rifles myself off of our local Armslist. One picture of the rifle that looked like it was taken with a potato but that was enough to see it was in a Finn potbelly stock. A quick email asking for a pic of the barrel shank was followed by a quick "I'll take it" once the requested picture was received. Turned out to be a round receiver Tikka with a plum barrel. Got 82 rounds of Academy 7.62x54R thrown in. $225 total.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    451

    Default

    Those are my favorite kind of ads! Most folks just scoff and keep scrolling but half the time it turns into something really nice and the owner just doesn't know or care about it. Got a Tikka 91/30, antique Tula m91 and a m28/30 all on the cheap with those "Russian Rifle" adds. More please!

    Can't wait to see pics of the new M39! The less you spend on them, the better they look!
    Lotema

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    1,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Hammer View Post
    Congrats! Looking forward to pics. I just picked up one of those "Russian" rifles myself off of our local Armslist. One picture of the rifle that looked like it was taken with a potato but that was enough to see it was in a Finn potbelly stock. A quick email asking for a pic of the barrel shank was followed by a quick "I'll take it" once the requested picture was received. Turned out to be a round receiver Tikka with a plum barrel. Got 82 rounds of Academy 7.62x54R thrown in. $225 total.
    Lucky you. Here in PA on Armslist a guy advertised a "43 Tikkalosi" Mosin and >700 rounds of silver tip surplus for $425. His one pic all I could see were 91/30 back sights. Had him send me a pic of the receiver and his Tikka was an Izhevsk....

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lotema View Post
    Those are my favorite kind of ads! Most folks just scoff and keep scrolling but half the time it turns into something really nice and the owner just doesn't know or care about it. Got a Tikka 91/30, antique Tula m91 and a m28/30 all on the cheap with those "Russian Rifle" adds. More please!
    This^^

    My M28/30 was a $100 "Russian Nagant". I didn't bother to correct the shop that sold it.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoots High View Post
    7.62x54. I sat down at my computer this morning rather bored, and decided to check the on-line version of our local shopper. This publication has a column for sporting firearms, and that's the section I went to peruse. On the top of the list was an ad for a Mosin Nagant rifle in 7.62x54 cal. Well, nothing ventured as they say, so I made the call at about 9 a.m. I asked the man who answered to describe the rifle to me, and he seemed just unable to get beyond the description in his ad, so I began asking questions. Does it have a folding bayonet? No. Does it have a ring around the front sight? No. Look, it's one of those Russian rifles, what more can I say. Is the front sight a blade? Yes. Now we're getting somewhere. What is the stamp on the barrel shank? Huh, what do you mean? Look at the top of the barrel just behind the rear sight. What do you see? There's a SA in a box. My mind is thinking a Finned 91/30 or maybe a Finn M91. Well, it's time to go see what he has.

    I entered the man's house an hour later, and he handed me a VKT M39. 75 percent blue left on it, Very nice bore. Good solid wartime stock. 1942 date. $150 firm.

    The bore was dirty, but has cleaned up to real nice. I already have a couple M39's, but for 150$ why not have another?

    Im calling the mosin police... you stole that rifle! Congrats on a wonderful find. Pays to check the local shopper for sure.

  13. #12

    Default

    You dog! You ought to be arrested, getting a nice VKT for 150 bucks. Damn.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South of DC
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Shoots, its been three days and still no pics. I know you are not a liar, right???
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

    This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    "There's No Place Like Home"
    Posts
    3,558

    Default

    Wow! I'd of bought that, I'm looking for another M39, and that price would have been too perfect!!! I got rid of all mine, and kind of want one back again haha. Great find! It pays to follow up like that! Congrats!
    MOSIN PRIME!

    Always looking for interesting Imperial Mosins! Antique M91s, 91/38s and Imperial dated Nagant revolvers. PM me if you may have one you may be looking to trade/sell.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Posts
    449

    Default

    My wallet would have whiplash, fantastic score for $150, also interested in pics I have a '42 VKT that's one of my favorite rifles.
    Looking for PU Scope A33256

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •