Finnish 1945 Sako M39

Thread: Finnish 1945 Sako M39

Default Finnish 1945 Sako M39

I love the GunBoards site and wanted to share my last outing. The pic of the 2 targets are of my Colt M4 2016 with ACOG scope..... and compared to the iron site target of the 1945 M39 , both from 100 yards. About the exact same size groups. I'm no pro, so with iron sights on the M39 it is a great day for me. Thanks for your feedback and for looking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160623_220500.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	355.2 KB 
ID:	2301458

Name:	20161105_190012.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	351.5 KB 
ID:	2301466

Name:	20170102_162426.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	423.0 KB 
ID:	2301474

Name:	20170409_165321.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	418.3 KB 
ID:	2301482

Name:	20170611_220615.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	2301506
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170603_184126.jpg  

20170603_184110.jpg  

Last edited by 13 Colony Patriot; 06-21-2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: pics did not come thru 1st time. sorry

Pics aren't showing up.

Unusual request I would imagine, I apologize, but I am new to Forum, and want to make sure my pics are showing. If anyone doesn't mind, please confirm my pics are coming through that I posted??? Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

FYI...Pictures are showing up on my computer...
    Last edited by snuffy1a; 06-15-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: corrected typing error

Nice wood on that one.

Welcome to the forum.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

I see the photos from my iPad. Nice shooting, and nicer m39!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your groups should be WAY tighter at 100 yds on an M39. How often do you check the action screws while firing?
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

Default 1945 Sako M39

Quote Originally Posted by VA-Vet View Post
    Your groups should be WAY tighter at 100 yds on an M39. How often do you check the action screws while firing?
    I thank everyone for the welcome and letting me know the pics came thru.
    Just being honest...I have not checked the action screws, I certainly will. I shoot off a sand bag so I'm not locked in a sled or anything. I thought that was a pretty good. I guess I was wrong, but thanks for the heads up. I use Wolf Steel case 203 gr SP as you can see. Do you think that is descent for that ammo? Also at 100 yards the FSP covers the bullseye, so not sure how to tighten up when I cant see any belter??? Any ideas? Thanks again to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 Colony Patriot View Post
    I thank everyone for the welcome and letting me know the pics came thru.
    Just being honest...I have not checked the action screws, I certainly will. I shoot off a sand bag so I'm not locked in a sled or anything. I thought that was a pretty good. I guess I was wrong, but thanks for the heads up. I use Wolf Steel case 203 gr SP as you can see. Do you think that is descent for that ammo? Also at 100 yards the FSP covers the bullseye, so not sure how to tighten up when I cant see any belter??? Any ideas? Thanks again to all of you.
    Try re adjusting your point of aim to a 6 o'clock hold, that way you can see the bull's-eye while aiming with better consistency.

45 date M 39 and a looker to boot! As others have stated nice rifle. Thanks for sharing.

Great looking '39 my man! Wood is a winner for sure. A 6 o'clock hold will shrink your groups if you do your part well. But your groups are minute of zombie or bad things any day. Check the action screws as others have stated and try again. Get a box of another brand of ammo and try again. Place the sandbag right in front of the receiver and try again. I think trigger control and practice will win the day. Again, that wood is just gorgeous!! A little envious here.

Default Finnish 1945 Sako M39

Quote Originally Posted by Highrider View Post
    Great looking '39 my man! Wood is a winner for sure. A 6 o'clock hold will shrink your groups if you do your part well. But your groups are minute of zombie or bad things any day. Check the action screws as others have stated and try again. Get a box of another brand of ammo and try again. Place the sandbag right in front of the receiver and try again. I think trigger control and practice will win the day. Again, that wood is just gorgeous!! A little envious here.
    Thank you sir for the compliments and advice. I am excited to put to info to use and repost my results!!

I had a nice 1945 M39 many years ago and foolishly traded it away. Recently one became available to me again and I grabbed it. I took the 2 new rifles (I grabbed a 1941 straight stock at the same time) to the range the day after Christmas and with the 1945 at 300 yards off the bench shot better than I ever shot in my life. I nailed 7 clay pigeons out of 10 shots with older Albanian surplus using them old iron sights on the M39. My current 1945 doesn't look half as pretty as that one to my 73 year old eyes but she sure shoots well! I don't think I ever check the action screws unless I am tearing the rifle all the way down. Constantly tightening metal on a wood stock only has one major effect, it drives the metal down into the wood farther and farther. Only secret I have for you is practice good shooting habits and learn from a pro what they are. As far as I know there are very few of us on here who are pro's and many of us who think we are. When I spent some time and money with a pro teacher I only learned the myriad of bad shooting habits I have and I still struggle to try and over come them. Like they say even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile and that is how I describe my good day at the range. Like as not will never happen again but I got at least one day I can enjoy thinking about. Nice rifle you have! Go enjoy shooting it! Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    I had a nice 1945 M39 many years ago and foolishly traded it away. Recently one became available to me again and I grabbed it. I took the 2 new rifles (I grabbed a 1941 straight stock at the same time) to the range the day after Christmas and with the 1945 at 300 yards off the bench shot better than I ever shot in my life. I nailed 7 clay pigeons out of 10 shots with older Albanian surplus using them old iron sights on the M39. My current 1945 doesn't look half as pretty as that one to my 73 year old eyes but she sure shoots well! I don't think I ever check the action screws unless I am tearing the rifle all the way down. Constantly tightening metal on a wood stock only has one major effect, it drives the metal down into the wood farther and farther. Only secret I have for you is practice good shooting habits and learn from a pro what they are. As far as I know there are very few of us on here who are pro's and many of us who think we are. When I spent some time and money with a pro teacher I only learned the myriad of bad shooting habits I have and I still struggle to try and over come them. Like they say even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile and that is how I describe my good day at the range. Like as not will never happen again but I got at least one day I can enjoy thinking about. Nice rifle you have! Go enjoy shooting it! Bill
    Bill that's a great day at the range you had; and excellent advice for me. I am no pro, but sure will see about spending some time with some that can point out anything I need to improve on. I thank you sir for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Highrider View Post
    Highrider I just wanted to thank you. I shot yesterday with this 45 Sako, and used a six o'clock hold, and moved the sand bag forward, too. I made some adjustments after changing my sight picture, but it sure WORKED, and gave me more control over consistency and tighter groups. I checked my action screws, and they were solid, so no issues there. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 Colony Patriot View Post
    Highrider I just wanted to thank you. I shot yesterday with this 45 Sako, and used a six o'clock hold, and moved the sand bag forward, too. I made some adjustments after changing my sight picture, but it sure WORKED, and gave me more control over consistency and tighter groups. I checked my action screws, and they were solid, so no issues there. Thanks again.
    Post pics or it didn't happen and you are a liar!!! (just a friendly way to say "we need gun pics for our addiction", no harm/hurt implied!)
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    You are right about recreating good days, sadly many are of the, "you can't go home again" variety. Years ago I built a cap lock Kentucky pistol for daughter. Son-in-law first day out was consistently busting clays at one hundred yards with it. He has never been able to hit even one since.

Quote Originally Posted by VA-Vet View Post
    Post pics or it didn't happen and you are a liar!!! (just a friendly way to say "we need gun pics for our addiction", no harm/hurt implied!)
    Ask and you shall receive...Please see new post...."Take 2- 1945 Sako M39".... for pics!!