Finnish Captured M44 Collection is Complete.

Thread: Finnish Captured M44 Collection is Complete.

Default Finnish Captured M44 Collection is Complete.

One of the easier collections to complete as there are only two rifles to find. Well, three if a 1944 SA Tula exists (stranger Mosin's are out there)...

The 1943 dated example is interesting because although it is only D marked, it has a Finn-matched bolt and is counter-bored, which I have never seen on another Finnish captured carbine. From my understanding, they (captured carbines) were not extensively overhauled.

The 1944 dated example is all matching except for the bolt. It also happens to be SA marked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4863.jpg  

IMG_4864.jpg  

IMG_4865.jpg  

IMG_4866.jpg  

IMG_4867.jpg  

IMG_4868.jpg  

IMG_4869.jpg  

IMG_4870.jpg  

IMG_4873.jpg  

IMG_4874.jpg  

IMG_4875.jpg  

IMG_4876.jpg  

Nice collection. Beyond the Finn angle, it's not that common to see wartime M44s in that original of condition.

Sweet pair! Those are not something you see everyday.
    "You mean to say you don't know me? I'm Antti Rokka. A farmer from the Isthmus. At the moment I sell bullets."

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Why does one of them have a post-war bayonet latch?

Original bayonet may have been removed by previous owner.

WOW!!!!!! Owning just one Finnish carbine I appreciate just how difficult that take is.

Rare, rare, rare! I watched the M44 auction with a tad bit of envy....

Pahtu.
    Last edited by Pahtu; 06-18-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Nice going with the [SA] M44's. I've had only visions of starting that collection.
    Now I'm going to have to clean that rifle!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    Rare, rare, rare! I watched the M44 auction with a tab bit of envy....

Pahtu.
    Does anyone have the auction link? Please post if you do.

Thanks.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Does anyone have the auction link? Please post if you do.

Thanks.
    Here ya go!

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/646808008
    Currently In Search Of: Rare/Interesting/Oddball Finnish (or Finn'd Russian) M/91s and M/91-24s.

In Honor and Memory of a Loving and Devoted Wife

I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free. His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches me.

Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Very interesting. I have never read of M44 Mosins being marked SA. I wonder if these still met the accuracy requirements of Finnish made rifles, before getting the SA stamp.

First time seeing one. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by LottaMosins View Post
    Thanks for the link!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Excellent addition and collection for two of the harder to get Finns....very, very nice. The 44 went for less then I thought it would...I think you got a decent deal there for sure. FWIW and if I recall, my 44 M44 has a Finn matched bolt I have to dig it out to be 100% sure.

very nice ABT, thanks for pictures.
    "Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession."

-George Washington 1732-1799

Glad you got them. I was bidding but couldn't have gone that high.

Sweet! I really like the non-refurbished, IMHO, great condition of these as well, just enough been there, done that. Very nice set of M44s. Shame somebody removed the original bayonet on the '43 but that's an easy enough fix if one so desired. Thanks for sharing these.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanhufstutler View Post
    Sweet! I really like the non-refurbished, IMHO, great condition of these as well, just enough been there, done that. Very nice set of M44s. Shame somebody removed the original bayonet on the '43 but that's an easy enough fix if one so desired. Thanks for sharing these.
    The Finns are reported to have removed the folding bayonets on some of the M44 carbines. I have one '43 dated example without a bayonet and two (or possibly three, I can't remember) examples with bayonets still affixed.

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Finn Collector View Post
    I think you got a decent deal there for sure.
    I agree, it was a bargain for what it is.

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    The Finns are reported to have removed the folding bayonets on some of the M44 carbines. I have one '43 dated example without a bayonet and two (or possibly three, I can't remember) examples with bayonets still affixed.
    Thanks Richard, I had no idea of that, this is the place to learn. I always assumed any M44, SKS, etc. without one suffered a needless removal due to useless fed. reg. or personal preference by PO at some point. Still makes a bargaining point in a pawn shop but I will check into the possibility that they came here that way and the possible reasons in the future before I "fix" one.

Nice one, Matt! One of the rarest and the last Finn capture Soviet rifles you can find! Very few opportunities for the Finns to get this - it is almost certain it was acquired in the final battles of June-August 1944. I thought it went for less than it was worth so you got a good buy also.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantafireman View Post
    Very interesting. I have never read of M44 Mosins being marked SA. I wonder if these still met the accuracy requirements of Finnish made rifles, before getting the SA stamp.
    If you go to Mosinnagant.net you can read about them - but there weren't very many - perhaps a couple hundred M44s that were lumped in with M38s. The Finns made sure they were functional and then put them away in storage - but not for long - most came to the USA in the 1958-1960 period.

Those are sweet Matt! Just one is a find in it's self; but finding two is a feat.
    "Always bring a hammer to a stick fight."-nassaulakes

"I would gladly trade you all my charlston chews for all of your .22"
    - mat!_SW

Quote Originally Posted by sparky236 View Post
    Nice one, Matt! One of the rarest and the last Finn capture Soviet rifles you can find! Very few opportunities for the Finns to get this - it is almost certain it was acquired in the final battles of June-August 1944. I thought it went for less than it was worth so you got a good buy also.
    Thanks Dave! Would be interesting to start a survey and see the serial number blocks for each year that were captured by the Finns.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn Collector View Post
    Excellent addition and collection for two of the harder to get Finns....very, very nice. The 44 went for less then I thought it would...I think you got a decent deal there for sure. FWIW and if I recall, my 44 M44 has a Finn matched bolt I have to dig it out to be 100% sure.
    I thought I would pay more than I did honestly. Interesting that your 44 has a Finn matched bolt like my 43. Would love to see a picture if you have the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsky View Post
    Nice going with the [SA] M44's. I've had only visions of starting that collection.
    Thanks, Al. I'll bring them up to visit later this summer!

Absolutely beautiful. I don't even have one and here you post two! I shall have to double my efforts to find one.
    Jack of all milsurps, master of none.