Extremely sticky bolt

Thread: Extremely sticky bolt

Default Extremely sticky bolt

I've got an m39 the bolt is extremely sticky after dry firing however and can be almost impossible to cycle at times on the rotation portion of the bolt. I have thoroughly cleaned both it and the gun removing all cosmoline as well as lubricating all the moving portions of the bolt. None of my other mosin bolts fit and I've tried switching out various pieces from the main spring to the cocking knob with no success. The best I can tell it seems to be getting hung up on some part of the cocking piece but the only consistent wear marks I can find are on the bottom of the bolt as pictured, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Porter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm thinking the ejector may not move freely or the tang screw may not seat deep enough.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Mosin Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by willyj73 View Post
    I'm thinking the ejector may not move freely or the tang screw may not seat deep enough.

The ejector moves VERY freely, in fact it is extremely easy to just slide right out of the bolt, what do you mean by the tang screw?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Willyj73: is that the screw that goes in the bottom of the magazine on the underside of the rifle?

It's the screw at the end of the receiver that goes into the stock.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    It's the screw at the end of the receiver that goes into the stock.
    Ok, thanks curly1

I have a mosin in this condition and I'm looking more at the trigger parts. I would remove the tang screw, see if that resolves issue, if not, destock and remove the trigger parts. All you are looking for is smooth bolt operation. Narrow the problem down a bit more.

In my case, I've removed the bolt being an issue as it works just fine in other mosins. Have you tried that bolt in other mosins for smooth operation?
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

Quote Originally Posted by VA-Vet View Post
    I have a mosin in this condition and I'm looking more at the trigger parts. I would remove the tang screw, see if that resolves issue, if not, destock and remove the trigger parts. All you are looking for is smooth bolt operation. Narrow the problem down a bit more.

In my case, I've removed the bolt being an issue as it works just fine in other mosins. Have you tried that bolt in other mosins for smooth operation?
    I will remove the tang screw and see what happens when I get off of work. Ive tried the Finn bolt in a few of my Russian mosins and the sticky Ness is much worse in them one almost got completely stuck

Just a wild guess, but have you checked the ejector?

I had a Mosin-Nagant rifle with a similar problem. The rifle had mismatched bolt and the ejector in it was slightly too long. It was touching (or scratching) the end of the barrel. It took me a long time to understand the problem. Fixing it was easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the bolt matches but I'll take the ejector out and see what happens the ejector is very very loose if that means anything

"mismatched bolt and the ejector in it"

Attached to the side of the bolt head is the extractor.......The ejector is screwed down onto the side of the receiver. We do know what you mean though.

Oops, sorry, I misread that

Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    "mismatched bolt and the ejector in it"

Attached to the side of the bolt head is the extractor.......The ejector is screwed down onto the side of the receiver. We do know what you mean though.
    Sorry and yes, You are correct. I mean the little metal thing, that pulls the case out of the chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pkslice,

I also have a Mosin I bought with a slightly bent connector bar. This was showing up as an issue when trying to close the bolt. You might try using a known good connector bar and bolt head and seeing if this improves bolt operation. To resolve this particular bolt issue I had to get a new connector bar.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

Quote Originally Posted by VA-Vet View Post
    pkslice,

I also have a Mosin I bought with a slightly bent connector bar. This was showing up as an issue when trying to close the bolt. You might try using a known good connector bar and bolt head and seeing if this improves bolt operation. To resolve this particular bolt issue I had to get a new connector bar.
    Unfortunately the only bolt head that seems to work with m39 is the one that came with it, none of my other bolt heads will fit. However when I try the complete Finn bolt in one if my Russian mosins it's even harder to get open than it was on the Finn, I'm going to do some experimentation with the suggestions above and see what I come up with. Thanks for all the help so far guys

Just to be sure, you don't have the bolt assembled correctly in the first photo. I assumed you knew this, and that the parts were loose only in the photo--but they were assembled correctly when you tried the bolt in a rifle.

Mosin Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by willyj73 View Post
    Just to be sure, you don't have the bolt assembled correctly in the first photo. I assumed you knew this, and that the parts were loose only in the photo--but they were assembled correctly when you tried the bolt in a rifle.

Yes, I knew this I did this to show you guys the wear marks that I was referring to.

Thanks, Porter

It might just be the pics, but that connector bar doesn't look straight.

- Pcan