Gunboards Forums banner

"Cowboy Companion" Chinese SKS -- What is it worth?

22K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Fatherandersonthepaladin 
#1 ·
I searched the auction sites, but could not find an estimated value for this rifle:

Chinese SKS "Cowboy Companion" short barrel carbine model complete with the side-rail mount AND the correct Chinese 4x scope that slides on. Bayonet lug is still intact with the short spike bayonet installed. All original, very good condition with matching #'s and an excellent bore.

What is the fair market value or estimated price range for this type of rifle?

#2 ·
I traded for mine, but at the time I figured it to be worth around 4 bills to an SKS aficionado, likely worth nothing to a military collector. Just my best guess, so few are found with the scope, I would imagine pricing to be all over the place.

After 11/4/08, who knows what it is worth?

SlimTim

#3 · (Edited)
There were several types of mounts and scopes for those Navy Arms rifles. Type 89 that resembled a G43 lever type mount or a thumbscrew type. A 2.75X18 scope (top pic) or a 4X20 scope or a 1.5 to 5 variable (bottom in 1st pic) and a larger scope mounted forward a bit more. Depends on these factors. To the right buyer... depending on the accessories..., $400 - $550.

Mount types:

#6 · (Edited)
Here is a scan of a Navy arms catalog showing their SKS rifles including the "cowboy's companion".

I would venture a value of around $400.00 if it has the large screw retainer. If it has the "G43" type mount I would add at least $100

Also a close up of the "G43" type mount with scope.

#8 ·
This is a bit off topic I know, but do any of yall know where I would be able to come by a militarily correct scope and some mounts for a norinco SKS? I have a crappy ultralux on it right now that I need to get rid of, so I figured I'd ask yall if you've ever seen any good ones and which ones you recommend.

#11 ·
The mounts and scopes are scarce./ Check Ebay frequently for the items being sold. The Red Star type 4X20 scopes can be found. The eye cups I think are sold by Numrich. Mounts will run $$. Thumbscrew type mounts in the $150 range and the type 89 may run $200 + without scope. But you get lucky sometimes. Keep your eye open at Gun Shows too.
No commercial/retail source AFAIK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.