Rarity of VZ 24's with good clean barrels?

Thread: Rarity of VZ 24's with good clean barrels?

Default Rarity of VZ 24's with good clean barrels?

Hey guys, how rare is it to find vz 24's with really nice barrels? I guess I should say, really nice barrels and in the $200-$400 ball park. I've found one but the stock is horrible. They want $300 plus tax but the stock is so nasty that I don't know if I should pop on it or pass. I've seen 4 total on the second hand market where I live. 2 had counter bored barrels that were bleh, one was beautiful, but looked to be refinished and the barrel didn't look right. The lands were different than any other vz 24 I'd ever seen. And now this one.

Vz 24 with an excellent bore? Hah, such a creature does not exist!

In all seriousness, I've never seen one. Every one I've ever seen in person has been a sewer pipe. Which is why I don't own one. I'd spend the $300 (but of course talk them down), then find one with a better stock later & swap, or hold out until just a stock comes up for sale. I guess I should ask if it still has the Lion... If yes, in a heartbeat.
    Better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it...

"The politics of failure have failed!" -Kang

I have one with a somewhat shiny bore and no lion. I'm not schooled on Czech 24's but the one I have has wider lands in the bore than my Yugo and German Mausers have. Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Bill

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterDog View Post

In all seriousness, I've never seen one. Every one I've ever seen in person has been a sewer pipe. Which is why I don't own one. I'd spend the $300 (but of course talk them down), then find one with a better stock later & swap, or hold out until just a stock comes up for sale. I guess I should ask if it still has the Lion... If yes, in a heartbeat.
    No, it does not have a lion. It has a completely scrubbed receiver. Otherwise, like you said, I think it'd be home with me right now.

I am no expert in any sense of the word. So all I can speak from is the 4 examples I have come across. And out of those 4 only one had the wide looking lands. The rest of the rifle looked refurbished so I assumed that it was a replacement barrel from some other type of Mauser. I most certainly could be wrong though. One way to check would be to take the action out of the stock and look for markings that may give you more clues.

Let me know if you hear from an expert that says this is consistent with vz 24's. I'd really like to know myself.

The wide lands was a feature of some Czech models. Don't know the history of it but it is original Czech. I have several 24's with good bores most are little used exports. What you are talking about (scrubbed) are most likely Romanian, rode hard & put away wet!

Olson says some VZ-24 were made with wide lands but most had narrow lands. I think my Persian carbine has the wide also.

I sold one to a member (?) here that had a very nice bore.
    (chime in if you read this...I've forgotten your name.)

My Romanian "Instructie" Vz-24 Has probably a 2 inch counter bore, still filthy and dark but has pronounced grooves in the barrel. I had a "RR" Prefix Romanian Vz-24 That had a very nice bore, It's very random with these from what i've seen. They can go anywhere from used and abused to pretty nice, But i'm pretty sure if it's a Romanian Vz-24 it will probably have hard use on it.
    Attachment 2303930

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Sick_MMA View Post
    Hey guys, how rare is it to find vz 24's with really nice barrels? I guess I should say, really nice barrels and in the $200-$400 ball park. I've found one but the stock is horrible. They want $300 plus tax but the stock is so nasty that I don't know if I should pop on it or pass. I've seen 4 total on the second hand market where I live. 2 had counter bored barrels that were bleh, one was beautiful, but looked to be refinished and the barrel didn't look right. The lands were different than any other vz 24 I'd ever seen. And now this one.
    Imported 8mm Vz-24s, mainly from Romania, have been rode hard and put away wet. Bring-back VZ-24s, ala those with German use trait, have excellent bores.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterDog View Post

The only VZ24 I currently own is an ex-SCW rifle (Arched receiver text, stippled ELion35, and M3 serial number suffix) with no import marks. I have owned it for well over 30 years.

The bore on this rifle is shiny and the lands look to be quite sharp. No visible throat erosion. The barrel looks to be original to the rifle, but I haven't had it apart recently to confirm this. It also does not eat a bullet at the muzzle when trying a bullet test.

It also shoots quite well, but I don't take her out anymore because the ^$#%&$ wrist swivel keeps popping me in the mouth hard when I shoot it.

The other VZ24 I had was also an ex-SCW but its bore, while still shiny, was not quite as sharp as this one.

With its SCW history I can't explain the condition but it is what it is.

So, YES. There are SOME VZ24's out there with good bores.

no problem to get vz.24 with good bore here in CZ, but they are not as cheap as they were few years back. mine vz.24 have good/excellent barrel and i picked it from 30+ vz 24 rifles in practicaly same condition.

pristine bores are uncommon. stock sets are easy to find.
    gil

Quote Originally Posted by gil View Post
    pristine bores are uncommon. stock sets are easy to find.
    gil
    Darn you Gil, you may have just cost me $350.00! LOL