SKY 1943 with a 1942 Stock

Thread: SKY 1943 with a 1942 Stock

Default SKY 1943 with a 1942 Stock

I have looked on the forum and didn't see a thread for this exact topic.
    I am looking at getting a early serial number 1943 SKY, yet it has a 1942 stock.
    Is this normal, meaning the Finns would have done this? Or does it mean the gun is likely not right, and has a lot less value?? The seller says it is original, and not that uncommon for the SKY stocks to have sometimes been like this because the Finns wasted nothing.
    Please advise??
    Thanks

I think it should be in a Sako stock. It would probably be normal to find it in a different year stock. Someone one with more knowledge can give you a clearer answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jd428jd View Post
    I think it should be in a Sako stock. It would probably be normal to find it in a different year stock. Someone one with more knowledge can give you a clearer answer.

Thanks for your purchase as I am the seller. Interesting that this is being discussed after the buy it now but just beware of some of the advice you get here - listen to long time members to help you feel better about your purchase as my assurances after the fact don't seem to be enough - regular SAKO stamped stocks were not standard for SkY M39s, nor were Sako gear wheel stocks with dates made for M39s.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Someone pass the popcorn this could get good.

Calif, land run by liberals, and illegal immigrants

wink2 Sako SKY M39

My '43 SKY is also in a '42 stock. Nice bore, great trigger, very accurate. What's not to like?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SKY 018.jpg  

SKY 016.jpg  

SKY 008 (2).jpg  

Last edited by capnduane; 06-16-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Personally I would feel better about a 43 SkY in a 42 SkY stock than in a Sako gear wheel stock. And I would also feel that much better about a 43 SkY in a 43 SkY stock. I was just reading up on this using Google to bring up older threads the other day. But I would add that those are just my personal preferences on it and others will disagree. Without photos and knowing what you paid I would still say it is a nice addition.

Not uncommon at all with Sk.Y M39s.

The date on the stock was when the stock was made or accepted - nothing to do with the date on the barrel shank of the rifle. Most Sk.Y 1944 M39s will have a 1943 dated stock - simple reason being they didn't make any Sk.Y stocks in 1944 as there were enough on hand.

OP, You do know M39s are mix masters, right?????
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

Quote Originally Posted by sparky236 View Post
    Thanks for your purchase as I am the seller. Interesting that this is being discussed after the buy it now but just beware of some of the advice you get here - listen to long time members to help you feel better about your purchase as my assurances after the fact don't seem to be enough - regular SAKO stamped stocks were not standard for SkY M39s, nor were Sako gear wheel stocks with dates made for M39s.
    Not sure if you intended this message for me or the buyer. However I will respond, I qualified my statement by saying that someone with more knowledge would be along. Also I did not mean that it should be in a SAKO gear wheel stock but a SAKO made SKY stock since it is a SKY rifle. My statement was not intended to diminish the rifle you sold only to offer my limited knowledge and opinion that it was an ok purchase. I guess I could have made it clear that I meant a SAKO made SKY marked stock and not a SAKO gear marked stock but I made the comment quickly to add the discussion. In the future I will be sure to proof and reference my statements as to not anger the long time members.

I've had a nice discussion with the buyer and all is good now and I hope he remains an interested part of the Finn collecting community. We all know how addicting this can be.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky236 View Post
    I've had a nice discussion with the buyer and all is good now and I hope he remains an interested part of the Finn collecting community. We all know how addicting this can be.
    Sparky is a true gentleman and I am honored to have obtained such a fine Finnish Treasure from him...I publicly apologize to him for offending him if I did..it was my mistake, not his, and I am glad to be learning from fine folks like Sparky on this Forum. Thanks

I had the same concern when I bought my mixed date SkY from the infamous WGA outfit about 10 years back.

The subject came up in a thread here a few years later. I was not alone. Since the SkY contract was completely different than Army SAKO contracts, this seemed to be isolated to the Civil Guard.

No worries :D

Enjoy your newly found Finn addiction.
    Now officially collecting Mosin M38s!

Very little in this life is cast in concrete. Facts are often confused with perceptions and perceptions are often confused by facts. Sorry it is the way it is and you can be mad if you want but the world is very seldom concrete in how things are. In other words there are discrepancies such Sk.Y stocks having matching years stamped on M39 stocks. As mentioned above 1944 Sk.Y M39s usually have 1943 dated stocks and they are probably correct and original. Doesn't confirm diddly squat but that is the way it is? There have been confirmed cases when early 1943 Sk.Y rifles did indeed have 1942 dated stocks. Usually on early 1943 Sk.Y m39s. I think more or less, this is accepted in most circles. I can understand the concern but just clarifying the gospel according to John {me}.

As far as offending people. You will {OP} will have to get in line. One of my favorite M27s is a fairly common 1932 I bought from Vic who is very knowledgeable and we all owe him a lot of what is known about the Finn rifles. He and a few others are much responsible for creating this web sight many years ago when the internet was in its infancy. I made a first class fool out of myself with a belly flop intro to the boards here complaining about this rifle I bought from Vic. When in fact there was nothing wrong with it, the deal went almost flawlessly except for me having a bad hair day. After I learned a little about Finn rifle collecting I realized what a nice original example I had got. Sparky is right up there in knowledge and I know personally of his integrity and have dealt with him a number of times. So while you may go away learning something from this, know you are not first in line for sticking your foot in your mouth. I blazed the way for you. While this can be a embarrassing moment, learn from it and all will be well. Some of us can admit to being human and some cannot. I think all is well here now. Funny for all the guilt I have carried, I have let a lot of it go, but my intro to the boards many years ago still haunts me. And that fairly common 1932 is just all around wonderful in all areas of collecting and condition. Go figure aye? Regards, John.

Default SKY 1943 with a 1942 Stock

Hey Sparky I should add that I don't mind clearing things up when it comes to stuff like this. Glad you guys worked things out. I'll take all the knowledge I can get especially when it's a hobby that can get so addictive/expensive real quick. I appreciate any info I can get and although I was having a bit of fun with it I think you are right to want accurate information out there.

First - just to set the base foundation - as far as sparky goes, I will never hesitate dealing with him, and he's not going to screw you over - EVER.

That having been said - spending more than $1k on something you don't feel sure what is ...wow
    As far as 43 in a 42 stock. I've had 2. All the 5 1944 I've had were in 43 stocks. Nothing too unusual that stocks are "mismatched"

So for the future - seek advice here and other places, then spend you hard earned cash on the stuff you are looking for
    "Ole viisaasti höperö!" sanoi vääpeli Ryhmy
    Commissar Natalia Vengrovska Fan Club Life Member :-)
    Tired of the Police ? Try calling a Crackhead next time you need help
    ALWAYS looking for anything from Sortavala and Viipuri CG districts
    Looking for Norwegian Mauser K98F1 HÆR 43408 - the first military rifle I was issued

When questions and conflicts exist on long distance transactions, it's always best to get on the phone and talk. I am a "let's make a deal" kind of guy from my lifetime career in small business. I like people to be happy in their dealings with me.

I recall one deal where the buyer had some condition concerns on a WW2 barrel. He reamed me a new one via e-mail and during the first minute of our phone conversation.

After I let him vent, I said that when I called I was prepared to offer him a refund of x dollars. My offer was more than he had in mind, so of course he happily accepted. We probably chatted for 30 more minutes about milsurps and departed on excellent terms.

The Mosin collector circle is not that large but extremely friendly and helpful. The Finn people even more so.

On the subject of collective knowledge, I have a certain level of expertise on M38s. I still can raise the hackles of people here on several aspects such as stocks and transitional examples.

Vic and Ted have wonderful web pages on this niche area and I owe all of my early knowledge to them.

If the 3 of us got together with the other M38 nuts with a few hundred choice carbines, we could rewrite the book on this model. This will not happen of course so we just come out of the woodwork when the opportunity presents itself.

Finns are much more complex a subject especially when it comes to what left the arsenals.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 Colony Patriot View Post
    Sparky is a true gentleman and I am honored to have obtained such a fine Finnish Treasure from him...I publicly apologize to him for offending him if I did..it was my mistake, not his, and I am glad to be learning from fine folks like Sparky on this Forum. Thanks
    I've been watching all of these sales. They're out of my price range now, but I'd buy from Sparky's collection in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Devil View Post
    Very little in this life is cast in concrete. Facts are often confused with perceptions and perceptions are often confused by facts. Sorry it is the way it is and you can be mad if you want but the world is very seldom concrete in how things are. In other words there are discrepancies such Sk.Y stocks having matching years stamped on M39 stocks. As mentioned above 1944 Sk.Y M39s usually have 1943 dated stocks and they are probably correct and original. Doesn't confirm diddly squat but that is the way it is? There have been confirmed cases when early 1943 Sk.Y rifles did indeed have 1942 dated stocks. Usually on early 1943 Sk.Y m39s. I think more or less, this is accepted in most circles. I can understand the concern but just clarifying the gospel according to John {me}.

As far as offending people. You will {OP} will have to get in line. One of my favorite M27s is a fairly common 1932 I bought from Vic who is very knowledgeable and we all owe him a lot of what is known about the Finn rifles. He and a few others are much responsible for creating this web sight many years ago when the internet was in its infancy. I made a first class fool out of myself with a belly flop intro to the boards here complaining about this rifle I bought from Vic. When in fact there was nothing wrong with it, the deal went almost flawlessly except for me having a bad hair day. After I learned a little about Finn rifle collecting I realized what a nice original example I had got. Sparky is right up there in knowledge and I know personally of his integrity and have dealt with him a number of times. So while you may go away learning something from this, know you are not first in line for sticking your foot in your mouth. I blazed the way for you. While this can be a embarrassing moment, learn from it and all will be well. Some of us can admit to being human and some cannot. I think all is well here now. Funny for all the guilt I have carried, I have let a lot of it go, but my intro to the boards many years ago still haunts me. And that fairly common 1932 is just all around wonderful in all areas of collecting and condition. Go figure aye? Regards, John.
    John, great story, and I thank you sir. Its nice to hear I'm not the only man to have ever acted in haste...and had to eat Crow and apologize humbly. I have learned a lot from Sparky in the last couple days. I am grateful to have corresponded with him. I thank all of you for the knowledge and feedback.

Wow this brings back memories of some of my first posts so many years ago!!!!! The only thing smart I did back them was wait about 5 years before I made my first post and even then my foot was so down my throat I think I got athletes foot on my stomach. All I'll say is you got to start somewhere and after I learned to post my learning curve went way up. Don't sweat the small stuff and its all small by the way. Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 Colony Patriot View Post
    John, great story, and I thank you sir. Its nice to hear I'm not the only man to have ever acted in haste...and had to eat Crow and apologize humbly. I have learned a lot from Sparky in the last couple days. I am grateful to have corresponded with him. I thank all of you for the knowledge and feedback.
    I think we all have had a slice of (or sometimes the whole)humble pie. I still do from time to time - and if nothing else, it's a good "attentiongetter" and reminder that I was a noob (and sometime with dumb in front of noob)
    The reminder that we will never know all is a good lesson
    "Ole viisaasti höperö!" sanoi vääpeli Ryhmy
    Commissar Natalia Vengrovska Fan Club Life Member :-)
    Tired of the Police ? Try calling a Crackhead next time you need help
    ALWAYS looking for anything from Sortavala and Viipuri CG districts
    Looking for Norwegian Mauser K98F1 HÆR 43408 - the first military rifle I was issued