Best/safest way to dispose of loaded ammo?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best/safest way to dispose of loaded ammo?

Default Best/safest way to dispose of loaded ammo?

I have 1100 rounds of .40 S&W reloads some of which (probably only a few) have double charges. What is the best way to dispose of them?
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.
    [Points to sword] But this....this you can trust!"

Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Why not just offer it for sale cheap,having the buyer sign a statement that he understands it is for component use only and is dangerous to fire.
    Then using a Sharpie mark the case bottoms with a cross or X to prevent confusion.

Penmon - I appreciate your reply but feel that would put me in line for a lawsuit if the buyer was injured shooting it. Statements be damned, all he would need is a cheap lawyer!
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Break one down, check for correct charge and weigh components on a digital scale. Weigh each round on the scale. While there may be a very slight variance in case weight, a double charge would be obvious.
    This post contains the Amish virus. Since the Amish have no electricity or computers, you are on the honor system. Please delete all your files. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Krag View Post
    Penmon - I appreciate your reply but feel that would put me in line for a lawsuit if the buyer was injured shooting it. Statements be damned, all he would need is a cheap lawyer!
    You are wise not to unleash a potentially harmful product onto the market (a simple waiver offers little real protection to a seller) but it seems a shame to "dispose" of 1100 rounds of good components. Inertia bullet puller and a couple of hours will solve your problem.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

I was thinking along those lines as well, hence the release and markings, could you not just weigh each round, with a good digital scale you should be able to easily ID the double charges. This of course assumes the cases and bullets are the same. Then only pull the suspect ones.

You could also pull a small amount per day. Then give or sell the components in batches of 100 or 200's.

Pull them apart, sell them whole and let the buyer pull them down or cook them off in a burn barrel and lastly do what man has done since the dawn of time with things he wishes to make disappear, make them sleep with the fishes in some reasonably deep water.

THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF BEING PENNY WISE AND POUND FOOLISH.
    all my pistol loads are loaded at 60/90% case fill.
    there is no way to double charge..the bullet will not go in.
    very cheap insurance.

Krag,

Set them aside, and on a few winter lousy days, use Kinetic puller and salvage bullets and brass. PITA but it solves the problem. Any other type of press mounted puller will mar up those rounds but of these, I found the Hornady model effective and much faster than Kinetic puller. To release these bullets in any form out of your hands is, as you noted, a half wonderful idea.

Of course the local river offers a quick solution, or the ocean, or down a old well

Wombat - I asked an engineer at a major ammunition company about this and he said is was a "very poor and unsafe" way to judge if a round is double charged. Out of curiosity I weighed a dozen empty .40 cases and found variances as high as 3 gr. in their weight. Same with the bullets I'm using - as much a 2 gr. difference from published weight.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat12 View Post
    Break one down, check for correct charge and weigh components on a digital scale. Weigh each round on the scale. While there may be a very slight variance in case weight, a double charge would be obvious.

so you learned two more things.
    1) use better bullets
    2) use better brass

Turn them over to the local LEO dept.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

If you want to get rid of them and don't want to or can't pull them.....I agree with curly1; bring them to your local PD.
    I remember about 20 years ago, a local indoor gun range (which; sadly, no longer exists) was very friendly with our PD and I was friendly with the owner. They had amassed about 2000+ rounds of various ammo through turn ins or confiscations. They went to the range owner and asked if he had any interest in the ammo...he took it in....kept the stuff that was factory in boxes and asked me if I wanted the rest of the loose ammo. I kept the factory stuff and broke down the reloads.
    Lot of good suggestions in this thread.
    Good Luck.
    Mark

All my brass is Winchester, Remington and Federal. I only use Remington 180 gr. FMJ and Hornady 180 gr. FTX bullets. All good quality products.

Quote Originally Posted by ar10ar15man View Post
    so you learned two more things.
    1) use better bullets
    2) use better brass

imho,
    if your brass has a 3 grain variance in a small case like 40 s&w..it is not high quality:
    if your bullets have a 2 grain variation, they are not high quality.
    just my opinion,

All my brass is Winchester, Remington and Federal. I only use Remington 180 gr. FMJ and Hornady 180 gr. FTX bullets. All good quality products.

imho,
    if your brass has a 3 grain variance in a small case like 40 s&w..it is not high quality:
    if your bullets have a 2 grain variation, they are not high quality.
    just my opinion,
    None of which makes any difference in handgun ammunition components.

Pull pour , re weight, reload.....get rid of them shooting!

only if your personal standards are the same.
    i shot pistols in competition for over 20 years.
    my 300 gr 44 bullets were plus or minus .5
    my 135 9mm, 230 45acp were plus or minus .3

accuracy does count in competition.
    if you plink at cans at 10 yards i guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by WarPig1976 View Post
    None of which makes any difference in handgun ammunition components.

Where in order to get to the South, you have to go north

Bottom of a lake or ocean?

I had 100+ .30-06 from the late 60's, and realizing they were reloads I took them to my LGS. He already had a pile of ammo and a place to dispose of it safely. A common practice for them. The boxes were marked $8.00 for 20.
    "He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

-.2 my loads grouped my (-.3's grouped gor plinking accurate too)
    + .2 loads grouped + .1 grouped . No + 3's
    .0 was target hunting loads measured to .o on all accounts...lenght, seat, powder.
    single loading press. One at a time.
    as a new reloaded some of the older range guys were impressed by my consists groups at two hundred yards.

one thing noticed: if, when I took left over loads, lenghts,seating variences different, then culled (+.'s,-.s)
    shot the mixed loads as a group....... that's when groups spread with notice!

It sure seems a shame to toss good quality components like that. I expect that a collet puller wouldn't be able to get enough grip to pull those, and I know pulling that many with a kinetic puller is one heck of a chore, but kinetic pullers are cheap and you might end up surprised at how fast it goes once you really have the hang of it. Fifty or a hundred rounds at a time when you have time. Depends on what your time is worth to you.

I have several containers full of pulled pistol bullets. Over the years I've had random ammo given to me, and I've picked up a bunch of loose rounds out of the gravel at the range here and there that people have dropped. I pull them all for components (dump the powder of course). I put a round into the kinetic puller, and a hard smack or two against a big block of lead is all it takes. 1100 in one sitting would be hell for tedious, but a few at a time wouldn't be bad. It all depends on what your time is worth to you.

Here's one, $12 shipped: https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-836...kinetic+puller

Might could use one once in a while anyhow, could be worth a try?

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by wombat12 View Post
    It hasn't been established that these loads ll use the same bullets and are loaded in the same brand of brass.

Even so, with the normal variabilities you can see in bullets and case construction, I don't believe I would trust what might be less than a 5 or 6 grain variation in the weight of loaded .40 caliber cartridges to be a 100% reliable indicator that ALL the double charges have been identified.

40 is on the hot side of pressure I've read.....
    would not play..pull reload.if same powder.

only if your personal standards are the same.
    i shot pistols in competition for over 20 years.
    my 300 gr 44 bullets were plus or minus .5
    my 135 9mm, 230 45acp were plus or minus .3

accuracy does count in competition.
    if you plink at cans at 10 yards i guess not.

Yup, that .5 grains really helps when your running against the clock @ 25 and 50yds.

I have bought a few estates (Well, more than a few) and ended up with a lot of loaded ammo,
    none of which I trust,

so,

single stage press and a collet puller,
    I have pulled a few thousand rounds of various calibers this way,
    if fact, I have about 50 lbs of powder to burn off,

some pistol rounds can be hard to pull, so I use a pair of pliers and no die, (got a lot of lead to eventually sell)

soem bullets can be saved, some cannot,

the kinetic puller is a good idea, just do a hundred or so at a time,

and reuse,
    since you loaded, and hopefully have notes on what powder you used, you can reclaim that as well,

meanwhile, if anyone local to RVA has a need for 50 lbs of mixed powder,, let me know,

I'll likely burn it off during the next big rain cycle
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

thanks for all the good and/or foolish advice guys. Being I get my components for free, or super cheap, I don't have much $$$ invested in this ammo. Will take it to the sheriffs dept. tomorrow and ask them to "dispose" of it. And I think I'm going to get out of .40s and go back to 9mm and .45 exclusively for USPSA matches. Much less of a headache when it comes to reloading.

The way things are going RE the 9mm's popularity, I expect USPSA will modify their power factor rules soon so 9mm shooters are not at a disadvantage in Limited/L10 divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post
    I have bought a few estates (Well, more than a few) and ended up with a lot of loaded ammo,
    none of which I trust,

so,

single stage press and a collet puller,
    I have pulled a few thousand rounds of various calibers this way,
    if fact, I have about 50 lbs of powder to burn off,

some pistol rounds can be hard to pull, so I use a pair of pliers and no die, (got a lot of lead to eventually sell)

soem bullets can be saved, some cannot,

the kinetic puller is a good idea, just do a hundred or so at a time,

and reuse,
    since you loaded, and hopefully have notes on what powder you used, you can reclaim that as well,

meanwhile, if anyone local to RVA has a need for 50 lbs of mixed powder,, let me know,

I'll likely burn it off during the next big rain cycle
    I usually get rid of unidentified pulled/bad powder like this when I clean out the litter boxes that my cats use. Throwing a half ounce or so of scrap powder a couple times per week into the plastic grocery bags that the used litter (and my basement trash) goes in can get rid of a surprising amount of powder over a period of time.

Another use for scrap powder is you can spread it around VERY THINLY on your lawn as fertilizer (All those nitrates in the powder won't go to waste).

If you also have a weed problem somewhere on your property, putting the powder down thickly in that area will end up doing a very good job of killing those weeds.

None of these uses are as fun as burning the powder off, but it WILL get rid of it over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    I usually get rid of unidentified pulled/bad powder like this when I clean out the litter boxes that my cats use. Throwing a half ounce or so of scrap powder a couple times per week into the plastic grocery bags that the used litter (and my basement trash) goes in can get rid of a surprising amount of powder over a period of time.

Another use for scrap powder is you can spread it around VERY THINLY on your lawn as fertilizer (All those nitrates in the powder won't go to waste).

If you also have a weed problem somewhere on your property, putting the powder down thickly in that area will end up doing a very good job of killing those weeds.

None of these uses are as fun as burning the powder off, but it WILL get rid of it over time.
    Thinking metal trash can, no lid, and see how high the flame will go

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Send them to ISIS!

Use it for fertilizer, sparingly, lots of nitrogen.

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Krag, Of course the local river offers a quick solution, or the ocean, or down a old well
    Not sure if this is troll bait or not but disposal in lakes, rivers, oceans or in a well is the poorest advice I have ever heard, especially the well suggestion. If you were joking, be aware there are people stupid enough to believe you. There is a limit to intelligence but not to stupidity.

I have 1100 rounds of .40 S&W reloads some of which (probably only a few) have double charges. What is the best way to dispose of them?

Send them to me.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by leech View Post
    Not sure if this is troll bait or not but disposal in lakes, rivers, oceans or in a well is the poorest advice I have ever heard, especially the well suggestion. If you were joking, be aware there are people stupid enough to believe you. There is a limit to intelligence but not to stupidity.
    I agree that it's not a good idea, but there might be a little nicer way to say it...

A friend of mine was camping last year near a high mountain lake. He sent me a photo of something they found in a shallow part of the lake at the bottom in the mud. It was a Hi-Point .40 pistol and some ammo wrapped in an old towel. They turned it in to the sheriff's department. They checked and couldn't find any crime or theft that they could link it to. Maybe someone was just embarrassed at owning a Hi-Point, and figured that was the best place for it.

Another friend once found an illegally modified SKS in a river long ago. His dad made him turn it in, probably a good thing...

I hope that the guy that did that was doing it for himself, he couldn't trust himself. That gun would have been a great self defense gun for so poor single mom or an old person on a pension. It was in the mud, I might be tempted to send it back for Hi Point to fix. There are many people that owe thier lives to Hi Point, both because the used it to shoot a bg or just showed the bd they had it and he beat feet.

thanks for all the good and/or foolish advice guys. Being I get my components for free, or super cheap, I don't have much $$$ invested in this ammo. Will take it to the sheriffs dept. tomorrow and ask them to "dispose" of it. And I think I'm going to get out of .40s and go back to 9mm and .45 exclusively for USPSA matches. Much less of a headache when it comes to reloading.

The way things are going RE the 9mm's popularity, I expect USPSA will modify their power factor rules soon so 9mm shooters are not at a disadvantage in Limited/L10 divisions.
    MAKE SURE to tell the LEA the issues with the ammo - if you decide to dump it off. I would hate to see someone get hurt shooting it. I used to do disposal of ammo /explosives / fireworks for a LEA, and we pretty much blew it all up. I have seen some of the cops siphon off ammo and shoot it though, so tell them the issues. Also, dont just dump it in a hole, lake etc. People freak out if they find it later on. If you dont want to pull it, offer it to some one for free and shipping cost, or you could burn it. We built an ammo incinerator pretty cheap - you just have to capture the small brass frag from the casings popping.

Quote Originally Posted by leech View Post
    And just why do you consider tossing old ammo into a lake or the ocean to be poor advice? If tossed in an area that is known to be a very deep spot, there is probably a zero percent chance anyone would ever get hurt from this ammunition. As just who is going to go down to get it?

We have an old quarry nearby that has been used as a trash dump. Its fenced now, but way back when, people used to get rid of all sorts of unwanted items. Most quarries become abandoned once they hit water that rushes in at a rate that it can't be adequately pumped out. Most of those old quarries are extremely deep as well, so there is not much of chance of anyone going down to retrieve anything, save maybe a local skin diver, but most quarries are off limits to divers due to the dangers involved from all the debris that resides at the bottom of most of them. I don't doubt our old quarry has had its share of old ammo tossed into its depths, as well as more than one automobile. I do know of one old truck that met its end at the bottom of it. There's a rumor that a Sherman tank also sits down there, but we'll never know for sure.

Please do NOT dump it -- it becomes a danger to the environment & humans/animals. If it is out there kids will find it. I will happily take it knowing its history. I will break it into components reuse what is good and salvage the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Smith View Post
    And just why do you consider tossing old ammo into a lake or the ocean to be poor advice?
    Contamination, especially in wells.
    "It is a sick bird that craps in its own nest."
    OK, I suppose this might offend someone also.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatelk View Post
    I agree that it's not a good idea, but there might be a little nicer way to say it...

A friend of mine was camping last year near a high mountain lake. He sent me a photo of something they found in a shallow part of the lake at the bottom in the mud. It was a Hi-Point .40 pistol and some ammo wrapped in an old towel. They turned it in to the sheriff's department. They checked and couldn't find any crime or theft that they could link it to. Maybe someone was just embarrassed at owning a Hi-Point, and figured that was the best place for it.

Another friend once found an illegally modified SKS in a river long ago. His dad made him turn it in, probably a good thing...

I used to work as an Engineer at a power plant on the southwest shore of Lake Erie, and about 20 years ago, when high winds had blown a lot of the water in the lake up towards Buffalo-way, I was sent out to get pictures of the very rarely uncovered sea bottom near the plant. We did this just to know what was 'out there' (navigation problems, etc.) for future reference

What I DID get pictures of were a number of rifles (about six) that had been thrown out about 30 yards into the lake.

Some of our shoreline had been designated as fishing access some years before, and the rifles were disposed of off that access. We called the police, and they recovered the guns.

It turns out that they were stolen in a burglary of a house a mile or two away three or four years before that, and their waterlogged condition pretty much confirmed the fact that the burglars got rid of them rather soon after they were stolen.

I examined them all. The wood was toast, but the metal had not suffered all that much from being stuck in flowing fresh water and mud for a couple of years. Fortunately, nothing was all that collectible. A couple of .22 rifles and a few cheap shotguns as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post

4th of July if coming up!
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

A PHD and a sack of fence post mix.

Not to interfer I would support doing something in line with Jeff's comment. Your trash could be of benefit to another. Disposing the ammo by dumping is not a ecological process. Gentlemen, trash is trash and putting gun powder into the environment is never a good idea. I don't see any depth of water, or a large hole as a viable solution. Using an incenerator has been an acceptable solution for destruction. But again I reflect back to Jeff's comment to send it to him as a solution. This is my country and I ask to not pollute.

Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    Bottom of a lake or ocean?
    Yup... Work in the maritime industry.
    Standard Navy float test.
    Darn... if they float, they must have been OK. Most don't.
    Aloha
    Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono
    " The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness "
    (King Kamehameha III)

I just returned from my local sheriff's department and they were perfectly happy to take the ammo. I warned them NOT to shoot any of it unless they wanted to chance blowing up one of their Glock 23s! They told me it would be "properly disposed" of along with other contraband, confiscated or unsafe materials.............by a controlled burning at the country landfill.

They thanked me for not dumping it in a river or lake or throwing it into the dumpsters at the recycling center. All of which they have come across over the years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast