Gunboards Forums banner

The WWII Collecting Field on the other side of the Pacific

4K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  jebber 
#1 ·
How popular is collecting WWII Japanese military items in Japan ? I'm assuming that there are IJA / IJN collectors inside Japan ?

I know Japan has strict gun laws, and their sword regulations can be quirky, but there must be exceptions and or permits issued for rifles/pistols, and non Gendaito blades ??

I never hear about "Japanese" military Collectors only the "Yankee" collectors.

#2 ·
Although purely anecdotal, I have heard that the rabidity of Japanese IJN/IJA collectors for the hobby far outpaces most folks in the US, other places. I don't know the collector numbers in Japan, but have heard that of the collectors there, some have very impressive collections. Mr. Maekawa of Maekawa Militaria, for example, has a very impressive IJA/IJN officer uniform collection. If there are folks here who have set up at shows like the Victory show in Tokyo, maybe they can speak of collectors who have walked the aisles there and what people were into in the way of Japanese militaria.

Tom

#3 ·
Interesting to know. I guess they do not have the stigma the Germans would in collecting German items as they outlawed the swastika. so anything they collect has to be defaced. and of course after the war no one wanted to be known as being a Nazi or even being a member.

#4 ·
Should be but how can you argue with a Chrysanthemum !!!! They were as bad or worse with the POW's including medical experiments like Mengele . They tied British POW's to trees, especially ones with red hair, and had bayonet practice on them, while they forced the rest of the POW's to watch . When they proposed a reunion of all the involved from the train made famous in The Bridge on The River Kwai, not one Brit showed up.
I have a lot of Japanese stuff, just because, but Halsey had it right. The Bomb was the best thing we ever did. Just MHO, P

#5 ·
I have had some experience with later day Jap military, as well as with the Germans == where the Germans are mostly ashamed of that time, the Japs are only ashamed they lost. My father spent the war Down-under & my father-in-law made the grand tour w/ 2nd USMC. Neither had anything good to say about the jap's. Where as other relatives in the ETO were not as critical. Don't send your swords back to Japan for any reason if you ever want to see it again. http://www.jssus.org/nkp/japanese_sword_laws.html

#6 ·
The Japanese replica weapons in Japan cost more than the real ones here in the United States and since its all they can legally own they have to spend a lot of money to have a collection ,and yes there are collectors over there, they go all out on any thing they get into. They don't teach Japanese ww2 history in there schools and people there don't like to talk about the war. Sore subject over there ,Losing and having to except the unimaginable, I think that's what the Emperor told them at the end. We are very lucky to have the real thing here, and a open society .We teach world history here and are free to own it so far. I for one love the hands on real deal, not replicas. Rick

#7 · (Edited)
Gents........there is a bigger Toyota engine (???) bldng factory close by. Employ many on 3 shifts.....

They send in teams of engineers from Japan on irregular basis. They speak Japanese only........ There was never a viable verbal exchange. On two occasions, we took them shooting. I took 2 Jap. T-99 MGs. The first time was one older guy & 4 much younger ones. The older guy had noticed my local gun guys pictures on his rolling tool box at the plant. Older guy has made mock ups of many of the WW 2 guns from participant nations, has them on display in his house. They cant own anything real.......

On two occasions, we took them shooting......MG 42, US 1919, M-16, Maxim, & 2 Jap T-99s.....there must have been some semis or bolts, but I dont know of them. At that time, the only Jap guns I had were machine guns. I now have 3 rifles.

Last range time was probably 3 yrs ago........The old guy no longer comes, the younger ones with him no longer come, last group of shooters looked like six high school kids, including one girl. She didnt shoot. They giggled, chattered endlessly & took pictures by the hundreds, were extremely interested in how the guns worked, how they were made, totally fascinated by field strip. Were tickled to get to clean.

They certainly went home with a full bag of adventures & historical gun experiences.

PJH

#8 ·
Seems to me some folks are still fighting WW2. Unless you were physically there and part of the greatest generation, in 2017 you don't have the right to toss around derogatory terms like "jap". Regardless of what's going on in your head please show some decorum when you're posting in a public space. Thank you!

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?429-Forum-Rules-Please-Read!

Just a note to add to the basic etiquette, I know the word Jap is common in this field of collecting, and in most cases when refering to the guns, flags, helmets ect...its just a abbreviation. But when applied to people such as soldier who got his head mounted on the pole as I read earlier its offensive to hear to people of Japanese ancestry. I understand the word "Jap" was commonly used during the war to refer to the enemy, but it was also used on Japanese Americans during that same time. Most Japanese Americans regard the work "Jap" like African Americans regard the "N" word. I'm not going get on anyones case for the use of this word,just want to let you know that a little consideration will be appreciated. Thanks Okha
Rod

#9 · (Edited)
Sounds like Rod would be one of those advocating for the removal of the statues of great Conederate generals across the US.

Don't mean to take the thread astray but both my parents were children of the depression. My dad was an artillery radioman bound for Japan from the European Theater when the bomb was dropped. His mother thanked God daily for months that he didn't have to face those animals. At least most German soldiers were "civilized" in a western honor kind of way. My mother tried at great efforts not to buy anything "made in Japan" for most her life.

They were savages - plain and simple. When referring to anything Japanese + WW2 I reserve the right to always use the term JAP or JAPS. Let's not be about rewriting history here. And yes old time JAPS are still pissed off they were defeated as opposed to the German populace was humbled and ashamed .

#11 · (Edited)
didn't have to face those animals. At least the German soldier was "civilized" in a western honor kind of way.

say what??? "civilized" you take a trip to oradour sur glane! you know what! I will take you there! I'll show you how "civilzed" those germans where!
whats next? are you going to claim that concentration camps did not exist too??

the point is you using that term just shows what kind of person you are
so tell me what should I call you since your ancesters killed about half the population of native Americans in the past
before you start pointing fingers an calling them names and blaming people who have nothing to do with what happened in WW2 look in the mirror and look if your past is something to be proud of
there is nothing wrong of being proud of your country but do not go claim you are holyer then the pope!

#13 ·
Did I at any moment claim my country's is without blame? I think not so I don't see why you are in the deffensive like this

all your points are thrue, to some details, like the fact that the claim those resistance fighters came from or took refuge in Oradour is completely made up.
and even if they where from that place this still is no excuse to round every body up in the church and set fire to it.

did the whermacht behave themselves? well sadly you can't ask my dad annymore but he and his fellow inmates would tell you they where captured interrogated and tortured not by the SS but by whermacht soldiers and SD forces.
and was it ALL SS who performed attrocities rapes etc against civilians in Russia? NO!
like it was no SS in poland in 39 either it was whermacht soldiers
was it SS in Vinkt Belgium in 1940? NO it was whermacht
and the list goes on and on... so innocent they are not
and I don't even start on what the germans did in WW1!

in fact king Leopold was named at that time "roi coup main" in Belgium so people did know this fact and he did some other not so respectfull things in kongo am I proud of this? hell no!

and as you pointed it out correctly ALL country's have something to be ashamed off, that includes the US too and THATS my point!
NOBODY is innocent!
I could be vindictive and call all germans crauts or some other name but I see no reason in going that way.
just like there is no reason why GS455 would use the term "Jap" in these days and thats what this whole thing is about.

#14 ·
Perhaps we are all interested in the history of both the time period and the weapons that were there since we were not. I would imagine that anyone who lived through these events would have deep seated "reason" for never adapting to the current reality of things ( our countries being friends years after the wars). I don't blame them and can't say that any of us subjected to the same events might not feel the same. That said, today things are not the same. Here we aquire knowledge from many sources including friends who happen to be of Japanese decent. Who here would use the same racial language that was common in this country 40 years ago? It's just a reflection of changing views and a choice we all make to rised above our collective pasts. So while you may "reserve" the right to speak as you choose, you might find derogatory terms are not as acceptable here as they may be in the privacy of your own home.

Don

#17 ·
Yes, this posting sort of got derailed..................but reading the various derailed postings is still interesting!

I normally don't lock horns on here with other members, but once and a while I don't mind sharing my opinions.

To start with, the term "Jap"anese, it was not deemed offensive before the war, as far as I know. It was merely a shortened abbreviated word used in place of the full word Japanese. Not really any different than using the word "Jew" instead of Jewish. If we treat either word as "racial" both applied during WWII, since the Nazi Government deemed Jews racially instead of from a religious stand point. Now today we can still use the word "Jew" but not the word "Jap"anese. Perhaps that makes sense to some of you reading this, maybe it doesn't. I'd bet various ethnic groups have slang words for white people that could give two chits less about them.

[ QUOTE from SKSGuide] "Many diseases were brought to this country DELIBERATLY for the express purpose of killing the Indians. This is so well documented. What an apologist for genocide who claims this was done unkowingly and they can not therefor be blamed. They did it it and should be blamed. Shame."

That is a LIE, cite your source sir, and be damn sure it's a book with a credible author and not some half azz website you're referring to !

#18 ·
I got looking at the Tanaka replica gun sight and here are some of the prices they pay for replica guns to add to there collections ,I guess not all the prices we pay here are cheaper but most. Type 26 -372.00, Type 94-405.00, Type 38 arisaka 830.00, Type 99 arisaka 815.00 , Type 99 arisaka sniper with 2.5 scope, 990.00 ,really good deal on those and the arisaka come with unground mums. Someone over there must collect ,I cant imagine anyone over here spending that kind of money for replicas. I have heard some knifes and swords over 10" must be registered ,making it even harder for them to collect but they have military shows over there and lots of Japanese people sell & display military items.I have heard they have a harder time finding items for there collections because , We the American's have destroyed or packed it all off to the United States . Go figure. Rick

#19 · (Edited)
(from panzerfaust in post 17 above)

[ QUOTE from SKSGuide] "Many diseases were brought to this country DELIBERATLY for the express purpose of killing the Indians. This is so well documented. What an apologist for genocide who claims this was done unkowingly and they can not therefor be blamed. They did it it and should be blamed. Shame."
Panzerfaust says:
That is a LIE, cite your source sir, and be damn sure it's a book with a credible author and not some half azz website you're referring to ![/QUOTE]
Sksguide reply:
I will out of courtesy to any with genuine interest, suggest credible sources for their information.
A simple google search will take one to the Official Colonial Willamsburg site. (Hardly some radical information site!) . A refined listing "GERM WARFARE" at this site, will produce detailed , documented accounts describing the numerous occasions of germ warfare, small pox blankets etc. starting from the earliest invasions by Europeans. It is a fact, and one easily researched on line...( or at a library) which will take one to many books and numerous original source documents.

#22 ·
White Western man = bad
All other races and Civilizations = good

This is getting so old.
Even though this thread got derailed, I agree with your statement.

No single group of people can be put on a pedestal and be seen as "innocent". Everybody's got chit in their countries background. That goes for natives and Indians as well.

Having said that, I still have a great deal of respect for various countries military forces of the past. They made sacrifices for their nations and live with the horrors they saw and or took part in.

#23 ·
Guess we cant get any further off track......so.....GS455, is this a reference to Buicks '70's competition to the GTO & Chevelle??? I played drag race for 53 years. Have only ever seen two of Buicks top of the line GS cars, that was at Milan about 20yrs ago. There were two w/round port heads, both TH400s. I no longer remember their times. Have them on an old VHS tape here somewhere.

Once went to St. Marys, WVa., to look at a buttercup yellow w/brn. vinyl top GS 455 car........owner didnt survive Viet nam. I didnt buy.

I raced SD Pontiacs, had 7 over the years. Still have 2. Turned down the Max Sterling car last year. My time is over!!!!

PJH
Marion, Ohio, several years ago.....10.05/135, these are clutch cars.

Farmington, NC, late 1990s

Original engine as in white car..note aluminum factory headers......ran best of 10.95 w/aftermarket cam.

#26 ·
Guess we cant get any further off track......so.....GS455, is this a reference to Buicks '70's competition to the GTO & Chevelle??? I played drag race for 53 years. Have only ever seen two of Buicks top of the line GS cars, that was at Milan about 20yrs ago. There were two w/round port heads, both TH400s. I no longer remember their times. Have them on an old VHS tape here somewhere.

Once went to St. Marys, WVa., to look at a buttercup yellow w/brn. vinyl top GS 455 car........owner didnt survive Viet nam. I didnt buy.

I raced SD Pontiacs, had 7 over the years. Still have 2. Turned down the Max Sterling car last year. My time is over!!!!

PJH
Marion, Ohio, several years ago.....10.05/135, these are clutch cars.

Farmington, NC, late 1990s

Original engine as in white car..note aluminum factory headers......ran best of 10.95 w/aftermarket cam.

Loved the pics and stories heckinohio. Mine was a humble but quick 1970 Skylark, GS455 convertible acquired in 85. Had the motor done (stock) back in 96 wi slightly lower compression to handle today's street fuel. It's always needed and deserved a proper frame-off. Something I was not equipped to handle. Unfortunately now that I am of the age to afford it I lost heart and realized I was just dragging it around the last 20 years wherever I moved to starting it up every couple/few months or so for a short drive. Regrettably (or not) I recently sold it via word of mouth to a local Chiropractor. He promised I could take it for a spin when he was done. Been about six months. I'll check in with him before Christmas.

#25 · (Edited)
Sorry chief. Appreciate it or not you are in fact ignorant, oh, and incredibly self-righteous. These statements self-define you as such:

"my one and only issue is showing a little respect to others on a public access forum"

coupled with

"so tell me what should I call you since your ancestors killed about half the population of native Americans in the past"

LOL ! Moving on . . . .

#34 ·
Back to the topic. I believe the war is fast being left behind in Japan. Young people there aren't exposed to it and don't really have any grasp of its breadth/depth or what their grand/great-grands were doing or why. They are a bit puzzled when old-timers talk about what they did back then, and treat them with typical respect and care, but the life experiences of their elders are curiosities, met with polite responses that hide a sort of disinterested apathy. They are more interested in their own success and "looking forward". I discovered this while helping my daughter put together a project about Hiroo Onoda-as popular as he was when he returned to Japan, I learned by reading testimony from other old soldiers that Japanese youth today don't really know much, don't really care to know, and would rather focus attention elsewhere. We joke about this sometimes on an individual basis here in the states, but I don't think it's a joke over there. To me, while I'm sure there are at least some rabid collectors there, the population has to be quite tiny, and dwindling...

http://www.nippon.com/en/in-depth/a04002/

#35 ·
Holy thread drift! Interesting to see this happen no matter what forum you visit....... :-\

Back to the topic. I believe the war is fast being left behind in Japan. Young people there aren't exposed to it and don't really have any grasp of its breadth/depth or what their grand/great-grands were doing or why.
This is very much true. I was stationed out of Japan as part of the USS Midway's air wing for many years in the 80s. Spent time in Yokosuka, Atsugi, Yokota, Sasebo and Kadena and my experience was the same at every location. The younger people loved to interact with us and I spent many a nights bar hoping with people I had never met before. All of them wanted to know about us, where we were from, how we liked their country and what our country was like. One night I became lost on the trains coming back from Tokyo and a young couple went out of their way to take me all the way back to base themselves.

Now on the other hand, the older folks hated us with a passion. When coming across a WWII veteran it wasn't unusual to give us a look with plain hate written all over them. Several would go so far as to start yelling at us and creating a scene. If you know anything about Japanese culture that is not something that happens very often. One guy actually spit at us. If we were with younger Japanese folks they would become very quiet and respectful to their elders and fade away quickly. They never got physical, but you could tell if they had a gun or bayonet they would love to mow us down.

#40 ·
Absolutely. Savage animals responsible for millions of civilian murders and untold thousands of POWs.
People go to Japan nowadays and say "how nice and pleasant they are, hard to believe those old stories".
The reason is that thanks to the US Army, Navy and Marines we eliminated all the bad ones and tuned up the breeding stock.

#42 ·
My first car was a '70 Chevelle.

I was stationed in Germany in '78-'79. Most of the older folks loved GI's & would make sure you knew it. Most of the younger generation didn't want to associate with GI's

My DNA test says I am Rus, Polish, Scandinavian & German. Some of my ancestors fought for the north in the Civil War. Others didn't come to America until early 1900's.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that somewhere, some time in history "I" have been the aggressor and/or the victim of circumstances of that time & place. That's ok, I sleep pretty good at night.

After reading thru all this, I can understand why collectors from Japan would prefer not to interact here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.