Monthly Vintage Sniper Match

Thread: Monthly Vintage Sniper Match

wink2 Monthly Vintage Sniper Match

Again the time comes to occasionally post our vintage sniper match day, which is fun to participate in if you happen to be in the area or do not mind the drive. We are located in NW Tennessee at the henry county gun club which hosts a vintage sniper match every 3rd saturday of the month. Most folks who shoot are from the area but, also, many do travel from memphis, Paducah, Illinois and visiting Tennessee counties. We typically start around lunchtime and food is provided (no charge) as I enjoy the cooking. Then we get down to business. Usually there are 4-5 event rounds (shooting the gauntlet 100-500 yards, 8 and 12 inch plates at each 100), then the 600 and 627 yard set up of 5 targets of varying sizes from 8 inches up to full IDPA steel (all steel as it sounds good and less work than paper-hit is a hit), speed round at varying distances from 150-550 and a know your limits round which separates most folks' scores as a miss here loses points for that event. Other stations are done as well depending on the weather and day. We try to be easier or less stringent on our rules re: weapon usage and no modern scopes or rifles can be utilized.... zfk 55, VZ54 etc can be used as the optics are in line with the vintage optics. Most of the weapons that show up are swede snipers, mosin pu's, 03a4s and a1's, and M1D's. However, other oddities have made their presence on numerous occasions including the No4T's, Argentine 1909, k31/43, zfk55, SOV, Top Mount PE and side mount PEM's, and k98k's. If nothing else, its quite impressive to see what shows up on a particular day. If you have interest in shooting please pm and we will be glad to have you. BTW sheepdog and I took the match home today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5707.jpg  

IMG_5709.jpg  

IMG_5708.jpg  

IMG_5710.jpg  

IMG_5711.jpg  

IMG_5713.jpg  

IMG_5715.jpg  

IMG_5716.jpg  

Default vintage sniper

good range pics and last but not least..... sheepdog (last picture) taking it all in !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5717.jpg  

IMG_5718.jpg  

IMG_5720.jpg  

IMG_5721.jpg  

Like that long scoped o3a3!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Like that long scoped o3a3!
    The guys who brought that and the a4 were a hoot... I'm going to guess they were in their 70s and had a ball!! Mighty fine shooters as well. Glad they joined in today !!

Looks like a lot of fun! Shooting vintage snipers and a free lunch to boot; you can't beat that. Anyone know of any vintage sniper matches in PA?
    Looking for PU scope number 10062. See post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...light=pashutr3

Thanks for the most complimentary picture Andy, I look like I've been on a week long Thorazine bender.
    Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

Alund....do you remember scope name?
    us old timers bring personality to any shoot!

Looks like great times! If I get my PU's sighted in I'll join up!

Default HCMC sniper shoot

It was an Unertl....non USMC marked. I am sure we will see them again. There ain't many 700 yard shooting galleries east of the Mississippi within a decent driving range. Lucky we are. Here are some other weapons used in the past as well as food for thought!

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Alund....do you remember scope name?
    us old timers bring personality to any shoot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5438.jpg  

IMG_5447.jpg  

IMG_5564.jpg  

IMG_5290.jpg  

IMG_2934.jpg  

IMG_5554.jpg  

It was a great day, we have a blast at these matches, not a lot of pressure, outstanding food, had a watermelon yesterday after the match, alund was on fire yesterday, couldn't miss! Best of all, my 2 sons were in this weekend for Fathers Day, and got to shoot with them, doesn't get any better than that! Botl56

We keep building up a concentration of Vintage Snipers in the Local Area. We may be Vintage Sniper USA.

Do you know what the top 3 rifles were?

In general the Swede gets the crown! But other weapons that win or have taken top spot are are the mosin pu, the SOV, zfk55, 03a4 and the K98k. Jlacy usually keeps the stats as I am going from memory. I can't remember if the no 4T has his the top yet. It's possible that bolt56 got it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by lencac View Post

Quote Originally Posted by lencac View Post
    I would be interested in that as well. During our Military shoots, the K31's usually come out on top.

alund. Thank you
    Last edited by Heirmossy; 06-18-2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: already answered
    A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.
    - Albert Einstein

We have had a Swiss K31 and an g96 with clamp on scope mounts with weavers but they have not seemed to cut the mustard at times. I think a little more work would have made them much more competitive vs the other snipers.

I know a certain ZfK55 that was on the money yesterday.
    Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

Gentlemen! Pray tell where is this wonderful sight? Hopefully you're in driving distance

Just north of Paris, TN. near the Kentucky line, I drive 145 miles one way to shoot in it.

Through out the years, I would say the M41b has been on top the most. We have had others win, even a M1D.

4T one time. Bolt56

Unertl 15 to 20 power are top long distance shooters.
    my 20x Lyman has put 10 shoots 22 cal rounds on a "foot by foot" steel plate at 225 yards...
    thats when when I was prime 43 years old off bench and all flags still.

I'm going to have to give this a try (not a far drive from Clarksville).
    What are the authorized rifle guidelines? Interested in using an SVD, which were originally fielded in 1963.

I think an real deal Svd would be a fantastic weapon to bring. Not only is the rifle comparable to our specs, it's one of the coolest weapons ever made. If you bring that I'll bring an L42a1. Pm jlacy as he is the match director. He actually brought out a PSL (not really comparable-but optic power allowed its use in the match)

Quote Originally Posted by LanceS4803 View Post
    I'm going to have to give this a try (not a far drive from Clarksville).
    What are the authorized rifle guidelines? Interested in using an SVD, which were originally fielded in 1963.

Thanks alund. I'll try and get a free weekend to do this.
    While the rifle is great, the 4x optic ain't the best in the world!

When you get done with the rifle just come towards the west and I'll be waiting for it. 😃

This sounds like an awesome shoot! I recently took my No4(T) to our local 600 yard range and was pleasantly surprised to have the turrets on the scope on the money. Steel at 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 was impossible to miss. So much fun.

Looks like a great time once again. Someday I will get down there!
    ***ASK ME HOW TO "ACCURIZE" YOUR MOSIN OR MAUSER AND MAKE IT MORE ACCURATE***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) AND "IGOR" PEM MOUNTS***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) DYNAMO "D2" GECO BASE, MOUNT, AND SCOPE***
    ***LOOKING FOR PE AND PEM SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR ZF-39 ZEISS 4X ZIELVIER SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR RUSSIAN CAPTURE K-98'S (43-44 BNZ AND CE 44)***
    ***LOOKING FOR COMPLETE DOUBLE CLAW OBJECTIVE MOUNT ZEISS/HENSOLDT SETS***

Someone was asking about shoots in PA. I did read about 2 or 3 clubs/ranges here in PA that do have similar events. The one holds flintlock/muzzle loader events including civil war reenactments. Another one does World War 1 reenactments, and the third one is a long range shooting club that holds long range shooting matches out to 1000 yards.

If I remember correctly the one that holds the Flintlock/muzzle loading events is somewhere around Lancaster, PA or Reading, PA. If I remember correctly the one that does the WW1 reenactments is in Newville, PA. The other one that shoots 1000 yards is: The Original 1000 yard Bench Rest Club in Williamsport, PA.

I think there are a couple other 1000 yard ranges in western PA, but the names I do not know or their location.
    Last edited by Groffeaston; 06-20-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Great stuff. You guys are killing me.

I managed to pick this up just before the shoot, now my m/41B has a cousin in the safe to talk to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1912 m41.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	2315042

Groffeaston,

Thanks for the info on PA; I'm only an hour from Williamsport so I will look into that range.

Eric
    Looking for PU scope number 10062. See post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...light=pashutr3

It is a Private Club and I believe to shoot there you have to be a member, except during the matches, I think. For more information here is the website: http://www.pa1000yard.com/

I found their website a while back while looking up some information from another forum. I remembered that they had a 1000 yard range and also hosted 1000 yard matches.

My dad and I went to the Hamburg, PA Cabela's store today. They had a few: Century Arms SKS's, Century Arms AK's, and 91/30 Mosin Nagants. The Mosin Nagants were priced at $299.00 and from what little I could see of them looked in decent shape and had a LOT of Cosmoline grease on the Bayonets that were attached to the barrels by plastic wire ties. We did not have enough money or we might have got another one! LOL But we did get a pair of 2 way radios/walkie talkies, a small box of .22LR ammo, a box of Federal Power Shok 150gr .270win ammo, and some bags of candy and a jug of pretzels. LOL Would have gotten more stuff, but we did not have the money!