Gunboards Forums banner

New Carcano, questions on ID/Date/Caliber

768 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Spetsnazdan 
#1 ·
Hi Gunboards,

Recently purchased my first Carcano and I have some confusion regarding the model, Date Made, and Caliber. Pictures are attached.

I *think* it is all matching, stock appears to match the receiver but due to lack of apparent serials on the other parts (which from what I can tell is normal) I can't speak with absolute certainty.

From what I've seen I'd say it is a M38 TS, but the Straight bolt (as opposed to the bent bolt that M38 TS usually have) has made me second guess that.

As for the date it appears that the place where the date is usually is blank, aside from a scratch, I suspect date will come down to the model without it clearly marked.

The Local Shop I bought it at had it listed as 6.5 and while I have no real reason to doubt that being true having seen that it is also possible for Carcanos to be in 7.35 and 8mm Mauser I was curious if there is any definitive way to tell before ordering anything.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You can also compare different diameter bullets against the muzzle. 6,5 will drop right into 7,35 or 8mm, of course. There's a 99% chance this is a standard 6,5 Carcano chambered M38 TS.

7,35 caliber TS were in a different serial number range, and 8mm conversions will have a large S over the chamber and on the bolt root. SW

#4 ·
FNA-B #RAxxxxx, according to Wolfgang Riepe in Il Novantuno Mannlicher-Carcano, pg.224 lacks data on numbers, but comments the series does contain many Moschetti im Kal. 8 x 57 IS.

It is a model 91/38 TS, some time post 1942?, but the bolt most likely is not original, possibly from a rifle. So check the calibre!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.