Deer Head Mosin - Redo

Thread: Deer Head Mosin - Redo

Default Deer Head Mosin - Redo

I bought this one many years ago from Squim, IIRC - It has seen some damp weather from a very soggy side of WA, it is unique - They pop up for sale every now and then, but nowadays seem rather uncommon.

Enjoy the pics!

Pahtu.

Below pics are from my old camera!

Last edited by Pahtu; 06-19-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Some really quality craftsmanship there.

Excellent artisan work....pulled it as good together as ark angles stocks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Well, if you are going to make a sporter, you might as well do it right. I remember you posting those pictures in the past. That is some really good work on that one.
    "Always bring a hammer to a stick fight."-nassaulakes

"I would gladly trade you all my charlston chews for all of your .22"
    - mat!_SW

That is a work of art!
    Too bad the moisture got to it.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.
    That was done in Japan?

The general consensus on these occasionally-seen highly engraved 91/30s is that they were done in Japan during/after the Korean Police Action from USGI bring-backs. Incredible workmanship, and way too much labor to be cost effective to produce in the USA, even in the 1950's, imho. I've seen five or six over the years, all generally following the same engraving motif, which makes me think only one or two gunsmiths or gun shops must've done all of them. Fwiw, excellent cameras, custom men's suits, etc., were all available inexpensively in that 1950's post-ww2 Japanese economy.
    Last edited by FGD135; 06-19-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    "Get your facts first and then you can distort 'em as much as you please"--Mark Twain

Thanks for the repics Gary.....could use some of the Deer Head though Denny

Now if I could just figure out how to post that many pictures on a single page!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckstopper View Post
    Some really quality craftsmanship there.
    Not bad - I think it is cool!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Excellent artisan work....
    Stock work - The engraving, better than what I could do.

I had a really fancy L.C. Smith, by Hunter Arms - Made circa turn of the century(early 1900's), was special made for my great grandpa - Fancy wood, crazy fine & excellent engraving all over, birds, dogs, hunter scenes - Piece was stolen back in the 1980's - This rifle is neat, but the engraving is a bit crude compared to the masters of engraving who worked on my ole L.C. Smith....

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter2 View Post
    Well, if you are going to make a sporter, you might as well do it right. I remember you posting those pictures in the past. That is some really good work on that one.
    Thanks CS2, bringing back to the light of day, some select pieces - Shuffling around the ole collection & postponing chores....

Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Bearbait View Post
    That is a work of art!
    Too bad the moisture got to it.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.
    That was done in Japan?
    That is a work of art! - Thanks!

Too bad the moisture got to it. Yeah, probably needs another rub down with oil to slow down the rust fleckling

Thanks for posting the pictures. - You are welcome! My guess this could be one of the first times newbies saw such a thing.

That was done in Japan? Maybe - Post WWII - Some have guessed Chinese artisans working in Japan, during or after The Korean war.

Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Thanks for the repics Gary.....could use some of the Deer Head though Denny
    Chuckle, knew I forgot something.....

Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    Chuckle, knew I forgot something.....

Gary.

Thanks for the extra pic. I's sure there are some who have never seen these. You got a good one as some of the heads were not as well done. Some of the faces kind of look like a dog. Or a shoe...........a mule. Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    That is a work of art! - Thanks!

Too bad the moisture got to it. Yeah, probably needs another rub down with oil to slow down the rust fleckling

Thanks for posting the pictures. - You are welcome! My guess this could be one of the first times newbies saw such a thing.

That was done in Japan? Maybe - Post WWII - Some have guessed Chinese artisans working in Japan, during or after The Korean war.

Gary.
    As a newbie, this is definitely my fist time to see a rile like this. I thank Pahtu for all the PICs, and I would love to get to be able to take the quality photos he takes. Very nice to look at. It is beautiful, and I was wondering who must have spent so much time and effort to build such a piece of quality craftsmanship and art, that also has obvious utility. Wouldn't have guessed overseas, but goes to show how much I don't know...Moisture may have left it's mark, but it certainly didn't do much it appears, but give it Character. Great piece to have...nice find...

Wow, a lefty stock!

Pahtu, that rifle is absolutely gorgeous. Im sure you already know that though lol.

Thought I recognized that from before. Better to spell it how you say it, than Sequim and make people guess! Haven't been up that way for a while either! Fantastic rifle.
    MOSIN PRIME!

Always looking for interesting Imperial Mosins! Antique M91s, 91/38s and Imperial dated Nagant revolvers. PM me if you may have one you may be looking to trade/sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Colonel View Post
    Better to spell it how you say it
    Sure enuff, spulling ain't my thang - Goot ketch!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 Colony Patriot View Post
    As a newbie, this is definitely my fist time to see a rile like this. I thank Pahtu for all the PICs, and I would love to get to be able to take the quality photos he takes. Very nice to look at. It is beautiful, and I was wondering who must have spent so much time and effort to build such a piece of quality craftsmanship and art, that also has obvious utility. Wouldn't have guessed overseas, but goes to show how much I don't know...Moisture may have left it's mark, but it certainly didn't do much it appears, but give it Character. Great piece to have...nice find...
    I appreciate the appreciation!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersport750 View Post
    Wow, a lefty stock!
    Nifty, when I bought the piece online, I did not notice that till it arrived - DeanDalles(sp), a long time member who passed away this year, told me to not fire the piece in the stock, as it has no recoil bolt and he had seen guns like this one, with split stocks.....makes sense to me!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by milsurpsupreme View Post
    Pahtu, that rifle is absolutely gorgeous. Im sure you already know that though lol.
    Thank you! I have seen a handful of these sell online, most were Mosins, 91-30s, I think one M44 - one looked like it was an enfield of some sort, it was for sale on GB and located in AZ, I bid on it, but it went for more $$ than my wallet could bear....

I have seen these sell cheap, and I have seen these sell for high $$.

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Colonel View Post
    Haven't been up that way for a while either!
    Absolutely beautiful country up there - The Olympics are stunning in the Spring.....odd thing tho......no one has a tan around there.....LOL......I ate in a restaurant in Port Angelas(sp), and the waitress told me "You are not from around here", chuckle.....I asked her how did you know? She said your car is dusty(I rarely wash it as I live in a dusty area, drive on a gravel/dirt road every day, pointless to keep a car clean for a couple hours), and you have quite a tan......

The dry side of WA is also a sun baked side of WA....

Pahtu.

Northest Indiana-Southshore of Lake Michigan

Well Done, from a left eyed, right handed shooter. Nice!

The buckhorn rear sight is appropriate.