SKS stove pipe/double feed issue

Thread: SKS stove pipe/double feed issue

Default SKS stove pipe/double feed issue

Hello all, I have a 1954, non issued Russian SKS that has a double feed/stovepipe issue.

It seems to happen once or twice every 15-20 rounds or so. It'll double feed and stovepipe the second round that's fed.

I've checked a few things, first I tore down the rifle and made sure all the cosmoline was completely gone. I then checked the contact between the bolt and the feed tabs on the magazine. The channel on the bolt seems to be riding evenly on the magazine feed tabs. The tabs do not look damaged and appear to be bent evenly. The feed ramp in the magazine seems to be undamaged.

When I got this rifle, it looked completely unfired, there was no wear at all on any of the contact surfaces, there was no carbon anywhere in the rifle. I've only put 50-100 rounds through it, it still looks brand new. It is completely unmodified.

The number stampings all match. I even went as far as to basically over lube the gun, just in case something was too dry and hanging up. All it accomplished was giving me a face full of oil.

Side note, I'm using steel case Tulammo.

Any ideas?

I would guess it my still have harden grease in the piston tube....?

No, I completely tore it down and made sure there was no cosmoline left. The seal on the gas tube is nice and tight, I took out both pistons and made sure the tubes were completely clear. I even put some air through the port at the front gas block from the barrel and it passes completely clear.
    Last edited by Will51; 06-18-2017 at 09:25 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Have you had the mag. Out?
    and being sure the mag. Is back in and tightened down correctly not pinching mag...

one i got long back mag. Wasn't seating correctly?
    caused a few *****words of wisdom!
    took everything apart put "my glasses" on and reassembled it....worked?

now as far as I know too much oil doesn't cause any more problems than as you spoke.

I took the mag out today, I haven't tried to fire it again after I put the mag back in.

Before today I had never had the mag out before. So I guess it's possible it may have been seated incorrectly. The cosmoline was already stripped off the rifle when I purchased it, maybe someone had it apart before me to clean it up and didn't seat it correctly.

Honestly I'm a little nervous about firing it again. I've heard some pretty bad stories about these things double feeding and injuring/killing the shooter.

If two LIVE rounds are feeding simultaneously-- the culprit isn't crud in the chamber or recoil mechanisms-- it's most likely a magazine related issue.

However, if it's stove piping a spent casing while feeding the next live round from the magazine, then it could be crud in the chamber or recoil systems.

Do you have access to another magazine that you can install and try out to see if the double feeding persists?

Also, I highly advise against lubricating the firing pin channel inside the bolt. Most lubricants attract residue which will lead to an obstructed firing pin channel and potential "full auto" slam fires. The free floating firing pin requires no lubricant at all--only regular cleaning and maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Will51 View Post
    I took the mag out today, I haven't tried to fire it again after I put the mag back in.

Before today I had never had the mag out before. So I guess it's possible it may have been seated incorrectly. The cosmoline was already stripped off the rifle when I purchased it, maybe someone had it apart before me to clean it up and didn't seat it correctly.

Honestly I'm a little nervous about firing it again. I've heard some pretty bad stories about these things double feeding and injuring/killing the shooter.
    The supposed issue of concern is a stuck firing pin that causes the rifle to slam fire. Over oiling the firing pin can cause this by attracting dirt, it really needs to be dry in the firing pin channel. As for the double feed/stove pipes it is usually the magazine feed lips.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Thanks for the replies. I'll pick up another magazine and see if that helps. That would suck, it's an all numbers matching rifle. I'd hate for the original magazine to be unusable.

You mention double feed and stovepipe as the same issue with the / mark., a little unclear to me and noted above?? Is it actually double feeding live cartridges or stovepiping a fired cartridge., or failing to extract??
    Stovepiping can be caused by a damaged or weak extractor or extractor spring. But generally not involved in double feeding.
    Of course if a spent cartridge is not extracted the next live round can jam on the head end of the fired round etc. or stovepipe if partially extracted.

Double feeding is generally magazine related as noted already.

The recoil spring is inserted properly?

There's no need to purchase any new parts yet. If you do a forum search of various magazine feed issues -- or a term search on the interwebs-- you will likely find the answer to your particular double-feeding problem. There have been numerous threads here and elsewhere on this kind of problem over the years.

Also: -- all that extra lubrication may be the cause of the problem if the lube has found its way into the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    You mention double feed and stovepipe as the same issue with the / mark., a little unclear to me and noted above?? Is it actually double feeding live cartridges or stovepiping a fired cartridge., or failing to extract??
    Stovepiping can be caused by a damaged or weak extractor or extractor spring. But generally not involved in double feeding.
    Of course if a spent cartridge is not extracted the next live round can jam on the head end of the fired round etc. or stovepipe if partially extracted.

Double feeding is generally magazine related as noted already.

The recoil spring is inserted properly?
    It's double feeding live rounds, stovepiping the second round. As in it feeds two live rounds, the first round chambers correctly and the second round feeds with the projectile sticking straight up, sandwiched between the base first round and the bolt carrier, denting the side of the bullet case.

Yes, the recoil spring is installed flat side to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Badinov View Post
    There's no need to purchase any new parts yet. If you do a forum search of various magazine feed issues -- or a term search on the interwebs-- you will likely find the answer to your particular double-feeding problem. There have been numerous threads here and elsewhere on this kind of problem over the years.
    I did a search, what I found was people installing the recoil spring incorrectly or the feed tabs on the magazine not engaging the grooves in the bolt properly. Or when having a detachable magazine feature added to the rifle, there's a problem with the magazine. Both of those items seem fine on my rifle and it's all original with the fixed magazine.

I may be missing something, but that's generally what I found.

No one has indicated buying parts and I now understand what you are describing as the double feed type.
    Generally the SKS is a very reliable feeding firearm and neither oil or dirt are commonly an operational problem unless in excessive amounts.
    If you have access to another SKS to try swapping the mag it might be one way to test or eliminate that as an issue.

I'll pick up another magazine and see if that helps.

Sounds like buying a new magazine to me.

Clean up the extra lube. There's no need. Especially in and around the bolt and in the magazine.

If you post pics of the receiver with the bolt open and the top of the magazine feed area exposed it will help to better diagnose the problem.

A very similar issuee was addressed here within the last few months. I'll try and find a link when I get home from work.

Hopefully pick up a mag to test as a loaner from a friend is the point.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Thanks for the replies. I'll pick up another magazine and see if that helps. That would suck, it's an all numbers matching rifle. I'd hate for the original magazine to be unusable.
    If you really want to keep it numbers matching, you should be able to remove the 'floorplate' from your current magazine assembly and swap it for the one on the replacement assembly. There is only a pin that you need to remove and replace to make the swap.

It isn't like anybody is going to be able to tell the difference (or really care) if the internal magazine parts are not original .

Wil 51... That's what I was getting at...

sounds like an unsafe condition, be careful.
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

The only scenarios where two rounds can be stripped from the magazine by a single forward stroke of the bolt would be the mag lips being stretched upward, too far apart, or material has been removed from the mag lips.

The replacement mag body is a good suggestion.

Well, here are some pictures, not having a ton of experience with the SKS platform, it looks OK to me.
    Attachment 2313850Attachment 2313858Attachment 2313858Attachment 2313866Attachment 2313874Attachment 2313882Attachment 2313882Attachment 2313890

Well, here are some pictures, not having a ton of experience with the SKS platform, it looks OK to me.
    Attachment 2313850Attachment 2313858Attachment 2313858Attachment 2313866Attachment 2313874Attachment 2313882Attachment 2313882Attachment 2313890
    I couldn't open any of these attachments.

Yeah. The pic uploader is on the hit-or-miss-fritz again.

I can see the pics, though. There is nothing visibly wrong with the mag lips or follower. But it is impossible to see depth in a two dimensional image.

The fact that a second round can be stripped forward by the bolt means only one thing. Two rounds can be released and stripped passed the mag lips at the same time. The lips are not properly contoured.

Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
    Yeah. The pic uploader is on the hit-or-miss-fritz again.

I can see the pics, though. There is nothing visibly wrong with the mag lips or follower. But it is impossible to see depth in a two dimensional image.

The fact that a second round can be stripped forward by the bolt means only one thing. Two rounds can be released and stripped passed the mag lips at the same time. The lips are not properly contoured.
    ^^ This.

It is also an indication that the bases of two cartridges are able to get in front of the bolt at the same time.

Perhaps the rear end of the magazine box 'sits high' in the receiver for some reason.

OK, one more question, just to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I've used tulammo and I've never loaded it using a stripper clip. I've loaded it from the bottom by opening the mag cover. There's nothing with that ammo or loading process that would cause this issue right?

Well,

Loading with an open cover is not an acceptable method. There is potential for improper stacking and linear stagger.

Even without a stripper clip, the rounds should be loaded individually from the top with the cover closed, with the casing base consistently placed at the rear.

The mag release to open the cover is for clearing the rifle only.

Don't worry about the bolt closing on your thumb. The hold-open will not release until the charging handle is moved to the rear.

Thanks, I bet the improper stacking may be causing the double feed. I'll load them from the top and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Thanks, I bet the improper stacking may be causing the double feed. I'll load them from the top and see if that fixes the issue.

I think you are on the right track.

HUH?
    you were loading the integral magazine how?
    get some stripper clips, use the feed notch on the bolt, and load correctly, from the top
    that could be your problem right there
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

Load two rounds only...try
    then three...try
    etc.

LOL...Will51 I was wracking my (weak) brain over this problem also until you mentioned loading through the bottom of the magazine! A while back I read a post (don't recall where) of someone describing one of the YouTube guys turning an SKS upside down and loading it through the open magazine cover. I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try...never got it to work for me after a couple of attempts. The cartridges were not feeding properly, creating a dangerous situation I was not going to toy with. There was no doubt for me this was caused by the way I was loading it, my 1953 Tula has always functioned perfectly for me. As others have said already...you should load it as it was designed to be loaded.

But please let us know how it functions after loading it through the top!
    MOLON LABE

"Better to fight for something than to live for nothing"
    Gen. George Patton