Gunboards Forums banner

M28/30 1940

1K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  13 Colony Patriot 
#1 ·
Would love to hear folks feedback on this 1940 M28/30.
I can say, it is as accurate or more so than my M39's.
I think it must have been pretty last in serial numbers of the 1940 production, so was it issued? Re arsenaled? When I obtained it and disassembled it, it was all TIGHT as if it has been hardly fired but a few times and bore is mint to me. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#6 ·
And the rear stock band is the wrong way too, so it seems quite likely this has been worked on post deliver at least one

#5 ·
Thanks for posting picture of your rifle.

I don't recall seeing both a SAKO gear stamp and a CG shield on a stock before. One of my M28/30s is wearing a stock from a Civilian Sales that has only the SAKO gear stamp. But the gear stamp is located back closer to the butt.

#7 · (Edited)
There certainly are some oddballities in that rifle. For example font of the bolt knob number looks somewhat different than what I've seen in Sakos of that era. Could be depot renumbered bolt but what disturbs me more is that the same stampers (?) have been used on the buttplate. For what I've seen, buttplate numbers have lettering larger than that on bolt and, on the other hand, SA wasn't interested in renumbering the buttplates. This is just me though.

As to stock markings, can't say without closer-ups. The CG emblem looks strange, the S letter is almost gone but the shield is extra bold. Hmmm....

#15 ·
As to stock markings, can't say without closer-ups. The CG emblem looks strange, the S letter is almost gone but the shield is extra bold. Hmmm....
Almost looks like the stamp of the shield is made in two parts, when looking at the bottom tip of the shield

#8 ·
CH has invented a new word and I like it, "Oddballities" That rifle does indeed have some of them! All mentioned above nicely. Going through my 28/30's right now and I don't recall seeing any of the things mentioned that the rifle has on any of them.

By the way CH that new word is driving my spell check crazy! So I like it so much I have added it to my dictionary list! That Civil Guard stamping is like none I have ever seen, doesn't look to be all stamped even being more like written? Bill

#9 ·
CH has invented a new word and I like it, "Oddballities" That rifle does indeed have some of them! All mentioned above nicely. Going through my 28/30's right now and I don't recall seeing any of the things mentioned that the rifle has on any of them.

By the way CH that new word is driving my spell check crazy! So I like it so much I have added it to my dictionary list! That Civil Guard stamping is like none I have ever seen, doesn't look to be all stamped even being more like written? Bill[/

Thanks a bunch...I hope it keeps comings ....I will check and make sure the band error isn't from me, but I am wondering if someone put these stamps on there ....is the rifle a fake? If it is, what was it to begin with; that someone turned into a M28/30 look alike? Was it ever a M28/30? My other SKY have a District number on them....this one I don't see one? Is that concerning? Again, thanks.....for all input...

#17 ·
You mean with slot escutcheons that were blued and then partially sanded while and stock cartouches that were sanded after being applied? I have a 1940 28/30 and the cartouches are nice and crisp, clearly applied after finish sanding was done.

Maybe some were done like the op's rifle, I can't say they weren't, but to my eye, it looks refinished. But it might just mean it's been refurbed (?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.