M28/30 1940

Thread: M28/30 1940

Default M28/30 1940

Would love to hear folks feedback on this 1940 M28/30.
    I can say, it is as accurate or more so than my M39's.
    I think it must have been pretty last in serial numbers of the 1940 production, so was it issued? Re arsenaled? When I obtained it and disassembled it, it was all TIGHT as if it has been hardly fired but a few times and bore is mint to me. Thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160804_184715.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	663.0 KB 
ID:	2311330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160804_184558.jpg 
Size:	686.5 KB 
ID:	2311338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160804_184803.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	620.1 KB 
ID:	2311346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160804_184732.jpg 
Size:	510.5 KB 
ID:	2311354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160804_184616.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	806.0 KB 
ID:	2311362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160806_172721.jpg 
Size:	762.8 KB 
ID:	2311370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160804_184547.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	2311378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160804_211033.jpg 
Size:	970.4 KB 
ID:	2311386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160806_180149.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	695.3 KB 
ID:	2311394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170610_175338.jpg 
Size:	542.1 KB 
ID:	2311402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160804_184628.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	661.4 KB 
ID:	2311410

Beautiful rifle!

Pahtu.

The stock was refinished at some point, probably in Finland, so it's definitely had work done post manufacture.

Odd that a 1940 would have a serialized buttplate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Outstanding Rifle!

Thanks for posting picture of your rifle.

I don't recall seeing both a SAKO gear stamp and a CG shield on a stock before. One of my M28/30s is wearing a stock from a Civilian Sales that has only the SAKO gear stamp. But the gear stamp is located back closer to the butt.
    Now I'm going to have to clean that rifle!!

Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    The stock was refinished at some point, probably in Finland, so it's definitely had work done post manufacture.

Odd that a 1940 would have a serialized buttplate.
    And the rear stock band is the wrong way too, so it seems quite likely this has been worked on post deliver at least one
    "Ole viisaasti höperö!" sanoi vääpeli Ryhmy
    Commissar Natalia Vengrovska Fan Club Life Member :-)
    Tired of the Police ? Try calling a Crackhead next time you need help
    ALWAYS looking for anything from Sortavala and Viipuri CG districts
    Looking for Norwegian Mauser K98F1 HÆR 43408 - the first military rifle I was issued

There certainly are some oddballities in that rifle. For example font of the bolt knob number looks somewhat different than what I've seen in Sakos of that era. Could be depot renumbered bolt but what disturbs me more is that the same stampers (?) have been used on the buttplate. For what I've seen, buttplate numbers have lettering larger than that on bolt and, on the other hand, SA wasn't interested in renumbering the buttplates. This is just me though.

As to stock markings, can't say without closer-ups. The CG emblem looks strange, the S letter is almost gone but the shield is extra bold. Hmmm....
    Last edited by CH; 06-19-2017 at 07:23 AM.

CH has invented a new word and I like it, "Oddballities" That rifle does indeed have some of them! All mentioned above nicely. Going through my 28/30's right now and I don't recall seeing any of the things mentioned that the rifle has on any of them.

By the way CH that new word is driving my spell check crazy! So I like it so much I have added it to my dictionary list! That Civil Guard stamping is like none I have ever seen, doesn't look to be all stamped even being more like written? Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

[QUOTE=zeebill;7051194]CH has invented a new word and I like it, "Oddballities" That rifle does indeed have some of them! All mentioned above nicely. Going through my 28/30's right now and I don't recall seeing any of the things mentioned that the rifle has on any of them.

By the way CH that new word is driving my spell check crazy! So I like it so much I have added it to my dictionary list! That Civil Guard stamping is like none I have ever seen, doesn't look to be all stamped even being more like written? Bill[/

Thanks a bunch...I hope it keeps comings ....I will check and make sure the band error isn't from me, but I am wondering if someone put these stamps on there ....is the rifle a fake? If it is, what was it to begin with; that someone turned into a M28/30 look alike? Was it ever a M28/30? My other SKY have a District number on them....this one I don't see one? Is that concerning? Again, thanks.....for all input...

[QUOTE=13 Colony Patriot;7051826]
    Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    CH has invented a new word and I like it, "Oddballities" That rifle does indeed have some of them! All mentioned above nicely. Going through my 28/30's right now and I don't recall seeing any of the things mentioned that the rifle has on any of them.

By the way CH that new word is driving my spell check crazy! So I like it so much I have added it to my dictionary list! That Civil Guard stamping is like none I have ever seen, doesn't look to be all stamped even being more like written? Bill[/

Thanks a bunch...I hope it keeps comings ....I will check and make sure the band error isn't from me, but I am wondering if someone put these stamps on there ....is the rifle a fake? If it is, what was it to begin with; that someone turned into a M28/30 look alike? Was it ever a M28/30? My other SKY have a District number on them....this one I don't see one? Is that concerning? Again, thanks.....for all input...

It is indeed a M28/30......no worries there. Most of the 1940 M28-30's that I have seen do not have the CG District number stamped on the receiver. Denny

[QUOTE=Denny;7051922]
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 Colony Patriot View Post

It is indeed a M28/30......no worries there. Most of the 1940 M28-30's that I have seen do not have the CG District number stamped on the receiver. Denny
    Also I looked at the 1945 Sako i have posted pics of recently and it has same size buttplate stamp as thee m28/30 and numbers appear to be similar....so hopefully not forged...

BTW these pics didn't show to me. Denny

[QUOTE=13 Colony Patriot;7051826]
    The band error won't be yours - unless you have had the front sight off, since just flipping it upside down would offset the screw hole in the stock, and the only way to take the band off and turn it the right way would be taking the front sight off
    Looking for Norwegian Mauser K98F1 HÆR 43408 - the first military rifle I was issued

Quote Originally Posted by CH View Post
    As to stock markings, can't say without closer-ups. The CG emblem looks strange, the S letter is almost gone but the shield is extra bold. Hmmm....
    Almost looks like the stamp of the shield is made in two parts, when looking at the bottom tip of the shield

[QUOTE=jepari;7052330]

The band error won't be yours - unless you have had the front sight off, since just flipping it upside down would offset the screw hole in the stock, and the only way to take the band off and turn it the right way would be taking the front sight off
    I've taken the center/lower band off without taking off the front sight. I agree though, it's on backwards. It's also interesting to have both stamps on the buttstock. I've never seen that before.

Also, I'm not convinced that stock has been refinished. I've seen several late dated one's that look like that.

You mean with slot escutcheons that were blued and then partially sanded while and stock cartouches that were sanded after being applied? I have a 1940 28/30 and the cartouches are nice and crisp, clearly applied after finish sanding was done.

Maybe some were done like the op's rifle, I can't say they weren't, but to my eye, it looks refinished. But it might just mean it's been refurbed (?)

[QUOTE=ole fred;7053090]
    Quote Originally Posted by jepari View Post

I've taken the center/lower band off without taking off the front sight. I agree though, it's on backwards. It's also interesting to have both stamps on the buttstock. I've never seen that before.

Also, I'm not convinced that stock has been refinished. I've seen several late dated one's that look like that.

Thank you for everyone's feedback...I must say I have some of the same questions,,,the CG symbol on the stock is of question and there is no date under it. I have had some Mosin guys with more knowledge than me that say that although they will never be able to say exactly what the stock went thru, but they are certain it happened at the arsenal, as far as being refinished. I must say I agree because the finish overall is not a bubba job and our guess is that it was another stock that the FINNS did not waste and put it to use.
    I would like to know if folks on the forum think the gun is a fraud of some kind, and would they keep the gun, or cut their losses and sell it? Again, thanks for the knowledge and help. God Bless

[QUOTE=ole fred;7053090]
    Quote Originally Posted by jepari View Post

Yep, you're right - I forgot the dimensional differences between the 28 and 28/30 lower stock band

I would like to know if folks on the forum think the gun is a fraud of some kind, and would they keep the gun, or cut their losses and sell it?
    The rifle is different here and there, but the stock finish reminds me of a cool 1940 28-30 I fairly recently sold to a member - That one was darn near mint & in superb condition. The rifles bluing also is not too different IIRC - Keep it? Well if it makes you happy, I would keep it - I have a 1934 28-30 that I bought, posted here, found out it had some interesting features that a U.S. bubba most likely had done....sold the rifle to a member.....Had a run of excellent luck and had $$ in my pocket...missed the rifle.....contacted the member.....and bought it back!

If the rifle shoots well, make you happy.....well heck! Keep it!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    The rifle is different here and there, but the stock finish reminds me of a cool 1940 28-30 I fairly recently sold to a member - That one was darn near mint & in superb condition. The rifles bluing also is not too different IIRC - Keep it? Well if it makes you happy, I would keep it - I have a 1934 28-30 that I bought, posted here, found out it had some interesting features that a U.S. bubba most likely had done....sold the rifle to a member.....Had a run of excellent luck and had $$ in my pocket...missed the rifle.....contacted the member.....and bought it back!

If the rifle shoots well, make you happy.....well heck! Keep it!

Pahtu.
    Mr. Pahtu, I great appreciate the personal story and your general assessment of the gun. Not blowing smoke in your ear, but I have read things about you, and read things of yours..., and you are spoken highly of, thus I value your opinion greatly....I spoke with another member tonight, who said it is probably a rearsenal. If it was re-arsenaled around a shot out barrel and ole worn out parts, I wouldn't keep it, but it appears that every part is literally new, and the barrel lands and bore are strong and like new, so if your opinion is that it isn't a forgery of some kind, and actually has some unique features or "oddballities", ..I am tickled to death to have it Forever.
    13ColonyPatriot