Gunboards Forums banner

Husqvarna ID help, please!

870 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  NAZHawk 
#1 · (Edited)
The other day I was in my local GS, and picked up what I thought was a nicely sporterized 98k. I enjoyed taking sporterized 98s and getting them back to military configuration but after a glimpse at the receiver I realized I had a Husky. I've always wanted one of these but have never actually seen one and admittedly don't know a whole lot about them except that they have a great reputation. I do have a Husky M38, so I know the quality is there. The price seemed more than fair and long story short, the rifle didn't leave my hand after that... what I do know is that it's a 98 pattern, has an FN made receiver and is likely a model 146 or 640 from my research, although I may be way wrong. I think it was made around 1947 or 48 (serial # is 529xx) and it's chambered in 8mm Mauser. Its a gorgeous rifle, with only light handling marks. The bluing is 95% and the bore is very strong. It has the typical two stage trigger but it breaks very nice at 6-7 pounds, I'd estimate. Any help would be great, tell me what I don't know about this thing! This is one of those rifles that I'd have regretted for a LONG time if it hadn't come home.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Yes, it is chambered in 8x57. Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. Do you happen to know the production timeline for the 640? Here are some further pictures for those who asked. Also, can anyone confirm the latch on the floorplate? It seems aftermarket, correct? Lastly, did these come with a sight hood; are originals available if so?

Attachments

#10 ·
Just replace the floorplate, the plunger, and spring. Easy fix. These conversions do not usually entail any modifications to the bottom metal other than removing the plunger, retainer pin, and spring. Just put those parts back in and replace the floorplate and you should be good to go.

#11 ·
Ah, ok, good to know. A cursory glance made me think they had machine it a bit to allow the latch to rotate into position. It's actually kind of a cool upgrade, except that it's a bit loose and rinky-dink feeling. It doesn't fit the otherwise anvil-like rifle.

#12 ·
It's a model 648 built in 1947 using a transitional "commercial" or "H" ring FN 98 action - It may or may be a "C" or a "H" ring.
Starting in 1949, the "commercial" action was all set with the "solid left side wall", the elongated floorplate release and the rear brige without charger clip lips.
The late 640's (with a schnabel stock) sure came with the large sight hood but yours did not, unless the first owner bought one to put on, as it was pretty common to do.
I do have large sight hoods available, but I am in Canada.

Personally, I'd keep that floorplate release on if it's well done anyways... these were custom works and are part of the rifle's life and a good example of what was available in the '50's and '60's and '70's as aftermarket parts. And it's not like the 648 were a rare breed to come by.....

#13 ·
Thank you for all that great info! So, as a transitional model, with the typically military features...would this be rifle that they made as they were winding down military orders but had not gotten set up to make full blown commercial rifles? I love all the little historical details that go into the firearms I own. I do like the floorplate latch, and appreciate what you had to say about that. It's just a tad loose, but it still functional so I won't worry too much. I can't wait to take this thing to the range; I'm curious to see how accuarate it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.