Gunboards Forums banner

98K with ZF41 - what to look for?

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  kentomon 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: more pictures added in later post.

I found a 98K with a ZF41 at a local Cabelas of all places. I took some pictures but I'll be returning to take further more detailed pictures with a real camera. I'm not set on making an offer but I'm very interested but also aware I have little knowledge on the K98, let alone the ZF41 optic.

Attached are the first round of pictures I took. What should I zero in on for the return trip? It's my understanding that dou. did not equip the ZF41 onto these rifles from the factory but it could have been done by a field armorer. Any advice is very welcome. Also does anyone have a ballpark value on this? Some of you may recognize the pictures from a Mauser facebook where I posted these over the weekend.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
That's what I'm seeing as well. But my big question what kind of value is associated with a dou 44 rifle with ZF41 rail, authentic mount, and authentic scope if that ends up being what this is.

Also, I'm going to try and remove the scope and mount from the rifle to photograph/look at the mount and rail. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I saw a Forgotten Weapons/InRangeTV video where they were able to quickly remove it but it was unclear how exactly they did that. Thanks.

#6 ·
Forget for now about real or reproduction, how much were they asking?
If it's cheap enough, buy the darn thing and sort it out later.
Being Cabelas, they probably want 2K..

#8 ·
I know, they can be "off", I stole a SVT38 a few years ago..
But I mostly see $300/$400 rifles offered at $700, that is until I gave up and quit going in the store..
Methinks they are smokin crack on that ZF..

#12 ·
Checked it out again this evening. Beveled rollers, grooved base, none of the rifle matches, not even the front band or the buttplate. Follower wasn't serialized. Stamped floorplate. Bore looks extremely good, optic is clear as well. No markings whatsoever. I'll post pictures tomorrow... The mount definitely looked real, had quite a bit of wear on it including some significant pitting but this as with anything else can be faked. The screws on the scope rings definitely look like they've been messed with recently, which is apparent in my original pics as well

I showed them scans from a book regarding ZF41 production that someone shared with me on facebook outlining how dou. didn't produce any ZF41 equipped rifles and this was likely pieced together. They said the best they could do was $2100 so I walked out. Typical Cabela's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.