Gunboards Forums banner

Are 18 inch barrels going to be the next hot item

666 views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  ar10ar15man 
#1 ·
Lately I've been noticing more and more people are asking about 18 inch barrels. I'm not sure if it's the buzz of the military's MK12 rifle or people are just bored with the 16 inch M4 builds but it does seem like there is an increasing number are wanting an 18 barrel. Using the experience of milprelib I've been steering most towards an 18 inch/rifle length gas system/railed upper, my own 18 inch rifle is setup more like a short barreled A2 than anything modern and from his posts it seems like his does fairly well (I don't think rails can hurt).

Anyone else seeing a trend developing or this just a flash in the pan?

#2 ·
My Tavor with an 18" barrel out groups the Ruger 556 TD - 16" barrel - at 200 yards. The best ammo I've found for both of these is PMC X-Tac.

I'm patiently waiting for Ruger to see the light and offer 18" and 20" barrels for their TD, which in all other respects is an excellent AR.

#4 ·
bushmaster has had 18" uppers/rifles for over 20 years.
i have had my first 18" for about 15 yrs( a reycled hp 20" bbl)
i personally hate 16", i own just one, a 7.62x39 because it was all that was available.
i now have 3 18"s, but i tend to go for target, not blasting guns.
the mil has use for short bbls in an urban environment, but still needs
target rifles to remove "obstacles" at a distance.
it seems there are some that like have lots of variations, and they
do not cost much, so yes i think so.

#5 ·
My latest poodle shooter sports an 18"-er. I went with that length cuz' I already have 16"s and a 20"...just wanted something different. I couldn't pass up PSA's 18" stainless .223 Wylde upper for less than 300$...I'm just waiting on a nickle-boron bcg to arrive from PSA and then off to the range.

AR's really are a "Barbie doll" for men...so many configurations!

#6 ·
was thinking of building an upper with a Rev Arms 18" barrel,
they had some kind of single leading edge rifling that was supposed to be uber cool, and accurate..

they appeared to be **** up, and stiffed a bunch of folks

guess I should have bought one when they were set up behind us at a gun show

#9 ·
The 18" does seem to be the upper of choice of 3 Gun shooters and I think that accounts for its success and popularity. Lots of rail to hang onto and lots of rail to hang accessories upon and there is a legion of AR types that need all the rail space possible to hang stuff onto their weapons. More the merrier.

My PSA 18" stainless 1:7 Wylde chamber M Lok upper shot 9 inch groups easily at 800 yds when I was seriously doing all the basics and not slacking off. That was with 80 gr loads that I have tossed away because I have improved upon them and they've done sub MOA at 1000 yds out of Rock River NM rifle. Thus, I will retest the 18" upper at 800 for accuracy and then try to get to 1000 yds and hopefully shoot respectfully ..but I am prepared to live with 800 yds being optimum for the short 18" barrel and can be happy about it.

You can build a Mk12..theres a guy trying to off load one for $3000 on Va Gun Trader. Not the first to do so...seems these can be pricey builds and sink holes for money. If what I've seen is a trend...the planning to build a MK12 is not thoroughly investigated and after a ton of money, the build ends up LESS WONDERFUL.

Think what you want in such a build before shoveling money at it.

#12 · (Edited)
Mike ...is that a pencil style barrel or normal profile barrel ? They got same photo for a 16" version too and if its a pencil thin style barrel, that would be a deal breaker for me.

The reason a PSA railed 16" is of interest is because my son decided he needed one to shoot since he did not want to take his railed DDM4 Daniel Defense 16" out and mar or ding anything on the piece of jewelry that it is...lots of bling on the DDM4.

#14 ·
gentlemen and ladies,
IMHO
there are THREE reasons why high dollar ar's do not shoot well.
in reverse order:
poor ammo..at this point we are talking target ammo not mil 55/62.
poor shooter...pretty much self explanatory.
and the big one
POOR BBL.
AN AVERAGE BBL WILL NOT BE A TARGET RIFLE, nor will
a mass produced chamber be a target bbl.

building something that 'LOOKS" like a mk12, does not make it a mk12.

all the names gear add ons and high cost will not fix a poor bbl/chamber.

same answer as always spend once/cry once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.