Gunboards Forums banner

UN / U.S. Tanks in the Korean War

8K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  John A. Larsen 
#1 ·
In this thread I will post the LIFE Magazine pictures of UN / U.S. during the Korean War that I have accumulated;

#2 ·
Knocked out / abandoned North Korean T-34-85 tanks after the Battle of Taegu during the Korean War, also pictured is one of the U.S. M-26 Pershing tanks that knocked them out
The Battle of Taegu was fought from August 5-20, 1950
From the LIFE Magazine Archives - Carl Mydans Photographer

#12 ·
All look a bit "holy". Take a look at the bottom edge of the driver's hatch on the singleton at the lower side of the road. Ouch.

#14 ·
Some great photos, thanks. The 22 photo down, British soldiers standing to the right of th tank with the right tread off (hit a mine?) one of the Brits clearly has an M1 Garand clip on his belt? Other Brits look to be carrying No4's, wonder why he had the M1 clip? In the 32nd photo, three Brits to the right, the middle man with an M1 carbine, and the left hand man looks to have a cut down bayonet, similar to the link on the French cut down M1917 bayonets. John

#19 ·
Maybe - or a Leica 35mm with pretty slow film. Early 1950s, they often used those. And Rollieflex 2-1/4x2-1/4, as well as Graphlex 4x5 and 2-1/4x3-1/4. Cousin had one of those smaller Graphlexes. Wish I knew what happened to it. Be fun to play with, though film be a problem these days.

#21 ·
That T-34 with the banana-peeled muzzle is probably the victim of demolition by own crew or by passing UN troops. Probably plugged muzzle by stuffing a round in nose first and then firing another - if both are HE (especially, or HEAT), will get that effect. Usually screws up breech as well.

#22 ·
Thanks for the additional photos of the British soldiers plus 1 Australian in the last photo. Cap comforters (like a watch cap) , pullovers (sweaters) a Bren, No4's, Stens, and 44 pattern webbing. At this early date in the war probably the Middlesex or Argyll's who came up from Hong Kong, as they had the 44 pattern webbing issued as part of the Far East British Command. John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.