Gunboards Forums banner

Glad I bought a few from Simpson's

2K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  bigjack59 
#1 ·
Quality of the descriptions are (way) down, prices are up. Even raised the shipping prices...and the new website leaves a lot to be desired. Don't even tell you what the caliber of the rifle is.

I enjoy looking at the stuff they have as they always seem to have something unique, but I think I have bought my last one from them.

Sad....but I guess everything changes.

#6 ·
Before Simpson pre 1950's rifles unheard of unattainable, uninformed!

Treasure finding hunting these guns all over Europe has its limitations.
as the diffuclity of doing business and seeking new leads in dark govt, or personal involved others accumulating products to be sold......must be staggered with handicapping variables?
they have have a good repatation, brought great hard to find products To USA instead of them ending up in Canada.
every thing bought has difficulty attached.....THATS WHY 3# days review is important to gun trading.
right to refuse for misunderstandings the only salvation in taking back a returned product.

it do no one justice to "degrade a board sponcers in public forum" hard to replace board supporting companies!
i find it offensive I agree with Bmont.....
this is a private matter....best discussed PM's ....
in a logical approach to this mr Simpson should be given his chance to explain the difficulties of keeping good staff and explaing difficulties importing products with clear discriptions for sale.

collecting over 30 years Swede's ....I don't have a clue "start to finish" how simpsons has kept up this long?
Continuing researching gun modles, facts, reaching into the past....still gaining out of production products some unheard of when I started, Steve B, Lars, others collecting husky's!

be thankful of a good man ( traded two guns to him talked to / with him on phone "personally" earlie on.
I was impressed with his honesty, politeness and company's ability to produce product info, and carry on swede business ....like no other company's since tradewinds did when they were new. Nor before!
because pre 1950 rifles were in avaiable by trade winds.

"I'm not trying to offend anyone" right to free speach has to come with researched facts in collecting history....
just enlighten some info for people who didn't start back in the DARK AGES (days) before Simpson's!
><> daniel <><

#7 ·
Don't think I degraded anyone. Simply stated facts. Descriptions are down, prices are up, website is pretty close to useless.
I did inquire about their descriptions and was told that they did not have time to write better descriptions and to call about an item if I wanted more info. My translation was that their time is more valuable than mine (or Fred's or whomever answers that phone that day). They do bring in some cool stuff, but there is lots of cool stuff I can spend my money on.

#9 ·
I respectfully disagree. They have in the past offered very interesting rifles at what I feel were fair prices. They always had very detailed and for the most part accurate descriptions. he sales staff for the most part were very helpful in pulling an item and answering questions. Of the 100 or so rifles I bought over the years, I only had issues with two and only failed to get a resolution on one. The pricing was good enough on that one that it in reality was a non-issue.

However, in the recent past, the descriptions have become all but useless, the model numbers are wildly inaccurate, the chamberings often omitted, type of wood too. And despite this, their pricing has increased. Items that have been altered quite extensively are being offered at what previously they sold very nice, unaltered examples for.

I think it is perfectly proper to bring this up in an open forum because, if they care about their customers and the service they provide, they will appreciate the feedback and take it to heart. At least this way, they are hearing straight from the customers what their complaints are and have the chance to address these perceived short comings. You think it better to keep silent and let them continue on without hearing what it is that is turning their clientele away?

As a business owner, I for one appreciate hearing from a customer that thinks I dropped the ball somewhere. It gives me the chance to address the issue, to see what went wrong, make things right, and see that it doesn't happen again.

I agree that if I were one of their customers buying large quantities for resale, it would take all day to call and enquire about 10 or more potential purchases at a time.

#10 ·
I Was a business owner too.....would want a more direct conversation from dissatisfied customer!

"if" this is going to bring things to their attention maybe?

But getting hold of mr Simpson... letting in on this thread explaining weakness in his staffs ability to detail rifles is now occuring ?
Just maybe he would/ could shed some light?

like changes in staff lately?

Poor Pickens currently abroad?

no one here knows if his staff now goes through and reads from these sites?

I've for one do not remember Simpson posting?

"Rusty reel:
you haven't degraded anyone ......your intentions express your feelings, concerns problems encountered"!

I'm just thinking.... a more directed inquiry asking mr Simpson the source, about these things!

The best approach asking him, may reach clear answers for all yours, our, needs collecting..seeking?

just felt "twinges" of concern....for our hard to get, very important limited sponcers of these boards.

I was thinking this is not going to help anyone.... if he's not involved or aware of thread, yours and others concerns!
<>< Dan

#13 ·
The new website is heinous! I have bought dozens of guns from Simpsons, mostly rolling blocks, and was always glad for the quick reference ond ordering of the products on the old site. I was able to, at a glance, identify several guns at once and put a hold on them. The new format is going to be cumbersome, time consuming and not nearly as informative. Hard to make a quick decision. I hope they are reading these comments and take it to heart. I have seen other businesses tank from launching "new and improved" websites.

#15 ·
Dan,

While I agree that customers should communicate their displeasure directly to the business they are having issues with, I don't agree that it is wrong to post their dissatisfaction on forums such as this.

After all, these are forums for shooters/collectors, etc. and getting honest feedback about those in business to cater to these enthusiasts is part of the process.

My complaints to Simpson in the recent past have fallen on deaf ears. They have a new employee who started providing the descriptions. I called enquiring about some items I was interested in and found the on phone information to be about as useless as the online descriptions. I need a much better idea of what I am buying before I spend/invest my money on an item.

#16 ·
Z1r......I see more points of refrences that people are having the simular issues within ads / communications.
i delt with the owner on phone describing my two pistols I had
when doing estate sales....."he was buying from me sight un seen...."

Justbfrom my discriptions we came to a price suitable...
upon three day delivery ....near $800!
he recieved them....said I gave a fair appraisal of condition deal sealed!

he even sent me (without asking) a husquvarna sales booklet and letter inventory order sheet (Swiss Glasser ) a company ordering husquvarnas during 1920's.....free!
He bought the store found it.><> Dan

so in my dealings that one time, I saw a man of much integerdy and honest forth right business common sense!
He even invited me ( I'm unknown to him maybe even today) up to seclect a rifle of my choice described at a good price!
afterwards he was going to take me out for a meal.

I'm not a traveler of long distances....so never took him up on it....
It made a lasting impression on me.
late 1990's....><> Dan

#20 ·
New (posting) here but want to give a good review to Simpsons for the 3 beautiful Husqvarnas (among other things) I've bought from them over the last few years.
I find it hard to believe how much rifle you get for the money - even at the now slightly higher prices. I wondered why they didn't raise them sooner as they sold them as fast as they posted them.
Some stuff does seem priced higher than you might find elsewhere - but I feel I can trust them and it saves a lot of time looking (as much fun as that may be).
They also seemed to be willing to spend as much time as I needed to answer questions.
Also glad they went back to the old web site format.

#21 ·
One thing for sure ....
no one here knows one point....and not discussed or pointed out?

no one knows How much "they had to pay, import dues, shipping, handling repersenting some of the "higher" priced guns now for sale?

They MAY LOOK too HIGH to us!i
could be just recouping expenses, maybe making very little profit themselves?

i sure I've over extended, payed too much in trades, buying, trading over the years...
when I did sale....put price near what I had in it, just hoping someone needed it, wanted it enought like I did to put s little more into the rifle to fill a hole in their collection!

maybe not a great deal but they, I have the right not to buy, to bargain, or walk away!

I'm fortunate to have gotten in to the game very early with my collection...50's- huskys to the end of carl Gustaf.
haven't had to buy very used or what's left on the used markets now being imported in lesser conditions.
<>< Dan ><>

#23 ·
Yes, our web-launch did not go as planned. Many features did not work, and shipping was screwed up. Full descriptions and calibers did not show up. Many items were missing. We went back to the old site after many complaints.

The problem is, our old platform is out of date. We have fine tuned it and added features for over 20 years. But we have taken the base platform as far as it will go. The platform has to be updated to keep adding new features and updates.

We are now fixing the problems on the new site, and addressing the common complaints. It will look and operate more like the current site when we launch it again.

All of your feedback is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.