Default SKS still in active use, Bangladesh Army

Chicom SKSs with the ubiquitous chest rig.

http://i39.tinypic.com/1z2zrb7.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/14wqfs5.jpg
    Last edited by nathan; 12-19-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Why not? They are a fine weapon. Accurate and dependable. It's limited only by a non-detachable magazine.
    Keep your mouth shut
    And carry a big stick

Interesting photos. Thank you for posting them.
    Paul

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Very interesting indeed. I didn't think ANYONE was still using the SKS after the Vietnam era.

I didn't know they were still in use. They might be limited by 10 rounds, but I'd rather get buttstroked by an AK or AR .

Keith

Thanks for posting the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by trainsktg View Post
    I didn't know they were still in use. They might be limited by 10 rounds, but I'd rather get buttstroked by an AK or AR .

Keith
    I suspect that many third-world nations still use them, like in their reserve or militia detachments.

Looks like their mag pouches are empty. I would say a good weapon for units without a high amount of training. Semi auto forces them to aim better while given them a full auto weapon would just waste ammo.

also limits insurrections!

Interesting. May be National Guard or domestic forces vs national infantry as well.
    Last edited by AKBLUE; 12-19-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Since Norinco SKSs are now imported for sale to law enforcement only in the Philippines, one small town council decided to
    to buy several SKSs for their policemen (o better arm them) Its interesting bec the police are only armed with shotguns, norinco 45s and M 16s. SInce theres a shortage, they opt to get the SKSs which is more cheaper as offered by importers.

Quote Originally Posted by thebohunk View Post
    Why not? They are a fine weapon. Accurate and dependable. It's limited only by a non-detachable magazine.
    I agree wholeheartedly, but i dont feel the 10 round internal mag is a limitation considering what the SKS is designed for.

In the first picture, the one of the lone soldier, he has what appears to be a "chest" sling... that is, a sling whereby one can carry the rifle slung in front of you, in firing position. My Norinco is on the "regular" type of sling, for over your shoulder.
    Does anyone know who makes a "chest" type sling? I'd like to have that for my SKS.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    Since Norinco SKSs are now imported for sale to law enforcement only in the Philippines, one small town council decided to
    to buy several SKSs for their policemen (o better arm them) Its interesting bec the police are only armed with shotguns, norinco 45s and M 16s. SInce theres a shortage, they opt to get the SKSs which is more cheaper as offered by importers.
    Just out of curiosity, do you know what Chinese weaponry are present in the Philippines, and who has them?

This dealer sells Norc stuff but only few choices right now. Depends on supply at hand. Military grade firearms only for LEO.

http://www.hahn.com.ph/products.html
    Last edited by nathan; 12-20-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tribunicus View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly, but i dont feel the 10 round internal mag is a limitation considering what the SKS is designed for.
    True, it does depend on the intent. Of course a soldier with 30 round detachables is probably more "comfortable" than a guy with an SKS.
    Keep your mouth shut
    And carry a big stick

True, it does depend on the intent. Of course a soldier with 30 round detachables is probably more "comfortable" than a guy with an SKS.
    its true one wouldnt have to pause as often, but the person probably wont be spraying projectiles all over the place, they will actualy have to try to aim. and you dont have to worry about snagging your mag on stuff either

A list of small arms used in the Bangladesh military.

http://www.bdmilitary.com/index.php?...=article&id=71

The 30 round mag is a hindrance in the prone position.

Nothing wrong with the SKS as a battle rifle. Its usually more accurate than the AK and with stripper clips it reloads quickly.

I think if I was fighting in a city setting I'd rather have the AK and it's 30 rounds. But if I'm out in the boonies, the accuracy of the SKS would trump in my book. So yes, I think the SKS is a fine weapon and more than able to hold it's own in modern combat.
    Keep your mouth shut
    And carry a big stick

Quote Originally Posted by lwaldron View Post
    In the first picture, the one of the lone soldier, he has what appears to be a "chest" sling... that is, a sling whereby one can carry the rifle slung in front of you, in firing position.
    The blue-ish gray German slings are long enough for this. They are designed for an AK but I see no reason they wouldn't work on an SKS. The buttstock sling loop is only slightly too narrow, but I think it would work fine with a tiny pucker. The barrel end clips instead of having the leather loop but that should work too (though it may scratch the rifle's finish a bit).

They Made their own variant of SKS (With Chinese tooling) in mid to late 70's !