Gunboards Forums banner

Luxemburg M 1900 Mauser in 6,5x55

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Carcano 
#1 · (Edited)
One of the best-known and least-seen rare Mauser is the Luxemburg M 1900 rifle, almost a copy of the m/96 Swedish Mauser (and indeed built from leftover parts of the Swedish contract). An old thread in the Swedish Military Firearms Forum showed pictures of such a rare gun, unfortunately sporterized. Better photos than in the thread itself, where only two photos had survived, can be had at the poster's website in the pull-up menu:

http://mausersonline.spaces.live.com/

And here now is the thread:

TE53
Gunboards Premium Member
190 Posts
Posted - 05/02/2005 : 10:05:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently picked up this rifle with the serial number "L 352".

It has what appears to be commercial proof marks, and it is an Oberndorf 1900. I have read in Crown Jewels (pp. 71-73) that the Oberndorf factory presented Swedish officers with a rifle when they visited the factory. However, this rifle appears to have a standard military stock (unfortunately now sporterized by a previous owner) instead of the civilian version described in the book.

The proof marks and matching serial numbers are on the receiver, barrel, and straight bolt handle. The ejector box, floorplate, stock, and trigger guard are all marked 352. Other bolt parts have been replaced and the serials scrubbed. No other original parts exist.

Can anyone shed some light on what kind of Swede this is and the meaning of the unusual serial number?

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/TE53/200552214018_1900 OB L352-5.JPG
Download Attachment:
23.44 KB

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/TE53/20055221415_1900 ob l352-Bolt4.jpg
Download Attachment:
4.08 KB

Visit my site-- http://mausersonline.spaces.live.com/

Dutchman
Moderator - Swedish Military Firearms Forum
USA
1439 Posts
Posted - 05/02/2005 : 11:19:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Holy Luxembourg, Batman!!

That isn't a Swedish Mauser. It appears to be one of 500 m/96 type rifles built for Luxembourg. Never seen one before. Ball says 5,000, Olsen says 500. Known as the Model 1900. The serial number L-prefix is the give-away.

Can you do a full set of photos?

Edited by - Dutchman on 05/02/2005 11:35:57 PM

Brew_Ha_Ha
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member
555 Posts
Posted - 05/03/2005 : 08:01:00 AM

Neat find, never heard of a Luxembourg m96.

Cruffler
Gunboards Super Premium Member
USA
527 Posts
Posted - 05/03/2005 : 10:07:46 AM
Rare. I've heard of only a couple in the US.

TE53
Gunboards Premium Member
190 Posts
Posted - 05/03/2005 : 9:37:10 PM
Thanks for that interesting information!
I haven't taken any new pics yet, but here are some from the seller:

Download Attachment:
21.18 KB

Download Attachment:
44.03 KB

Download Attachment:
60.92 KB

Download Attachment:
40.29 KB

This is a scan showing the receiver and nearby wood after I have cleaned them up a little:
Download Attachment:
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/TE53/200553211410_1900 OB L352-new1.JPG
227.3 KB

It is disappointing that it is no longer original. It now has a Redfield peep sight and the front blade sight is from a 1903 Springfield (according to the seller).

The barrel was cut down to about 22 inches, and the stock ground down to a kind of Monte Carlo style. The exposed metal retains very little bluing. There is evidence of some rust pitting where the rear handguard ring would have been and also at the wood line on the barrel and trigger guard.

After I removed the damaged varnish finish, I found that the walnut stock has some tiger striping throughout. I plan to refinish with boiled linseed oil. I'll post some new pictures when available.

See less See more
#2 ·
Further Luxembourg Mauser additions from a later thread

But no pictures survived in tihs thread:

mman
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member
2357 Posts
Posted - 05/18/2005 : 07:31:44 AM
The nose cap/bayonet lug was the standard M1893/95 as found on the Spanish, Chilean etc contract rifles. Of coarse it would likely have unique proof/acceptance for such a "common" item....?

I have always been on the look out for a low numbered 1900 Oberndorf "M1896" with a "replacement" M93/95 nose cap.....:)
email at jcarnahan@citlink.net

Dutchman
Moderator - Swedish Military Firearms Forum
USA
1439 Posts
Posted - 05/18/2005 : 08:26:55 AM
I hadn't looked closely at the wood but that is the original military stock. Somebody *really* worked it over with a stock file.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. At the least we now know what the metal markings are for this model.

TE53
Gunboards Premium Member
190 Posts
Posted - 05/18/2005 : 9:13:20 PM

Some additional metal markings exist that I haven't mentioned.

Swedish crown stamps exist on the trigger, floorplate, floorplate catch, follower, ejector spring cover, ejector box, bolt sleeve, safety, extractor collar.

No crowns are visible on the receiver, barrel, trigger guard,cocking piece or bolt knob. The cocking piece is of the "fast lock time" variety and may be a replacement.

The stamped markings on the bottom of the receiver and barrel are shown below:
Download Attachment:
56.34 KB

From left to right:
1 a curly figure which may be a script "f"
2 another curly figure I can't decipher
3 on the base of the recoil lug is the number "4"
4 in front of the lug is a "c"
On the barrel:
5 Crown U and Crown B
6 another "4"
7 a large block "K"
8 a sideways "H"

An additional row of stamps on the barrel are shown below:
Download Attachment:
45.04 KB

1 a script "K"
2 below it an upside down "4"
3 a curly figure which may be a script "G"
4 "2"
5 "8"
6 "D"
7 "H"
8 near the sight base is a script "Y" which isn't clear in this pic

Kehaya and Poyer state that all parts are stamped with the
Swedish crown inspection stamp, but I can find none on the three main parts-- the receiver, barrel and trigger guard. There is no evidence that they have been scrubbed either.

swede
USA
1955 Posts
Posted - 05/18/2005 : 9:38:19 PM
There are so many errors in the Kehaya & Poyer book , I would not believe what they say . The small parts were probably left over from the Swedish contract , while the barrel , receiver & bolt were made just for the Luxembourg contract . I believe what you have is correct . If I recall correctly , Noel Schott has one as well . They are the only 2 that I have heard of . For sure there are others in the USA . Maybe the owners do not know what they have .

jwh2
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member
USA
726 Posts
Posted - 05/19/2005 : 01:58:25 AM
The "B" crown and "U" crown are Mauser Oberndorf commercial proofs.
Joe

TE53
Gunboards Premium Member
190 Posts
Posted - 05/20/2005 : 7:52:12 PM

Swede:
I have to agree with you on the K&P book. I also agree with your take on the rifle parts being a mixture of leftover Swede and new Luxembourg contract.

I just wanted to provide some data on one of these rifles and maybe cause other owners to provide other examples if they exist. I wonder how many were converted in some way and/or may be sitting in closets or attics collecting dust.

If anyone knows of any available pictures, please post the source or link!
Thanks,
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.