Default SSG-82 vs. SSG-69

I have a mint DDR SSG-82 with lens covers and extra magazine, and someone wants to buy it with my W.German ammo. I have a friend that wants to sell me a near new SSG-69, it is topped with a 4 power IOR scope that is cam'ed for the 7.62 168 grain bullet. The old owner of the rifle states that it is boring because it shoots so well.
    I once had a SSG-69, but sold it once I got my Remington 40-X Tactial. The gun was boring for the same reason.

I'm valuing the SSG-82 about $900, the guy with the SSG-69 was asking $1,200 at his shop, but I can have it for $850 and tax. It is a med.weight barrel, single trigger, spoon handle in a black stock, no iron sights.

This all sounds strange, the guy that once owned the SSG-69 traded it to my dealer friend, now he wants my SSG-82.

The SSG-82 is a much more rarer gun, but isn't as much fun as a SSG-69. I already have the 40-X, a M40, M1A and a AR-1OT in 7.62, so ammo isn't a problem.

I'm thinking this trade is too good to pass up.

What did you end up doing?

I wholeheartedly see the appeal of a tactical .30 cal bolt gun, but not in 5.45. With that said, if you already sold the gun once for lack of interest, what makes you think you won't want to sell it a second time? I tend to hold onto the good shooters (in this case the more boring the better), but if I lose interest in a particular weapon, which usually happens due to something in the design that turns me off, then I usually get rid of it for good. You have a nice group of .308s, btw.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides..From "Commonplace Book" by Thomas Jefferson.

The big thing here is what do you really want???
    I myself really like the SSG82. Its an oddball for sure but properly loaded ammo can be made up and it will shoot much better than the crappy military ammo shows. The big problem is that most folks seem to think "sniper rifles" should be good for headshots out to 1000yds and the 5.45 will never be there. It would be a great bunny gun out to 100 and maybe even 200 yds and its primary appeal is not its useablity but rather its air of mystery and its "neatness ratio" to coin a term. I've got other rifles I can use to hold off that bear attack or to pick off the stragglers from the elk herd at 750yds. I don't need the SSG 82 as a primary shooter so I'll keep it.
    Now the SSG69 is definately a utility piece with a purpose. The .308 is a much more versatile round and could be used for headshots out to at least 750yds. I've heard the story that they are so easy to shoot that they're boring too and is that really a bad thing??? I just picked up an SSG 69 with a suppressor and the original Kahles ZF69 scope and I'm pretty excited about it. I don't really have a purpose in mind for it since I'm not really much of a hunter but it would be a good useable rifle for just about any hunting I could ever want to do here in the US.
    The pricing you posted on both rifles seems pretty reasonable so it all comes down to what makes you happy and what your intent is.
    Good luck
    Frank

Default A vote for the SSG-69

The original quick detachable scope rings for a SSG 69 are several hundred dollars. If they are included in your deal the price is excellent. Rings can be either 1 inch(25mm) or 26mm, so beware. It is not uncommon for the Cycolac plastic stock to have a small crack near the magazine well. The SSG 69 is a sexy, historically significant sniper rifle. The SSG 82 is a curiosity. Get the SSG 69. Steyr is an iconic manufacturer.

As most know I heve "several" legit snipers including an older (1981) SSG69 w/ factory matched Zf69 scope, & a 10 round mag. One of my favorite shooters pretty much if I can see it well enough (old eyes) I can hit it. I don't think boring is the right word, I like "confidence" better. I have a SSG82 but as much as I hate to admit it, have never shot it. from what I understand, I probably need to order a spare steel trigger and replacement extractor, just in case! I agree with most of youif had to make a choice it would be the SSG69. Just my 2 cents - Skid

Both are very nice shooting rifles. Here are a few photos of mine. The SSG-69 PII has a Hensoldt ZF 500 10x42 scope. Both the rifle and scope were imported by "gun south" as a unit, and are marked as such. It was made in 1987. Code "ETY"

My SSG-82 has the standard ZF4 scope, but in addition I have a Carl Ziess Jena ZF6 DDR scope.

Enjoy!

I never met a gun I didn't like!
    Dogs are better people than most people.