Gunboards Forums banner

Westernfield auto browning design

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Albow 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a westernfield auto i have no id who it's made by, its a hump back and all it has is on the left side of recever is : made in usa for montgomery ward & co. Westernfield Automatic Browning design on bottom of recever is a # 8528 and thats it, its made of all steel and the barrel is 30" full, its in good con, but the action spring tube is broke and went back in the butt stock a inch or so and when shot it won't eject, the tube is aluminum and has threads, i got a A-5 tube but the threads are to fine, hard to get parts when I don't know who made it can anyone help? Thanks AL :confused:

#6 · (Edited)
Westernfield auto 12 ga

No no model # looked every were only # is 8528 thats it just has Westernfield Automatic trade mark Browning design made in u.s.a. for montgomery ward & co. and its in good con, so its not wore off i would think it would have one too but no go, the barrel has proof tested 12 gauge full thats all, the old butt pad has Sears on it but that could have been put on later, the gun was apart when i got it and no writeing any weres eles, could bring it to a gun shop and see what they say, I got maybe $70 in it, blueing is in dam good shape i re did the stocks cuz someone did them before and a bad job.

View attachment 141767 View attachment 141768

#11 ·
Westernfield auto 12 ga

I looked at some photos of a Savage 720 the front stock don't look like mine but I will check it out thanks!
Well i never found out what make it is but had my bro make a action tube for it and got it in but have not shot it yet, looks like it will work but who knows, and I rearranged the rings for light loads, allmost want to put up some phone books in the basement and try it out but the neighbors might think someones getting killed so I think ill wait tell i go up to the cabin :D

#9 ·
I saw an odd looking piece last night. It appeared at first to be an early version of a Browning 5. It was a hump back but the top of the receiver was not straight across the top, it had a "rolling contour" to it. Has a safety inside the triger housing in front of the trigger. the forearm stock is short and round. On the shell tube is stamped "browning Patent" on one side of the receiver is stamped "Western Field" a friend has inherited it along with several other non-descript shotguns and needs to a value on it so they can divide things up.:confused:

#10 ·
Is it a pump? That does sound like a 520. They had a funky square reciever with a step in the top. Browning designed and patented lots of guns that were produced by who ever paid for his design.

Back to your auto, do you remember the humpback shotguns that had knurled sections on the barrels? Worked the action by pushing the barrel back. Dont recall who made that one. Knew one old duffer that rabbit hunted with one.

#13 ·
shot gun

Well its been a long time but just to close this thing i had my bro make a spring tube for the auto westerfield and after a few a rounds and a few in and out on the Barrel (got to push down on the barrel and then tighing just right] it works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.