Gunboards Forums banner

Kessler Model 50 Levermatic shotgun

14K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Clyde 
#1 ·
How often do you see Kessler lever action shotguns? Which of the gages are the least common 12, 16 or 20?

They appear to have been made in 1950 prior to Kessler's bankruptcy.

#2 ·
For a few years after Kessler went out of business, Numrich was selling all the parts to put a lever action shotgun together. Numrich's cataog at one time mentioned that they sold parts to Marlin that was the start of the development of Marlin's Levermatic .22 rifle.

I have seen a few levers over the years and have one 12 ga as well as a bolt action Kesslser cutaway. Kessler did alot in the few years they existed.

#3 ·
I've never seen one, or one for sale. There are always a few bolt actions on GB. Just guessing that the 16's are the "rarererest". Forgive my nose, but are you buying or selling?

#5 · (Edited)
My price guide book says,"Lever action, takedown, 12-,16-,20 ga. 3 shot magazine; 26,28,30" barrels. Full choke, uncheckered pistol-grip stock; recoil pad. Introduced 1951, discontinued 1953. Exc: $100. VGood: $70. Good: $50. Thats all. My old book lists $125-150. Neither have a picture of one, but the old book, (1989) adds that it is uncommon and unusual.
The interesting part was the "short-throw" lever, which I think could be worked by just opening and closing your hand.
Specific questions?
A collection of each barrel length in each guage would probably be unique.
If you could, I'd like to see pictures.

#7 ·
Model 50

I have a collection of the bolt action Kessler bolt action shotguns. I have a 16g, 20g, and a 12g of the model 28 and model 30. I also have some catalog inserts and a store display for the model 50.
I have been looking far and wide for the model 50, but no luck.

Here is a ad for the line of Kessler shotguns from 1952.

#8 ·
Thank you for the responses to my post.

Sorry, I have been away from this post for a while. I'll see what I can do about taking some images of the Kessler.

With the gun came an original "Owner's Guide" with interesting information, such as: "How to fire at high speed with your Kessler LEVER-matic." It states in part: "A slow, unsteady movement of the lever will not be effective. Since this is an entriely new type of gun, your previous experience can not be adapted to its use, but practice will perfect your speed."

Best regards,
Greg

#15 ·
Thank you for the responses to my post.

Sorry, I have been away from this post for a while. I'll see what I can do about taking some images of the Kessler.

With the gun came an original "Owner's Guide" with interesting information, such as: "How to fire at high speed with your Kessler LEVER-matic." It states in part: "A slow, unsteady movement of the lever will not be effective. Since this is an entriely new type of gun, your previous experience can not be adapted to its use, but practice will perfect your speed."

Best regards,
Greg
I have only seen one 12 ga lever by Kessler when I was about 14 yrs old and the guy that had it said he would never sell it due to its rarity. I'm 73 now and that's the only one I've seen in all that time . I've seen a few bolt action models but I never bought one after I found out you can't remove barrel cause barrel and receiver were one piece

#10 ·
Ok, at last I made some images:

20 Ga. LeverMatic

Action all the way open.

The action and barrel were made of the same piece of bar stock. Lots of interesting and cost cutting design ideas went into Kessler's LeverMatic. They did make a nice walnut stock for it.

Best regards,
Greg

#11 ·
Wow! That is sweet! I would like to have one. I keep looking for one to add to my collection.

The Kessler Levermatic was the gun Marlin patterned / copied their 22 levermatic from. It turns out that Mr. Kessler didn't own the Patent for the action. A shop foreman owned the patent. Marlin paid him $1.00 for every Marlin Levermatic sold.
That would have been a nice retirement plan. :rolleyes:

#12 · (Edited)
Kessler lever and bolt action cutaway pictures

Shown are my Levermatic 12 ga. and a factory cutaway of the bolt action shotgun that was made for dealers displays. Another interesting Kessler item to look for it the five place vertical gun rack made by Kessler using two bolt action wood stocks as end pieces of the rack. Again the rack was made for dealers.

#13 ·
Shown are my Levermatic 12 ga. and a factory cutaway of the bolt action shotgun that was made for dealers displays. Another interesting Kessler item to look for it the five place vertical gun rack made by Kessler using two bolt action wood stocks as end pieces of the rack. Again the rack was made for dealers.
I have not seen the 5 gun rack, but I have a three gun rack of this description. My grandfather had a hardware and furniture store from 1912-1989

#18 ·
I don't think I knew about mass production engines with en bloc head and block castings. Huh - learn something new each day. One thing for sure, no problem with blown head gaskets.

Not sure it would be an idea worth pursuing for diesels. Had enough head-gasket problems with "multifailure" LDS-465s in the long-ago when i was a 4815 Mech Maintenance Officer to make it seem like something worth trying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.